1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a backup

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gdb65, Jan 31, 2005.

1. gdb65

gdb65 Member

Burning a backup on AVP Alien vs Preditor. This is the second disk I've tried to backup and it gives me a error. The other was the forgotton. I see in settings it says TDF file, my check for locals is highlighted but I can't highlight check online. Sony DVD RW-530A 2.0C

Thanks.........

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You need to tell us what software (names and versions) you're using and what steps you took in a little more detail than you've provided.

3. gdb65

gdb65 Member

I'm using DVDX Platinum 3.2.1. As far as steps, I do like I've always done. Just pop it in and hit copy. Sorry to sound so simplistic, but thats always worked.

Thanks

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

There are several new encryption formats out now. The only 2 decrypting programs that can be used on the new ones are the newest DVD Decrypter and the newest AnyDVD. All other programs will probably fail to decrypt the new encryption.

Jerry

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

OK your problem is that I think AVP used the newer structural copy protection. Here's a couple of solutions.

Download the free 21-day trial of anydvd at www.slysoft.com and install it. Restart and then run dvdx Plat.

or

Download the newest version DVD Decrypter (free dl) and Daemon Tools (free dl) and install with restarts. Use DVD Decrypter to rip the movie as an iso image file to your hard drive. Use Daemon tools to mount the ripped iso image as a virtual dvd and then use dvdx plat.

or

Use a combination of DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Guides are available under the Guide tab above and at many other sites across the 'net.

There are other software and means as well. The first one I mentioned is probably the easiest for you. The second and third are free.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  6. gdb65

gdb65 Member

I d-loaded ANYDVD I'll try that. But free is better, i just not sure of your instructions. <------dummy

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

When installing anydvd and restarting your system, anydvd will automatically load at startup. It handles all the decrypting in the background. To your software, your disk will appear to be unencrypted. Thus Dvdx Platinum should work without problems.

To learn about DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter click on the "Guide" tab at the top of the page. Under the subheading DVD-R you'll find links to copying DVDs with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

8. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

gdb65: I'm using dvd x copy platinum and dvd x rescue same as you without any problems. let us know more in detail the errors and problems that you are having.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2005
  9. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

[bold] I haven't tried Decrypter or Shrink yet, but am going to attempt it this week. You just cannot beat freeware!! [/bold]
    [​IMG]

10. gdb65

gdb65 Member

Starbuck,
    It gets to the insert blank disk. You do that and it just sits there.

11. gdb65

gdb65 Member

Maybe I'll re-install program.

12. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Ok, it may not recognize the media. What burner are you using?? ie: Make/model of your dvd-rw, E drive?? The burner may only burn dvd-r or dvd+r. Have you tried dvd-rw discs? Have you tried all 3 types? Let us know. ... just curious. .. sounds like it doesn't recognize the type of media you inserted as a blank disc.

13. gdb65

gdb65 Member

Sony DVD RW-530A 2.0C mmmmm, yr old and using Memorex DVD+R. Thats the only kind I have used DVD+R, I've used other brands. What I did just do is do it in advanced mode, something popped up in there TDK or something like that........
    thank you......

14. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

gd: that make and model burns dvd-r, +r and +rw. So, you don't fry any more +r, try a dvd+rw. Do you have any handy? Before doing it, close your applications. reboot, bring up windows, launch dvd x copy. and, try the simple method first. it should tell you to insert a dvd and ask you if its a rental copy and whatnot. then, it will ask you to insert a blank disc. If you have a dvd-rw try it. or try your dvd+r again. Let us know. Good luck.

15. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

gdb65: Here are your write speeds for your make and model: try a slower speed x4 with a +rw or -rw:

DRU-530A

Full specs
    Storage CD / DVD

Type 1 DVD±RW 5.25" x 1/2H

CD / DVD read speed 40x (CD) / 12x (DVD)

CD / DVD write speed 40x (CD) / 4x (DVD-R) / 8x (DVD+R)

CD / DVD rewrite speed 24x (CD) / 2x (DVD- RW) / 4x (DVD+RW)

Access Time 160 ms (CD),200 ms (DVD)

Cache / Buffer Size 2 MB

Buffer Underrun Protection Technology Yes

Type:Installed Qty 1

CD / DVD type DVD±RW

Storage CD / DVD:Form Factor 5.25" x 1/2H

General

Compatibility PC

Expansion / Connectivity

Bay(s) Required 1 Front accessible 5. 25" x 1/2H

Media

Storage:Media Load Type Tray

System Requirements

OS required Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP

Min processor type 400 MHz

Physical Characteristics

Width 5.7 in

Depth 7.2 in

Height 1.7 in

Warranty

Service & support type 1 year warranty

16. sepollard

sepollard Member

After making too many coasters to count using memorex discs and DVD X Copy Express (total sleeve minus one that worked), I came to this forum and started to read multiple posts about shrink and decryptor. I also read how some users like DVD One Copy better. Why is this? Is the compression better and therefore produces better quality with same file size? I would also like to know of any new programs that have come out b/c the posts i have been reading are 6 mos. old. it is my understanding that decryptor is the burning tool, and it would seem logical to me that this is irrelevant to quality (ie, decryptor v. nero) and that the "quality" is dependent more on the compression agent. True?

As i got to the end of a really long post, it looked as if Nero released a compression software. Is this the case and how does it compare to the shrink/decryptor combo.?

Also, I had roxio when I started. I removed it using add/remove programs w/o using any tools. Then I looked to see what drivers my burner was using, and I saw two drivers out of 7 were made by Roxio. I deleted these and now my computer no longer recognizes the drive. oops. Any advice on how to remedy this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

my computer is a dell something w 1.7GHz proc/512MB RAM w/ acer DW1620 16X max write (+/-R) i think.

17. sepollard

sepollard Member

Forgot to ask the difference in ISO and TS files? I saw that the guides say to choose ISO, but I would like to know why.

I have purchased better media for anyone who was going to recommend that first.

Thanks Again,

Scott

18. gdb65

gdb65 Member

Thanks allot Starbuck1, she's working now with the DVD+R
    (Shrug) but I will pick some of the others up.

Thanks again

19. sepollard

sepollard Member

Since I have the opportunity to sneak in 2 more questions b4 anyone else posts, I am going to do so with hopes of not pissing anyone off. Firstly, i have seen scubapete's guide posted multiple times and I have printed it off multiple times. Does anyone have a link to the most recent one with most recent links to versions of decryptor and shrink?

Also, i have downloaded firmware for my burner(acer dw1620), but there are multiple versions (ie, b7m9, b7p9, b7s9, etc.). does the latest version, i assume b7s9, include all of the things that the previous versions have? i have seen warnings that you can screw up your drive permanently by installing firmware. Any advice on how NOT to do this? that would suck.

20. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Yes newer firmwares are cumulative updates for the most part.