1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner Giving me a difficult time!??

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dazila, Feb 17, 2007.

1. dazila

dazila Regular member

Its once again My samsung Ts-H552B its in my Old pentium 3 I use this burner for all PS2 games it gives me the best burn but ive noticed in Img Burn DVD decryptor and Alcohol 120%,Nero that when it reads the disc it does it very slow 3.7x or less but last month it went up to 8.5x and that was normal now its very slow,When I burn it starts well goes to 4x which I want it to as I burn at 4x then Buffer Drops and Device Buffer just keeps flickering one sec its 99% and the next its 5% and the Burn Speed Drops to about 1.7x then climbs then Device buffer drops and it drops and it taes about 17min to do a 4gig burn does anybody know what is wrong I installed the burneer in may 06 and its a very reliable burner till now my computer Specs are
    Intel D815EFV with Ultra DMA 100
    Radeon 9600SE
    20gb HDD
    80GB HDD
    300W
    512mb Pc133
    933mhz Coppermine with high speed L2 (P3)
    I will gurantee that the specs dont have anything to do with it I have done 12x burns with this burner and this PC and it was stable at 12x but now im having a rough time.
    Please help!

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi dazila

Have you checked the current transfer mode for your drives? Make sure they're in DMA and not PIO - here's a guide.

3. frbernard

frbernard Regular member

Ihave a _NEC DVD RW ND1300A that has been freezing at about 24%. I can't remove the disc or do anything but turn off the power, restart the computer and then manually open the drawer to remove the disc, which has a ring that is a different color. I am pretty certain that it is just worn out and think I will try a liteon. I have an EMACHINE. Can I install the new burner myself or should I buy it from a store where they will install? I am not terribly knowledgeable, although I did install a second drive by myself. Would appreciate advice.

4. binkie7

Hi frbernard
    Yeah I think this one may be on it's way out. Older burner w/ limited format support and low max burn speeds.
    Here's a link for firmware for it - if it came w/ a pc like Dell or such you would use that firmware:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1517

If it's not up to date may want to give it a shot.

LiteOn is a good choice - my fav - get the 18x or 16x burners.

The drives (burners) are very easy to install my yourself.
    Open up the case and either replace with an existing drive or add to an extra connection the ide cable if you have one.

You'll need to set the jumper pin to match the connection on the ide cable. They usually come set to slave so if you add it to the master connection set the jumper pin (on the back of the drive) to master.
    If this is a Dell pc they prefer cable select.

Once connected turn the pc back on. Windows should recognize the drive and and install it.

Hope this helps! If you need more help just post back.

5. frbernard

frbernard Regular member

thanks, Binkie, I am going to order it right away, probably frm sms and try to install it myself. If I hit a glitch I will let you know.

6. binkie7

7. dazila

dazila Regular member

I cant select from deivcie manager as this mainboard does it Automatically if the device has DMA/100 or any of the others it uses it but I have tried Manualy in the Bios I selected DMA Mode 5 which is the highest this mainboard does but still the same thing so I select auto I go into nero and it says Ultra DMA is on for the device which means its not it so I ran virus scans and nothing I ran AVG,Spyboot,AD Aware,so i figured let me do a speed test in nero i was suprised i put a dvd movie in it stated readin @ 9.07x and by the end was steady @16.51x the max speed which means DMA is on if it wasnt I would be doing about 3x max but what makes me wonder is it will copy and paste using windows explrer of a disc to the hardrive via copy and paste fast 4.7gb from DVD-R copy and paste all the files took just 7min which is fast but when Im Making an ISO of a disc the buffer just jumps like never before and when I burn buffer stays for 10sec then starts just jumping while CPU usage is just 25% after saying all that It looks like its not the hardware the Drive can read very fast,it can copy of the disc to HDD fast,CPU uasge is 25% which means i have 75% to use and I have about 306mb RAM left while burning so what the hell can it be this is wierd any Ideas?
    Im gonna uninstal the Second Controler Reboot and see if that helps ok
    Thanks!

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@frbernard

They are a cinch to install foloow binkie's instuctions. I've put three different ones in my pc. Unplug pc and press power button afterwards to ground out and Open case, unplug 2 connectores power and IDE cables, unscrew the retaining screws on the 2 rails attached . Put the old rails on the new drive and set the jumper the same as it was on the old drive if installing new one in same sequence and place. Plug her back in and close case power her up and XP will recognize new optical drive.

9. dazila

dazila Regular member

I 14:56:25 Source Device: [1:0:0] TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B TS12 (D:) (SCSI)
    I 14:56:25 Source Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: PRINCO)
    I 14:56:25 Source Media Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
    I 14:56:25 Source Media Copyright Protection System Type: None
    I 14:56:25 Source Media Application Identifier: NERO BURNING ROM
    I 14:56:25 Destination File: C:\TRAIN_SIMULATOR.ISO
    I 14:56:25 File Splitting: None
    I 14:56:25 Detect Mastering Errors: No
    I 14:56:25 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
    I 14:56:25 Extracting Sectors... (LBA: 0 - 912671)
    I 15:04:33 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:08:07
    I 15:04:33 Average Read Rate: 3,748 KB/s (2.7x) - Maximum Read Rate: 7,286 KB/s (5.3x)

That is my DVD decryptor Log from creating an ISO as you can see uts slow id say a month ago the max was 9x and average used to be aroun d 7.8x

And here is Nero

Nero CD Speed Test results

General Information

Operating System Windows XP
    Drive TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552B
    Firmware Version TS12
    Serial Number TS-H552BFirmware
    Disc DVD-ROM
    MID
    Capacity 4.15 GB

Transfer Rate

Start 6.79x
    End 16.05x
    Average 12.07x
    Type CAV

Seek Times

Random 91 ms
    1/3 103 ms
    Full 175 ms

CPU Usage

1X 15 %
    2X 14 %
    4X 26 %
    8X 49 %

Interface

Burst Rate 24514 KB/sec

Spin Up/Down Times

Spin Up Time 6.20 sec
    Spin Down Time 2.92 sec

Load/Eject Times

Load Time 0.98 sec
    Eject Time 2.00 sec
    Recognition Time 8.91 sec

Log

Time Elapsed Action
    [01:03:57] Starting transfer rate test
    [01:08:38] 4:41 Speed:7-16 X CAV (12.07 X average)
    [01:08:38] Starting seek times test
    [01:08:47] Random Seek: 91 ms
    [01:08:57] 1/3 Seek: 103 ms
    [01:09:15] 0:37 Full Seek: 175 ms
    [01:09:15] Starting CPU usage test
    [01:09:31] CPU usage at 1X: 15 %
    [01:09:47] CPU usage at 2X: 14 %
    [01:10:02] CPU usage at 4X: 26 %
    [01:10:18] 1:03 CPU usage at 8X: 49 %
    [01:10:18] Starting burst rate test
    [01:10:19] 0:02 Interface burst rate: 24 MB/sec (24514 KB/sec)
    [01:10:19] Starting spin-up/down test
    [01:10:29] Spin-up time: 6.20 seconds
    [01:10:41] 0:22 Spin-down time: 2.92 seconds
    [01:10:42] Starting load/eject test
    [01:10:43] Eject time: 2.00 seconds
    [01:10:44] Load time: 0.98 seconds
    [01:10:53] 0:12 Recognition time: 8.91 seconds
    So i dont get whats going on the nero one looks like Im using a different drive whioh im not on note the drive has the latest Firmware TS12 and I did Reinstall the IDE swecondary Controler and nothing happend and my IDE controlers in Device manager when I click properties they dont have the Advanced TAB so how I can I get to it?

10. binkie7

@garmoon
    Txs for picking up my slack for posting about the power connectors - that one just totally slipped my mind!

@dazila
    A speed test is a little different then doing the actually ripping/ copying of the disc. My basic understanding is it's just doing like a surface scan.

How are your drives conencted? That may be why no advanced tab in device manager - like if you have Nvidia.

Disc ID: PRINCO
    Your source disc looks like it's part of the problem. Princo is pretty crappy stuff. I know I used it. Re ripping them to better stuff was like pulling teeth. The speed ripping then was way below my normal. Problem is when you rip/copy it does ever single byte - if the drive has any problem it slows down and may even error out if it's bad enuf.
    So DMA doesn't sound liek the problem here - may just be the source disc themselves.
    Check the back for scratches/smudges/dirt etc - this can slow things down too.

11. dazila

dazila Regular member

Ive tried Ripping Ritek,Actual Movies and Original Ps2 games and all do the same thing yeah the reason I dont have an Advamced tab is becaus ethe Mainboard is intel just like NVidia they have their own Drivers Intel is Called Intel Application Accelerator which imprves bottle neck times and Improves al performance I did Uninstall it just 5min ago I had an advance dtab it seems that they are all on DMA 5 which means the DMA isnt the problem I think its to do with a software issue because its on DMA 5 when im copying and pasting the "Ripping the easy way" it does it fast it just dosent work with Programs like DVD decryptor,IMG burn alcohol 120% speed test seems to work well and ive made isos of about 70 Princo Discs with this drive so it cant be the problem I guess re-formating is the way right now.
    Or is there something that could be intefering like a Software?
    No scratches as ive tried about 100 discs one would be likely not to have scartches
    I also dont get any errors the buffer drops and all it takes ages but the things I burn still work correctly and smooth its the Burning process that makes you want to punch the Drive.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  12. frbernard

frbernard Regular member

Binkie and Garmon: I am going to look at NewEgg tomorrow and then will order. I can't find Lite-On at the sms website, but I did find it at Meritline, also Circuit City (69.00). Will keep you posted.

13. binkie7

Hmmm yeah I don't think DMA is an issue here either. Sounds like you are good there.

If you have done a disc defrag and run a registry cleaner very recently I'd do that too.
    Free up any ram - like close any unneeded programs. Check task mgr while you're copying/burning and see if you see anything abnormal like high processor usage.

Question is what changed pc wise since this starting happening again.
    So you're having slow times ripping and burning?

@frbernard
    newegg.com is pretty fast shipping - usually in a few days you have it. Plus 1/2 the price of Circuit City almost.
    Def. keep us posted!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  14. dazila

dazila Regular member

Currently My PC is clean I did a Defrag,Virus scan,Registry Fix,Spyware scans Within the last week.
    Nothing is really using resources as im writting Free Ram XP is saying I have 312mb Ram left and my cpu usage is on 1% right now so I know that its not with the resources.
    Could it Be the IDE cable I doubt it as I can read smoothly and copy and paste fast?But anyways?
    I havent really installed anything this started Happening I first Noticed Last Week on wedsnesday Night it noticed the buffer going crazy the last time I actually Watched a burn before that (Ussually i start it and leave the room le it finnish) I watched it maybe around the start of December I Burnt Rayman and it was very stable that time both buffer sstayed on 99-98%
    I thought It was Nero 7 but as It looks nero was instaled 1 weeks before the Rayman Burn and that Burn went well which means it cant be that.
    After that I installed a Vista them the good one from Filepedia I uninstalled it about 1 month ago b4 i noticed this,I had windows blinds for 1 day 3 weeks ago before I got rid of it,I had Windows Live one care 2 weeks ago before getting rid of it and putting AVG back on thats about it it dosent look like they ahve caused it.

15. binkie7

You're doing everything right so a reformat may be the answer.

Ide cables might be an issue (doubtful) so to check out that you might want to try installing this drive in another pc and see how that goes.
    That would help pinpoint the problem.
    But looking like may be something on the pc causing this. Problem is narrowing it since you've done all the basic stuff before hand to rule them out.

16. dazila

dazila Regular member

I guess re-format is the answer but im going to check for Stuffed Partions on the hardrive which could slow it down and im Defraging as im writting.
    About the IDE cable this PC used to have a CD burner with DVD player as stock since 01 and I replaced it last year and left the old IDE cable becasue the old one is tied to all the powercables with one of them Plastic bands which must be cut off to reopen whihc would make a total mess practically its every cable in the PC which is one this one but I have about 3 spare IDE's laying around in the draw so I will give it a go.

17. dazila

dazila Regular member

Ok something wierd happend I tried Lego Starwars 2-Ritek and tried making an ISo and the Read Buffer stayed at 1% and it read up to speeds of 7.8x but I tried reading
    -Evolution GT Ps2-Ritek
    -Ace combat 0 ps2-ritek
    -f1 06-ritek
    -scarface-ritek
    But none of them Worked they all screwed up the Read buffer goes to 100% and it slows down and stays around 1.7x so I thought it wss just a fluke shot that Starwars worked so I did it again and worked again but why all these discs were burnt on this burner @ 4x on the same Ritek G-05 DVD-R but only starwars works this is wierd?

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@frbernard

As Binkie says newegg.com is cheap, good and fast(Memphis). I got a benq there, no problems.

19. binkie7

I'm at a loss dazila. The problem is like sporadic so it's harder to pinpoint.

Keep us posted though cause I'm curious on what the deal is on this.
    If I think of something else I'll let you know.

20. dazila

dazila Regular member

Funny thing Power ISO makes ISO's very fast with this DVD drive no problems looks like Ill hvae to chnage my method as Alcohol,Decrpt or and IMG burn dont work.