1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning a dvd file from vcr source

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by cwatters, Jan 7, 2005.

1. cwatters

cwatters Member

I downloaded a vcr movie using ADS Instant DVD. The file size is too large to burn on one disc. Is there software, to burn it to two dvd's or should I just capture half a movie at a time.. any help would be appreciated.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What you Should be doing is Captureing your Movies useing the Correct Bitrate so that the Whole movie fits on a Single DVD...You should be able to easilly fit 2+ hours of Video on a single DVD...

What Determines the Size of the Captured Video File is the Length of the Movie and the Bitrate you use to Capture the Movie so if you set the Bitrate to a Low enought setting Based on the Length of the Movie then your Video file should come out at the Correct size for it to Fit on a DVD....

You should Get a Bitrate Calculator which will tell you what Capture bitrate you should use Based on the Length of the Movie....

Cheers

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

TMPGEnc DVD to convert your movie to DVD format,then DVD Shrink to make it fit on one Disc.No quality loss if u captured it right

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

No Don"t use "DVD_Shrink" to do the Compression because as an encoder it sucks as it uses a fast transcodeing method that drops the Quantize matrix and Motion vectors and other Algorythyms that are needed for Quality compression...

If you are going to do any further Compression then use a High Quality Mpeg encoder as you will achieve much better quality, But it is Just better to Capture useing the Correct Bitrate in the First Place so you don"t have to Lower the Quality with further Compression.....

Cheers

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well Minion!! What do you suggest we should use to compress Video,so as to fit on one DVD? I'm always looking for faster & better ways!
    Of the 500,000 PLUS members of Afterdawn,it seems we mention DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter as the TOP contenders in software.When it comes to transfering & compression of DVD's

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

You will achieve Much Higher quality with a smaller File size if you Used a High Quality Mpeg encoder to do the Compression as Opposed to a Fast transcoder Like DVD Shrink...

Sure DVD shrink is fast but as an encoder it Isn"t very good...It is great when you have Pristene quality DVD Files that need a little Compression but That isn"t what this person is Doing ,This Person is working with captured files were the Quality is allready Low so DVD shrink will leave Noticable Compression artifacts....

I"m not saying Not to use DVD shrink when Backing up DVD"s I"m saying that if you are working with captured files that it is better to Just capture to the correct Bitrate in the First Place than to re-compress the files Later....
    And even if you had to Recompress the Video files you would achieve Better quality with smaller File sizes useing a High Quality mpeg encoder Like Tmpgenc or Canopus Procoder or CinemaCraft encoder.....

Cheers

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks Minion! I just started recording T V to Computer (TIVO kinda),I'm useing Raiden All in Wonder 9000PRO.My first recording came out good.The mpeg file size was 4.78 gig,after editing a 2hr movie was only 3.24 gig.So I did'nt have to do any compression.Just had to spend an extra 20 mins to cut out the commercials & add chapters,then let the computer do the rest.I do use TMPGEncDVD 1.6.26.73 which is very nice software W/nice burning engine.Good Quality!!
    However I did do a couple of VHS to DVD transfers(takes a long time).I used DVDShrink to compress,it turned out really well.It was'nt DVD to DVD quality,but it was as good as the VHS tapes that u buy.But it takes time!!!LOTS & LOTS of time,But thank you though.I have been quite fortunate & learned a lot from People at Afterdawn.This site is just ACES

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  8. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

I have done VHS to DVD movies where the file size was a bit longer than would fit on the DVD and used DVD Shrink and never noticed the difference between the original VHS movie at all and the DVD. However, I don't know if using deep analysis is doing anything. I made quite a few VHS to DVD copies and I know that deep analysis analyzes 100% of frames so I always use it. I may be using it incorrectly, but I first just copied the VHS movie as DVD movie files, then opened them with Shrink, ran deep analysis and burned. It always was faster than backing up a DVD movie. That is just my experience when doing my favorite VHS movies to DVD. I did the original VHS movie files using my ATI capture board and NeoDVD. Then opening with shrink, deep analysis, burn.

9. bigroy

bigroy Guest

Minion, what video capture software are you using?

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It depends on what format I want to capture to....
    For Mpeg-2 capture I like WinDVR 3.0 or Sonic MyDVD Studio 6...For AVI Capture I like useing the MainConcept Encoder or IU_VCR.....

Cheers

11. bigroy

bigroy Guest

Minion, I see that CyberLink Power Director came with your Pixelview capture card. I bought a Turtle Beach Video Advantage capture card, and it was bundled with the same software. I don't like it at all. Have you used it?

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Yes I have used Power Director and I didn"t like it either...
    It uses way too much CPU power to Capture Mpeg-2 and it has a Nasty Habbit of crashing and freezeing....

For the Best quality Captured it is best to capture to a Low Compression AVI format Like with the HuffYUV Lossless Codec and after captureing use some Filters to clean up the Image and encode the File to Mpeg-2 for DVD useing CCE SP 2.70 and then I use DVDLab to add my Menu"s and Chapters and to author the Movie to DVD....

This method takes a Little while but it produces the best quality out of all other VHS or TV to DVD methods....the only real drawback is you need a LOT of Disk Space on a seperate Drive because at full resolution HuffYUV Encoded files can use up to 500mb per minute of Video.....

Another Method i use sometimes that works quite well also is to use WinDVR 3.0 to Capture useing the Highest Possible Bitrate (20,000kbs) with the Highest Quality settings enabled which usually leaves you with a super High Quality Mpeg-2 file that is about 10gb which is way to big for a DVD and would work on DVD anyways because the Bitrate is far too high for DVD, so what I do next is Re-encode the Big Captured Mpeg-2 file useing the correct Bitrate so it Fits on DVD useing CCE SP 2.70 and some AVISynth Filters to clean up the Image and when It has finnished encodeing in CCE I put it on DVD with DVDLab...

The Quality useing this Method is Very good because if the High Capture Bitrate and the High Quality Encodeing and the Video filters work wonders for keeping the Image sharp and Crisp.....
    The only real drawback with this Method is you need a Very fast PC to Capture to High Res Mpeg-2 at 20,000kbs ,Like at least 2.0ghz with 512mb Ram but preferably a 2.5ghz.....

Cheers

13. bigroy

bigroy Guest

I downloaded the trial version of WinDVR 3 and tried to open the program. My computer shut off and rebooted. Everytime I try to open the program it does the same thing. There must be a conflict with another program. It doesn't do that when I open Power Director! I even uninstalled Power Director and it still shuts down. got any clues??

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

Nope...I Don"t have a clue why it is doing that as It don"t do that with me...Sorry I can"t help....

Good Luck

15. enewbold

enewbold Guest

Hey guys, I bought a Dazzle 150 video capture device that comes bundled with Pinnacle Studio 9 softare. It records for about 10 minutes and then crashes bad, freezing up the PC (I have tons of memory and 160gb HD, so that's not the problem).

Is there a better softare package I can use with the Dazzle 150, or am I screwed?

Thanks much,
    Ed Newbold
    Columbus, OH

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

You shouldn"t have Bought any Devices from Dazzle or Pinnacle cuz for the Most Part they suck and the Dazzle DVC150 is a proprietary Capture device which means it only works with the Software that comes with it...If I were you I would Take the Thing Back for a refund and get something else.....

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I've got the Dazzle Creation Station 200 it works very good for movies that are on VHS. You might try & download
    MovieStar 5.See if this will work for you with the 150,they look pretty much the same.But maybe Minion is right.I hope it works for you,but I bought my Dazzle unit before Pinnacle bought out Dazzle,I did how ever download an update from Pinacle (MovieStar 5)
    Try this link:
    www.pinnaclesys.com/docsupport1.asp?division_id=1&langue_id=7&product_id=1470&product_name=&page_id=656

Make sure u download the right one

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2005
  18. enewbold

enewbold Guest

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but I'm very new to this aspect of computing. What is "MovieStar" and where to you get it?

Thanks very much,
    Ed Newbold
    Columbus, OH

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

you see the address right below (Try this link)go to the end of it,hold down your left mouse button,now move your mouse to the begining while still holding down your button.It should be highlighted,now click your left button,& press copy.Now go to your address window at the top & paste.Press go & it should take u right to a Pinnacle page w/updates.Schrol down to the 150 & u will see moviestar.
    MovieStar is a program for captureing Video from your 150.
    Download MovieStar & Drivers for your 150