1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burned DVD's won't play in player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by starsail, Feb 10, 2007.

1. starsail

starsail Member

Hi,

I have been burning DVD's for more than a year with no problem. I use dvdshrink and nero 6 and DVD Fab when needed. Two weeks ago my burner that has burned hundreds of movies and countless CD's apeared to stop. I thought nothing of it seeings it was a gift and it would make perfect sense that it had finally worn out.
    So I proceeded down to circus city and picked up a new Memorex 16X and installed it. The new burner cam with a fresh copy nero 6 so i assumed all would be well.
    Most of the movies I burn now will only play on my computers(80%).
    Half of the time they will omit everything but the main movie but these are about the only ones that play on my Denon DVD player, I should say some of them will play.
    I reinstalled shrink and FAB but that didn't help. Also shrink will not open nero I have to wait for shrink to tell me that it saved the files and then I have to open Nero and inport the files.
    The whole mess has me sweating and I'm about to fromat my desktop and try to go back in windows to a time where I could stand it.

Please help me soon,
    Greg

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You probably downgraded your Nero by installing the OEM version that came with your drive. Even if it came with the full, latest version of Nero 6 it would stop you from autoburning with Shrink. For some reason the final few versions of Nero 6 can't do this.

Run Nero's clean tool to completely remove the current version.
    Nero CleanTool:
    http://www.nero.com/nero6/enu/General_CleanTool.html

Download and install the least buggy full version of Nero 6. You need both packages so you get all the Nero applications:

Package 1:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/Nero-6.6.0.18_no_yt.exe

Package 2:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/NVE-3.1.0.21_no_yt.exe

Please post your last NeroHistory log so I can see what else is going on.
    Find your logs here:
    C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\NeroHistory.log

Leave out your Nero serial number when you post your log. Also make sure you look at the date and time on the log so you just post one only. We do like to see the entire thing though.

You should run the free CCleaner at some point. This is becoming one of our favorite registry and PC clean-up tools. Just download and install then have it "Scan for Issues".
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  3. starsail

starsail Member

Hi,

That fixed the problem, It runs just like it used to. I can't tell you how much I apperciate your help and how much time you saved me by spoon feeding me the correct information. This is one of the few times someone has nailed my problem. Face it your the best :)

Greg Deering

4. woodardtq

woodardtq Member

Gentleman,

I have a question for you. I have been making backups of my movies for years, and they seem to always play fine on my laptop dvd player without a problem at all.

But they always have problems playing on my home dvd player. The pixalate real bad, and the audio is choppy. It seems if I move forward or backwards it goes away for a little while but then it comes back. But I never have a problem with these dvd's on my laptop.

Is this just my dvd player, it is a cheap Samsung DVD player from Target - But I don't know.

Got any ideas for me.

Thanks

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

First make sure you are using good media. It makes a big difference. I recommend Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. Cheap media will cause the exact problem you mentioned.
    Take a look here and see where your present media rates.

Generally the cheaper the player the more likely it is to work with burned media. I know my $30.00 E-bay Emerson will even play some coasters. But obviously that's not the case here.

You can try changing to a different format, ie switch from -R to +R media.

Depending on your burner brand and model, you may be able to change the "Booktype" to DVD-ROM which is the most compatable format for DVD players to digest.

As far as burning goes, try burning at 1/2 the rated speed of the media and try not to burn too close to the edge of the disc. With Shrink, set your target to custom and the size to 4364MB if using cheap media.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  6. woodardtq

woodardtq Member

I use good media - atleast I think I do. Check out this link

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201746002&loc=101&sp=1

Also, I use to think it was because of my media, so I switched to this TDK version thinking the problem would go away. Maybe it is just my DVD player at home. But why does it always work on the laptop on not on my home player. I mean I can be trying to watch a movie on my home dvd player, then it starts to skip and pixalate, I just pop it in laptop and it works flawlessly.

I will try burning it slower and see how that does. I just like the speed of the burn and hate burning slow.

Got any more ideas.

7. Playr

Playr Regular member

These +R TDKs are not too good. They usually code out as CMCs. The -R TDKs are a tad better but you're better off w/ the TYs, verbatims or even Sony. Good luck.

8. woodardtq

woodardtq Member

Thanks for the update. Can you post a link of exactly the correct disk that you suggest I get. Which do you use and what are the one's you have had the best luck with

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

you can get Verbatim at like Best Buys, Sams Club etc. or if you can find Sony or Fujifilm thats "Made In Japan" they will code out as Taiyo Yuden or just buy the Taiyo Yuden online as alot of us do at.i use the DVD-R reason being there less expensive online than the DVD+R. some like the DVD+R better if you do decide to go with DVD+R booktype them to DVD-ROM

http://www.supermediastore.com

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2007
  10. woodardtq

woodardtq Member

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

TYs is the top rated blank media out there. you can't go wrong getting them

Taiyo Yuden are more compatible with dvd players etc. and the quality is top notch take our word for it

12. Playr

Playr Regular member

Either the TYs from the previously mentioned places or

Verbs from here:

Link

Link2

Link3

Links 2 & 3 are good both online or B&M.

Enjoy

13. woodardtq

woodardtq Member

Not to sound to much like a newbie, but does the speed matter. Someone before you said the speed mattered and I should burn it at a lower speed. Obviously I want to burn it at a higher speed for the burn time.

Also, you sent me links to Verbatim CD's, but shouldn't I buy them from the http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-16x-dvd-r-4-7gb-shiny-silver-finish.html store.

Let me know what speed you think, but I am going to try the 16X first.

You have been a big help, maybe I can answer some of your questions some day.

Thanks,

Woodard

14. Playr

Playr Regular member

What? I assume you're addressing your last comment to me, soooo, I recommend you take a 2nd closer look at those links. They are indeed DVDs. Don't let the low prices fool you. These are top notch.

Always burn at 1/2 the media's rated speed BTW.

Good luck.

15. woodardtq

woodardtq Member

why is it, that you have to burn at half the speed of the media. What is point of having faster media?

Just doesn't make since

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

burning movie files at 16x is bad news causes to many read errors playback problems etc.

Burn at 8x MAX for best results . it doesn't take that much longer.

buying the 8x or 16x speed doesn't matter. just make sure if you get the 16x speed that your drive/burner has up to date firmware to support the 16x media

so its ok to burn 8x media at 8x . thats what i burn all my Taiyo Yudens at

17. Playr

Playr Regular member

I usually just stick with the 1/2 rated media speed rule but different strokes for different folks. As long as you find your happy medium.

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yup 8x works on my rig fine since its above par

Antec Nine Hundred Mid-Tower Gaming Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB Socket 939/ Seagate160GB Barracuda/ Westeren Digital Raptor 150 GB Sata/NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2,1 GB of GDDR3 Memory / CORSAIR XMS 2GB DDR SDRAM (PC 3500)/AMD Opteron 185 Dual Core CPU OC(ed) to 2.87 GHz/Zalman CNPS-9500 LED Cooler/2-Plextor PX-716A Drives/Lite-On SHW-160P6S/View Sonic-VX2245wm 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 res. 5ms Respone Time

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

SHOW OFF

lmao

20. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

cincyrob- Naw ! you just braG alot LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just Kidding ! Nice set up Though ! - New Pics up !!! - as The Late James Doohan { Scotty from Star Trek} would say " Let's Go see!!!!"