1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner Master or Slave?? does it matter??

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by bizzle93, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bizzle93

bizzle93 Member

I have my burner set to Slave and my DVD rom set to Master, they are on the same IDE cable, I'm just wonering if it matters??

I Read a post that said the burner should be set to master, then some one also told me that they should NOT be on the same IDE cable is this true?? does it even matter???

Thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The burner should definitely be set to Master and the ROM to Slave since the burner requires priority. As for them being on the same IDE it doesn't really matter unless you plan to do on the fly copying which isn't recommended anyway.

3. tafkam

tafkam Guest

I agree. I have had them hooked up both ways and researched this a little myself when I first got a cdrw a few years ago. Although opinions vary, it just makes sense to have the actual burner as a master. If you don't have two hard drives you can also just make it a master on the secondary ide slot. I have two hard drives plus the burner so I made the hard drives primary master and secondary slave (second hard drive is just for data but OS is on the master) , and the burner the secondary master. I just got my first DVD burner, a Plextor 16a and everything works fine so far.

4. Troy1x

Troy1x Guest

I can honestly tell you it doesn't matter. I have about 8 burners at work and half are slave and half are master, let me tell you I have never had a problem with either. My home system is setup DVD-ROM Drive master and DVD-RW secondary, there is no problem with it. If you have a older system like a older p2 or P1 or Amd K62 motherboard , considering it older technology I would consider making the burner master. But now a days it shouldn't matter either way is good.

-Troy1x

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ Troy1x

It may work fine for you but keep in mind that it may not work well for everyone. I've seen more than a few folks solve their problems by switching the drive assignments. If the burner can be placed as Master there's no reason not to.