1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BURNING A LARGE SVCD to DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PETE-157, Jul 17, 2002.

1. PETE-157

PETE-157 Guest

please help

i ripped a dvd movie with smart ripper then coverted it to SVCD with DVDx 2.0
    output frame rate 23.976
    i encoded it to svcd with a video bitrate of 4230 Kbits/s 480 X 480 resolution
    the resulting SVCD is 4686.0 MB in size
    my question is can i burn this large SVCD file to DVD-R media and play it on my standalone DVD player if yes please tell me how.
    i do have a DVD player that plays SVCD it's a JVC XV-S500BK

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

SVCD's main problem is the fact that DVD-Video standard doesn't recognize 480x480/576 resolution at all (unlike VCD resolution of 352x240/288 which is one of the DVD-Video standards), so it's unlikely that the video would play on your stand-alone even if you manage to transfer it to DVD and make your player think that it is an actual DVD.

Best way is to make CVDs (or XVCDs, which term you prefer), if you have plans to buy DVD-R in future -- 352x480/576 encoded in exact same way as SVCD, burned as an SVCD, normally plays like an SVCD, BUT it is an actual DVD resolution (half-D1), so it goes to DVD-R smoothly and your player _will_ play it correctly.

3. PETE-157

PETE-157 Guest

dRD thanks for the reply

so if i do the same process but change the resolution to 352x480 it will work?
    also can you suggest a good DVD-R recorder that will do the job

thanks.

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Yeah, that should work. And I'm kinda wrong person to answer to your question as I have this weird Pioneer-fetism :) So, my suggestion would be to go with Pioneer x04 (104 or A04, same drive).

5. PETE-157

PETE-157 Guest

GREAT thanks Drd