1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner died?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ravens1, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

Ok, i will try the overlay method. But how do i set my computer to boot from the cd?

2. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

To set your computer to boot to the CD drive is set in the BIOS. Try putting your XP disk in the CD drive and reboot. Most computers are set up to sense a disk in the CD drive and give you the option to boot from it before going to the hard drive.

The key strokes to enter the BIOS varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. There have been attempts to standardize to hitting the "Del" key as the first firmware screen appears. I have also seen F2 and "Ctrl Del". If you do go into the BIOS, be VERY CAREFUL. You can REALLY mess things up.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  3. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I got it loaded when my firmware screen appeared it said press any key to boot from disc or something. Now i repaired my configuration by pressing "R." But when my computer went to restart, i still get the firmware screen, but the screen with the options doesn't appear after that, which is good! But, after being excited for a couple seconds, my computer get to the screen where it says Windows XP is loading and reboots, just like every other time. Should i do a fresh install instead of repairing it? I will still have my pictures and documents after the fresh install?

4. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I always get the firmware screen when I first boot up. The screen should be showing the make & age of your bios and some of your video card info. The only time I don't get the screen is if I turn the monitor on after I turn on the computer.

I've encountered something similar to what you are experiencing. First, shut your computer down (hold down the power button for about 30 seconds if it is a rebooting loop) and then do a cold boot. Try to get it to boot into Safe Mode. Then shut it down again. Do this about 4 or 5 times. XP has a limited self repair function which checks and does repairs. These repairs are temporary until the machine has sucessfully completed 3 cold boots and shutdowns.

If that didn't work, try doing another re-load of the operating system. Then go through cold boot and shut down cycle again.

Again, if this doesn't work, then do a reload but be sure NOT to format! If you do, your files are lost.

Good luck,

Keep us informed.

5. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I always get that screen with my bios on it when i first turn on my computer. But after that screen i get the firmware screen.

I can not boot into safe mode. I am able to push F8 upon startup which takes me to a blue screen which asks what device i want to boot. When i push the button for safe mode which is F6 (which always worked for me), i cant get it. It doesn't matter how fast i press it; my computer just keeps on loading.

Also, i get prompted to use automated system recovery. What exactly is this function?

I don't know why, but the part before the repair inst working. I push R to repair and it takes me to the recovery console which asks for my admininstrator password for my C://Winnt location. I just push enter without typing in a password, and my pc just freezes.

Thank you very much :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  6. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

7. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Since you cannot boot into Safe Mode and your computer freezes when you go the the recovery console, I think you need to take your computer to a computer professional, which I am not.