1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner Firmware

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by viper0478, Dec 23, 2005.

1. viper0478

viper0478 Member

Thanks for all the help Shadow.

First things first. I'll try to find the TS11 firmware. Is it a "hacked" firmware ? I have checked the Samsung firmware page and the last "official" one was TS06.

Then I'll try CopyToDVD and check the correct settings.

I'll keep you posted about my results after I try this.

Thanks again !

2. LarrxX

LarrxX Member

Viper, you can get your firmware from here: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

And AFAIK the TS11 firmware is not "hacked". I used to have a program called Live Update that checked my firmware version and downloaded new releases; got it off the Samsung website somewhere. You could try that if you can find it, it's a peach (and it's written in really bad English, my guess being by some Korean guy :) )

3. viper0478

viper0478 Member

Thanks LarrxX. Actually I was right: the TS07 is the newest firmware for my TS-H542A. The TS11 is the latest firmware for the TS-H552B, your burner LarrxX.

Anyway, I'm going to burn a backup using CopyToDVD and see what happens.

Regards

4. LarrxX

LarrxX Member

Not to burst your bubble viper, but I tried CopyToDVD and it didn't do the trick for me. Maybe it's because of all these different settings shadow talked about.

Shadow: could you tell us what are the "correct" settings for CopyToDVD please?

5. viper0478

viper0478 Member

Hello all.

Shadow: do you think you could direct us to the "proper" settings of CopyToDVD ??

Thanks in advance.

6. shadow82

shadow82 Member

Sorry about the late reply. Here's a quick setup, make sure these are checked.

File System :
    * ISO 9660 (MS-DOS)
    * Joliet (long name and asian characters)
    * UDF 1.02 (DVD movies and very large files)

About:
    Software version should be 3.1.2.136 for the latest.

Writing devices:
    *Make sure the correct burner is set and check prompt
    *Maximum writing speed for DVD media. Make sure this is set to the recommend speed of the media.
    *Support HD-BURN
    *DVD-R SAO first

7. nsx88

nsx88 Member

can someone please tell me what DRE stands for, a abbreviation for something very crucial.

thanks.

8. shadow82

shadow82 Member

DRE = Disc Read Error

9. nsx88

nsx88 Member

thank you, I knew it wasn't a good thing after reading this topic.

does this hang the gc or does the game just collapses?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  10. shadow82

shadow82 Member

The game would just collapse and die. At least with me, DRE's occur if its a bad rip. Like the very very old games I've had a couple DRE's but thats it.

Bad Media
    Bad Burner
    Bad Burning Software
    Bad Cube(laser, drive, chip)
    Bad Rip

All these could 'cause DRE's

11. viper0478

viper0478 Member

Thanks for the settings shadow.
    I'll try them on tonight. I'll post the results on monday.

Regards.

12. shadow82

shadow82 Member

Hey Guys,

This is a really good program to check disc quality of ur NGC games after or before they are burnt. I used it already on a few DVD's and its pretty accurate. I know, I recommend a lot of VSO products but I find their software to be very good.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/inspector/inspector.php

13. ChoujiJ

ChoujiJ Guest

Something doesn't make sence. I've been read now for a few days about the burning of GC games.

This is a list of high quality DVD makers.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Why is it I read the GC likes high quality DVDs. Then I'm reading how most Princo DVDs work great.
    http://gamecube.nqtnews.com/media.php
    If a DVD maker such as princo makes such terrible DVDs, why is it 4/5 tests shows it works well?

And here's some more things I dont get. I have a BenQ DVD that's media ID says SONY0xD1... What the junk? That's listed in First Class media according to http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

One more thing. Ridata's used to work well for me. I'd burn 8x for my PS2, and 4X for my Xbox. Last time I bought Ridata, I bought a white top version (like you can print on) and the media id says RITEKG05. But these don't work in my PS2 (coaster almost everytime), and are 50% in my Xbox. What gives? Are these the "slightly lower quality" ones listed in Second Class Media???

I also read that buddy at http://modthatcube.pxn-os.org/main.htm believes that any burner can successfully burn any game. I'm now using an I/O Magic 16X DL DVD-+ burner. When all is well, I'm burning at a 80% success rate. Which to me sucks, considering I had a 4x +R burner that came with my HP Media Center which I don't think gave me even 2 bad burns. Then all of a sudden I get this new burner (Which doesn't even let me burn below 4x) and I'm getting DRE's with my PS2 and Xbox.

As far as GC goes...I modded my GC for the first time last night. I just installed my Viper GC Extreme, and am trying all my media before I go and adjust it's pot. Lately I've been using these Sony Accucore discs (Media ID TYG02 -1st class) from Wal-Mart, and so far they work really well with Xbox and PS2. They seem a lot better than any Ritek I've ever used before. Now I've burned Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 a few times with different speeds using Nero and CopyToDVD. The farthest I get it working is just after the makers logo appears and it's going to the pressstart or movie scene screen. So this leads me to believe my GC's pot is prolly off big time? Who know's. I'm kinda ticked off with this Viper Extreme because 40% of the time when I turn on my GC it doesn't do ANYTHING. I just get a quick flicker from my tv as soon as I press the power button and the GC light and fan comes on, but no bios screen. So I turn it off and back on again very quickly and then my Viper's cobra 1.2 bios comes up. What gives? Anyone else have this problem?

Anyways sorry for venting so much but all these problems have gotten on my nerves and I'm searching google left and right trying to fix a hundred problems at once. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on how to correct some problems I'm having. If this is in a wrong thread, please point me to where I should post this.

Thanks a lot guys,
    ~Jason

14. coolbgdog

coolbgdog Member

Try IMGBURN. Dont have the link but search google for "imgburn". Burned 4 games today with it. Just load iso and put your burn speed on lowest and burn. Only took me 8 minutes to burn a gc game at 2.4x. If it takes more than 20 minute to burn a game then check to see if you dvd drive is in pio mode in winxp device manager.

15. ChoujiJ

ChoujiJ Guest

How do I set it to PIO mode? I checked in the device mananger and looked into it's properties, but I didn't find that option anywhere.

I just tweaked my pot. It was factory set at 189omhs, but it's now set to about 173ohms. I went as low as 99ohms and it still didn't correct the DREs. This GC works 100% with normal games, so I don't think there is a lens problem. If I swap a normal game disc and then put in a backup I get a little bit further into the game screens before the disc stops spinning and i get an error. While in the bios screen I can access the .trk (music) files from a game disc and pley them just fine. As soon as I launch the game via the "boot disc direct" option in the menu, then the games give me DREs. I got Mario Party 6 to work by swapping a game disc, and then launching MP6, but after 5-10 mins the disc stoppped and I got a DRE. >_> In the meantime I'll first try IMGBURN, then I'm going to downgrade my bios to a Cobra 1.0 and see if it changes anything for me.

~Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  16. ChoujiJ

ChoujiJ Guest

Update:
    I haven't changed the bios yet, but I used IMGBURN to burn a copy of DDR With Mario (Jap) and it worked. I didn't think this one would work since it was only approx. 260mbs in size but it seemed to work in my GC flawlessly. So that said I went and burned Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 again this time with IMGBURN and resulted in yet another coaster. This copy didn't even make it to the TOMY logo like my others had. Seems like the only games working so far are the ones that aren't 1.4gigs in size =b I'll Downgrade my bios tomorrow to the 1.0 Cobra since now I'm tired and going to bed. Thanks for your time,
    ~Jason

Side note: Both games I burned (DDR with mario and the naruto one) were set to 2.4x Speed, but I saw them both being burned at 4x. My I/O Magic Burder wont burn any slower than 4x =\

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  17. LarrxX

LarrxX Member

I finally solved all my issues, yay! It turns out my problem was threefold:
    - Bad Media
    - Bad Burner
    - Bad POT value

I got myself some Ritek media, burned it with my Samsung burner, didn't work on either my or my friend's GC. Burned with the NEC burner, worked only on my friend's GC. So I did the only thing I could do, turned down my POT value and everything works fine! I use Nero 6.6.13 for burning; didn't like CopyToDVD because it doesn't have a verification option.

I am now one happy gamecube modder :)
    Thanks everyone for your help with a special shoutout for shadow.

18. ChoujiJ

ChoujiJ Guest

After work I passed by Wal-Mart. They have this great deal on Maxell DVDs. I bought a 100pk of Maxell DVD-Rs for $27.77 (Canadian =b)
    I did that because I read that the DVDs produced for Maxell are 1st class. So I came home and tossed it into my burner and the Media ID is RITEKG05 =D

I burnt a copy of Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 with one of these Maxells. I used Nero and burned at 4X (Lowest my burner goes). I could tell it was going to work this time based on the little *beep* sound my GC made when it read the disc (The exact same sound it makes when I put in an original disc). Although it did make that sound before with my Sony DVDs, it was unusually long and screechy. Anyways needless to say Naruto played no problem, my GC and I are now happy. Now I hope my PS2 and Xbox like these Maxells, cause if they do I'm going to go stock up on these. So that solves one problem. Anyone else with a Viper Extreme having their GC hang when pressing the power button the first time, having to turn it off/on again to get it to boot? It's annoying and I keep having to tap the power button twice so I get my bios screen.

Below is a pic I took a few minutes ago.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for reading,
    ~Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2006
  19. LarrxX

LarrxX Member

Happy it turned out ok for you ChoujiJ. Just thought I'd point out that the RiDisc Extreme DVDs that ultimately worked out for me also have RITEKG05 Media code.

Cheers.

20. ChoujiJ

ChoujiJ Guest

Thanks.

What still doesn't make sence to me is that according to http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm , two of the First Class media listed I used, and they didn't work.

I tried
    -a BenQ DVD with the media id: SONY0xD1
    -Sony Accucore with media id: TYG02
    I may be wrong but both of these media ID's are listed in the First Class Section.

Now I used
    -Maxell DVD with RITEKG05 and so far have worked 100% (I burned 4 games now)
    And I believe Ritek's are now Second Class. So GC likes cheaper discs, or does it depend on the GC? I might be missing something... Anyone have any thoughts on this? =)

~Jason