1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVDs Don't Play on Home Theater Equipment

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by TechExec, Jan 10, 2005.

1. TechExec

TechExec Member

Hi All,

This is my first post in this forum. I've been reading around the posts and this appears to be the right place for this question...

I have an external TDK DVDRW0404N attached via USB 2.0. It burns CDs just fine (they can play in a PC or in a CD player). It copies DVDs (depending on various characteristics) reasonably well.

It burns DVD-R and DVD+R in a manner that seems slow, but reasonably consistent and they work on virtually any relatively new PC (last 5 years) with a DVD drive and the proper software to view the contents.

Here's where the stuff gets ugly...

I have a Pioneer DV-C36 5-disc player in my home theater setup that I love. It is a great player that produces very solid video playback and excellent audio.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get ANY media from the TDK recorder to play in the DV-C36. I burned a VCD, a SVCD, a DVD-R, and a DVD+R on the drive and they all worked great in my PC and then would produce nothing more than a "scratched album" sound on the Pioneer equipment. No picture at all. If I remember how to navigate any menu presented, I can use the remote control to move around and get more "scratched album" sound, but no video.

I've contacted TDK and Pioneer, but neither has anything constructive to say about the problem.

Any ideas?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TechExec

TechExec Member

In working with TDK, we discovered that Roxio Easy Media Creator v7 is placing a folder on the resulting media called ROXIOPLASMA in addition to the standard folder named "VIDEO_TS".

We are working on changing the settings (if at all possible) to prevent that other folder from appearing.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

3. TechExec

TechExec Member

Sorry... another update.

I tried the burned disc in an older Toshiba player in another part of the house. Received a "Disc Error" response. Then I tried it in a newer Memorex 9" travel TV/DVD player combo. The menu came up fine, but when I selected a chapter, the player stopped working. I had to power it down just to get the disc back.

I will try Roxio support next.

Anyone else run into anything like this?

4. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

I have been having stopping issues too.
    Using DVD Shrink with various types of media (Fuji, Sony, Maxell) and burning at slow 4x speeds, I have been having trouble with copies playing in my two stand along dvd players (Toshiba & Samsung).
    Some copies play fine (all the way through) and others stop 15mins in, 35mins, in or 1 hou into the movie. I too have to power the dvd player off to get the disc out.

I know what the "pros" on the site might say or suggest and beleave me, I've read through and tried just about all of their suggestions.

Still, I have these problems with play back.
    I have a:
    Sony DDU1621 dvd rom drive
    Sony DRU-540a dvd burner (I've been reading is not the best) So I ordered a Pioneer 108 today.
    My PC is a 3.0ghz P4 with 2 gigs of ram and 520gigs of total harddrive space. But still I do not multitask when ripping/burning.

Can anyone help ?
    The only thing I could try if the Pioneer doesn't make a difference is changing my dvd player but most of my copies don't even work on my friends dvd players. Help....please.

5. TechExec

TechExec Member

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, I just received word from Pioneer Electronics. The DV-C36 does not play DVD recorded media. They support CD and CD-R, but not SVCD or any recorded DVD. Darned shame.

Looks like it's time to buy a new DVD player...

Thanks for all of the help.

Regards,
    TE

6. JohnCue

JohnCue Guest

It's a very nice peace but it's a little much for a DVD player don't ya think ?
    Especially since most of these guys say that the El Cheapo type DVD players play burned dvds with less problem then the name brand ones.

Go cheap next time if you want to burn. : )
    It is nice though.

7. jasadell

jasadell Member

I'm having the same issue with DVDs burned on my Sony DRX-530UL USB2 external DVD burner and playing them on my Sanyo DWM-270 standalone DVD player. I burned a few on TDK 4x DVD+R that worked fine. Afterword I've tried Imation 4x and 8x DVD-R, as well as Fujifilm 2x DVD-R that would either not play at all, or would play for a while and hang. Hmm. As I type this I realize that I have only burned successfully on +R DVD media. I'm going to get a few +R DVDs and try to prove or disprove this theory. I will post my results.

8. colw

colw Active member

Go for an el cheapo Chinese player.

The major manufacuters/brand names have no interest in supporting the playback of burned DVD's and make it as difficult as possible to playback burned DVD's

Most el cheapo's will play anything - even your dirty dinner plate.

9. jasadell

jasadell Member

OK, here are the results of my findings: The burned DVD+R plays just fine on the Sanyo Model DWM-270. However, the DVD-R will only play in this player if there are no chapters and the clips are in order on the media. My test for this was to take a burned project, run it through DVDShrink to remove the chapters and rearrange the clips in order. Afterward it worked fine (but so much for all my work on the fancy chapters). The good news is that for all the DVD-Rs that I burned, simply copying them to DVD+R made them playable. For mine at least, copying was far quicker than burning from SonicDVD again because I was doing significant video editing. I bet that doing a Direct-to-DVD job from the Mini-DV camcorder to DVD-R would play just fine, too. However, I have enough coasters now and I'd rather not waste anymore DVDs.

10. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I had a simular problem it ended up being dvd rom drive sony(DDU1621). When I use my new drive Sony (DRU710A) to read and write all of my playback problems went away. DDU1621 seems to read D9 media fine D5 media is another story, never errors out just problems playing after burn no matter what media or burn speeds, long story short your read is just as important as write. Use Verbatium, or Tiyo yuden media it's the best. As far as -R verses +R, Some settop dvd players like both some like one or the other. Not sure if there is any info here on this site for settop players but vcdhelp.com has a list and what media is compatable on them, I have had very good results with Apex players I have a 1150 and 2500. 2500 little nicer player than 1150 either one of them will play just about anything I've even burned Mpeg1 and 2 files straight to dvd disk it plays um.

Good Luck

Spacedust..

11. blais262

blais262 Member

I am currently using DVD X Copy Platinum v. 4.0.3.8 to burn DVD movies. I can burn movies just fine but I can't play them on my Toshiba DVD player SD-412V that support DVD-R. I'm using Kodak DVD-R 4x disk with a brend new BenQ DW1620 burner.
    [bold]My firend has a HP burner and I can play his DVD's on my Thosiba player.[/bold] I also give him one of my blank DVD to make a copy and it works fine in my Toshiba player. The BenQ burner is set to write DVD-R. I verify that with the utility from Benq. Anyone has an idea ?

12. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Blais262

Maybe your burner does not like that media. Your friend is using a diffrent burner than you. Go to Benq website and see what media they recommend

13. jasadell

jasadell Member

Although my player will only play DVD+R, it seems that most players (appx 2/3) play only DVD-R.

14. jasadell

jasadell Member

Get this. I copied finished video DVD+R to DVD-R (for archiving), and the DVD-R will not play on the Sony external DRX-530UL that burned it! However, it plays just fine in my 2-year-old laptop DVD player, which is a QSI DVD/CDRW SBW-081. It plays the video DVD+Rs that it burns. What's up with that?

15. persisten

persisten Guest

Starting with the latest problem, I burned a slideshow onto a DVD using ProShowGold version 2.5.1620 updated March 9, 2005. My first burn was of a slideshow created using JPEG images and MP3 audio. I used about 80 jpeg files and 1 mp3 song to make the slideshow. Using my new Philips DVD+-RW DVD 8631 burner I successfully burned a copy of the slideshow. To test whether it would play in a stand alone DVD player, I tried the disc in my new Magnavox DVD Video Combo, MAG/20MC4204 and it played flawlessly. (I also successfully tested this disc in a Sylvania DVD/TV combo). Next, it played perfectly in a Sony DVD Player/Video Cassette Recorder, SLV-D350P. However, it would not play in my old year 2001 RCA DVD Player RC510P. I used Verbatim DVD-R 1X-4X media (made in Taiwan) and checked the maximum burn speed in the options menu and it burned within the 1X-4X range. Because it did not play on the RCA player, I went to another computer, recreated the same slideshow, used the same media from the spindle of Verbatim DVD-R discs, and burned it on a Plextor DVDR PX-712A 1.01 burner. It registered a successful burn and this time the show played on the RCA player but only the Intro from ProShowGold came in on the Magnavox player and on the Sony it would take me to the menu but wouldn’t allow me to select the play option (or the loop option) and only played the music intro but not the whole show. Sure would like to know what is happening and if there is a solution.