1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TxDuB, Nov 8, 2004.

1. TxDuB

TxDuB Guest

umm i downloaded the identifier and popped in the disc and clicked identify and this came up...

DVD+R/+RW Medium Detected. Starting Identification...
    [22:21:44] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 1 (Original ADIP)
    [22:21:44] ADIP Read M1 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [22:21:44] ADIP Read Method 1 Not Supported ; A Firmware Upgrade Is Recommended
    [22:21:44] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 2 (Copy Of ADIP)
    [22:21:44] ADIP Read M2 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [22:21:44] ADIP Read Method 2 Requires A Written DVD+R/+RW Disc
    [22:21:44] Disc Identification Did Not Complete Successfully

that last line was in red also

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Sorry about the late reply, I've been under the weather lately since the game, sigh.

Pete, I would tend to agree with ya but after looking at the log a little closer and seeing TxDub's subsequent posts I'm beginning to think the problem is his drive. A Toshiba R6252, I gather from his log. I believe this is for notebooks, right?

TxDub, Your burner only burns +RW, so that's why you can't burn +R's without flashing it. Your other posts lead me to believe your burner may be bad. I found a couple of threads in some other forums that are having the same problems with the exact same burner, and some of them got theirs swapped out (for a Sony I believe).

Anyway, here's a support number I found in one of the threads that may be able to help you at least see if your burner is good or not.

THE NUMBER YOU WANT TO CALL!!! Support: 888-999-4747

Also, here is a couple of firmware updates listed here:

http://search.hp.com/gwuseng/query....shiba+R6252&submitsearch.x=9&submitsearch.y=8

I'm not saying yours is bad or to go out and buy another one, but you need to check it out and make sure it's OK. How long have you had it and where did you get it?

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

TxDuB,

Almost lQQks like a pirate disc -

No way it should have come up reading that BUT it sure woould explain a lot wouldn't it ?

Try another disc - a completely different Mfgr -

Pete

4. TxDuB

TxDuB Guest

its okay bio and likewise sorry for the late reply.. i flew down to houston and have been going out this is my first time alone... and yes it is on my laptop... i bought it from hp at bestbuy.. and it came like that.... so the situation now is that my DVD burner only works on RW's? and how do i flahs my R+'s what ever that means and whats a pirate disc... i never used it i just bought it at circuit city... im not that good with this kind of stuff... i just want to burn a DVD and play it... is that so much to ask from HP... why cant technology be easy... there would be so much glitches and screw ups in life.. lol... and i cant really go out to buy a new drive because i wouldnt know what to do and i cant return my R-'s or R+'s and i only have RW+... but my parents are letting me buy a tower because i broke my other one where would u guys suggest i get one from that will come with a good burner and what not...

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

TxDuB,

A "Flash" upgrade is a method of educating your burner. The only things that can be done to your discs are burning them, formatting them and changing their type of disc i.e. Book type.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to "introduce" all the different kinds of media to your burner and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media is introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new Firmware updates OR "Flash upgrades" come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Firmware, You can't be without it -

A "Pirate" disc is a disc (or really a big batch of discs) which some company buys at wholesale from a Mfgr and then "Prints" a phony name on it and tries to "pass" them off as a higher quality (and more expensive) than it really is - Think of it as the DVD's equivalent of a "Rolex" watch "Knock-off". It may say Verbatim but it's really a no name, poor quality disc.
    The only protection against this is to buy from places that have a return policy and use a DVD Identifier on all discs you purchase to insure you're getting what you ordered.

Cheers,

Pete