1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner has stopped reading blank cd-r's

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Nordly, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Nordly

Nordly Member

For 3 years now I've been using Memorex cd-r's with virtually no problems. From the earliest 650 meg ones they made, right up to 700 meg (24, 32, 40, 48 speed) all was fine. Then one day out of a box of ten, four turned out not to complete a full burn cycle. Retailer replaced the four duds with new ones which worked.

Went to buy a box of my usual brand but they were out of stock. Bought some Sonys instead (used them before too) but the burner wouldn't recognize the blank cd-r's. Bought some Maxell ones, same problem. Exchanged those for some Memorex black coated ones cus the techno twinkie kid said Memorex has kept those on the market because blank cd's are becoming more and more of a problem with older burners. Same freakin problem, burner won't recognize the blank cd's.

The kicker in all this is that 3 boxes of Memorex 48 speed cd's burnt fine but now the same blank cd's I just bought this morning won't. The burner works fine on the Maxell cd-rw's I've been using for years and years, and copies & reads data just fine from the all previously burnt cd's in all speed ranges (4 - 48). If the problem had started with the first box of 48 speed cd's then I would have been tipped off that there might be something wacky going on. But 3 boxs of 48 speed ones have been burnt so I have no idea why all of sudden the same cd's (blank ones only) refuse to be recognized by the burner. Surely to god not all cd manufacturers all of a sudden decided to coat their cd's with something new at the same time making my burner obsolete.

Any ideas on whats going on with this?

2. piano632

piano632 Regular member

You can try using one of those lens cleaning discs. If that doesn't work, it could be that the laser is weakening as it gets older and you need to buy a new drive. Memorex doesn't make their own discs, they are made by other companies and Memorex just stamps their name on them. It could be the last box of Memorex discs was made at a different plant then the previous boxes.

3. seandesad

seandesad Guest

Okay, I have a question. I have been told NEVER to use any kind of cleaning device on a burner.
    Was this for the old burners and now its alright or was I told wrong long ago?

4. piano632

piano632 Regular member

All I can say is I've used both wet and dry cleaning discs on my burners and they haven't hurt them. I think some people fear it will knock the lens out of alignment, but I haven't seen any evidence of this. Just don't overdo it. Once or twice a year is enough.