1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVD+RW can be read on computer but not detected by DVD player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Sakuya, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Sakuya

Sakuya Member

I just installed a new DVD writer, Sony DRU-840A SS00, then uninstalled Nero 6 and installed Nero 7. However, the discs I burned onto DVD+RW (as test discs) can be read on the computer but they can't be detected by my DVD players. I've used the Legacy DVD+RW for years now as test discs and it has played all the time in the past, which is why I believe it's my DVD writer. I have tried using Nero 6, Nero 7, CloneDVD, TDA to burn DVDs. I also tried to burn data discs for my DivX player and CDBurnerXP worked only once, my second burn couldn't be detected by the player. I've burned twice with ImgBurn and it seemed to work for now.

Does anyone know of a solution? Could it be that I pushed in the pins too hard when installing the drive or something? I didn't install any driver, there was none. There is also no firmware for download. Any help is appreciated. :[

2. attar

attar Senior member

If the disk plays on the PC, then you would expect it to be good on the standalone too.
    If you do a surface scan with Nero Tools and no errors are apparent, consider switching to another brand of +RW disk (have you risked a -R or +R yet?).
    The review below, reports good results with Memorex +RW (looking closely at the image shows the disk to be manufactured by Ritek).

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Son...t-DVD-Burner/DVDR_RW-writing-performance.html

3. Sakuya

Sakuya Member

The surface scan in Nero turned up 0 errors. However in Nero InfoTools, I got that my DVD writer's DMA is off. I changed it and DMA is now on, however my data disc still does not play when burned in Nero 6. Here is what Nero InfoTools gives me with my old drive Sony DW-U18A and my new drive Sony DRU-840A. Notice that the drive type is different. Does that mean anything?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  4. attar

attar Senior member

If by type you mean the 'RAM' part, it just means it can handle DVD-RAM disks.
    I see in the first post you installed Nero 7 but are now back to Nero 6, did you use the Nero Clean Tool?
    Maybe post a Nero log and see if someone can see something.

http://my.afterdawn.com/locoeng/blog_entry.cfm/385

5. Sakuya

Sakuya Member

No, I didn't use the Nero Clean Tool. I just uninstalled Nero 7 from Add/Remove programs and then uninstalled "neroxml". And then reinstalled Nero 6. Neither version produces DVD-player-compatible discs. Either way, I just got another drive, Sony DW-G120A MYR5. This time it works on the player, even though it wrote incredibly slowly.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  6. attar

attar Senior member

Post the latest log in the Nero area.

7. Sakuya

Sakuya Member

Does it matter if the IDE cable is connected to the DVD writer using its middle connector instead of its end connector? Since I don't have the drive anymore I can't test it out. But it was on Master and connected via the middle connector since my previous drive before that was that way. And my DVD writer is my only drive.

8. attar

attar Senior member

One device on an ide cable should be on the end of that cable.

The Master, of two devices, should be on the end of the cable.

Generally, hard drives go on the Primary IDE cable, optical devices on the Secondary cable.

If a device is alone, in the centre of the cable, then electrical signals can go astray - because the end of cable should have a termination - a device is a termination.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  9. Sakuya

Sakuya Member

That's strange, I've never had problems while connecting it to the middle connector for my previous writer.