1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner Locking Up During Write Process

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PDexter, May 20, 2004.

1. PDexter

PDexter Member

Please help! I am a total noob to the DVD-R scene, and am experiencing some issues. I am running an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ rig with 512 mb ram. Burner is a Digital Research and the media is Memorex DVD+R 4xRW/DVD+R. I have tried using several different programs such as dvd x copy and Clone DVD, and DVD Shrink. Everything goes well until I try to write the backup movie to the DVD-R. With both clonedvd and DVD shrink, the write process froze at 21-22%. I am running the burner on a secondary IDE on the mobo as a slave to my cdrom which is set to master. (for cd-writing) Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am starting to think the dvd player is the culprit for the 4 coasters so far!

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Do I have this right? You have a cdrw as your master and your burner as you slave on the same cable? If so, remove your cdrw and set your burner as master. If you still want to use your cdrw put it as a slave on your other ide cable. Sometime 2 burners on the same cable don't work. Also have you ever updated your aspi layer?

3. PDexter

PDexter Member

Almost. I replaced my cd burner with my dvd burner. I have a regular cd rom that is the master and the burner is the slave on the secondary ide channel on the mobo. I have never updated the aspi layer, what does that entail?

4. flip218

5. flip218

also, pick up some rw's till you get this worked out. this way no more coasters.

6. PDexter

PDexter Member

flip218,

Thanks! That advice really helped, and I burned my first successful dvd on friday night. I moved my burner to my secondary ide (i had it on one of my raid ide's) and made it the master on the cable. That prev config worked with my cd burner, so i didn't give it a thought when it came to the dvd burner. (classic noob mistake, eh) Just to be sure, I slapped in some new ide calbes and made the changes you suggested. Thanks again!

7. flip218

Great news PDexter! Burn like crazy, make up for lost time :)