1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVDs play on standalone players, but not on Portable DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RBLACK66, Apr 8, 2005.

1. RBLACK66

RBLACK66 Guest

I have an Optorite DD405 DVD burner and I have no problems making DVDs that will play on my Sony Progressive Scan DVD player and my APEX, but they will not play on my ($400) Initial IDM-1210 portable player. I have a few purchased burned DVDs (off EBAY); They appear to play fine on the portable. I called the Manufacturer and they said they don;t guarantee it to play any burned DVDs, so I have kinda given up. Then I borrowed my friends JVC DR-MV1S DVD recorder and ALL of those DVDs played on my portable. Oh Yeah, I have used all the same media Meritline Great AZO 4x (-R). I tried some Maxell, but no difference.

So the question? What can I do to make my OPTORITE DD405 burn more compatible with my portable? Or should I just get another DVD writer?

Programs used:
    Windows XP Pro
    Nero 6.0

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

What setting do you use when you burn with Nero? Try 'DVD-Video' or maybe you'll need to stick with name-brand media like TDK, Fuji, Verbatim, or even Memorex. Some DVD standalones are picky about media. Sonys will play anything.

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

What is the actual media code off those disks? ProdiskS03 ?
    That media also would not let me play on a portable 8" DVD Player.

4. RBLACK66

RBLACK66 Guest

Thank you for your responses!!!

I have Nero set for DVD-Video. I tried the Maxell -R because I read that they are really good. I'm considering the Ritek. I heard Memorex made good burners, but poor media.

How can I check the Disc's Media Code? Nero would let me check disc info. That how I found some of my Ebay disc were +RW, but I could not tell what brand.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Under Nero Ultra:

Nero Tool Kit,
    Nero CD-DVD Speed,
    Extra,
    Disc Info...

6. RBLACK66

RBLACK66 Guest

I checked the disc info and none of them said PRODISKS03. My Great AZO disk said Manufacturer "Vanguard" with code VANGUARD, and my Maxell Disks said Manufacturer "TYG01" with no Code. All Disks said Usage "General". I double checked and the MAxell disks did play this time, but I think I may have a problem with the Portable Player. It just seems to be too tempramental. Sometimes it will play a burned disk, others it will not. I did upgrade to Nero 6.6 If you have any more ideas I would be greatful.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

RBLACK66

It's the media!!!

The ProdiskS03 will not play on my wife's laptop, our 8" portable DVD player and also one of my DVD-ROM drives.

Mine was called Memorex DVD-R 4X back over a year and a half when I didn't know any better. Also any PRINCO media code will probably not play as well.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005