1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning A Movie To A CD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Manohman, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Manohman

Manohman Member

I cannot back up the file due to the size so I tried burning it with Nero in a SVCD format. All I get is unexpected file format? I know I have to convert it to something with something, any recommendations?

Thank You
    Jeremy

2. crowds

crowds Member

ok jeremy, tell us what files you have got so far?
    To make an SVCD you need to have mpeg 2 files. to make an ordinary VCD you need mpeg 1 files.
    A whole movie will fit onto 2 cd's if its in VCD format more with SVCD.
    Let us know what you have and what you have done so far and we can help.
    Crowds

3. Manohman

Manohman Member

As far as I can tell all my movies are
    MPEG Layer-3. I understand the concept, same idea as a compressed WAV to MP3 but I really don’t know which program to use to uncompress them. I tried uncompressing the file to an AVI file the other day but the file size was insanely big. I am more concerned with quality than quantity so I do intend on burning them into SVCD format.

Thank You
    Jeremy

4. crowds

crowds Member

I dont think you can get mpeg 3 video files (anybody?) its more likely that the audio stream is mpeg 3 (mp3) and the video stream is mpeg 1 or 2, however nero is telling you its an unexpected file format which could mean if your trying to burn a SVCD then its layer 1 instead of 2. You need to be sure what your movies are (look at there property's)TMPG enc can re encode your files to make them compliant with SVCD format get it here http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
    There is an area of this forum dedicated to the making of VCD/SVCD's
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/40
    always worth looking there.
    Try and see for sure what your files are then let us know.
    Crowds

5. Manohman

Manohman Member

Ok I have the software now but am a little confused as to what to convert the file to, like I said before I am more concerned with quality than anything else.

Jeremy

6. Manohman

Manohman Member

Well I tried playing with this program a bit and the results were horrible. It said 36 hours to uncompress, when I played a small part of the file it give me an error with no sound AND the quality is awful. I did look at my files and the only info it gives as far as format is that it is a divx or xvid. It doesn’t say anything about MPEG except the Layer3 thingy. You know I wouldn't care about doing this expect the files are too big to back up and I am out of HDD space. HELP!

Thank You
    (Very Frustrated)
    Jeremy

7. crowds

crowds Member

OK, well divx is an AVI file. It just means its been compressed using a divx codec. Unfortunatly these things do take time. Try doing the following...
    Firstly, get yourself the latest version of the divx codec.
    http://www.divx.com/software/
    there is 2 versions of it and alas i belive the "free" version has adware or something of the like. However you could get a less recent version without any adware. TEMPG enc has lots of differnt setting to get the best result\time.
    You should search afterdawn for guides on using it for best results. But using a divx codec should help.

Alternativley there is a program called DVD2SVCD that apparently can do the job.
    http://www.dvd2svcd.org/
    Your allways gonna get some loss of quality when re'encoding but you can get very watchable results if you experiment.
    Hope this helps Manohman
    Remember to use your search button ;-)
    Crowds

8. Manohman

Manohman Member

Woohoo! ok wait a sec hang on, now I’m really confused BUT! I think I’m getting closer lol. This dvd2svcd program has more buttons than a 747!!! I tried searching for info on how to use it but all I found was hundreds of other tutorials on how to convert a file using other programs??? I don’t expect you to give me a walkthrough, god known you have done enough already, but can you send some clues my way. You know I think the quickest way to do this is to hit DELETE DELETE DELETE and forget I ever heard of online movies. Did I mention I really enjoy not going down to Blockbuster video anymore? Do I sound frustrated?

Thank You
    Jeremy

9. crowds

crowds Member

Jeremy ive never used dvd2vcd but ill have a look at it. How big are these files? I presume they are all full length movies.
    Im gonna have a look at DVD2VCD now and ill post back if i can help in the meantime post some details of your computer spec
    Crowds

10. crowds

crowds Member

Ok here is a good guide for you thanks to doom9
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvd2svcd-avi.htm
    It says you need certain software for the guide (cce and procoder) but as you have tmpg enc you wont need cce or procoder tho they are far better encoders and if you could get them (there are demos available) that would be cool.
    You will need some kind of burning software that can write image files (Nero)
    Let me know if this helps
    Crowds

11. Manohman

Manohman Member

Wow! great guide, thanks. I'm going to read up a bit before I drive you nuts. I'll get back to you and let you know if I have any success.

Thanks
    Jeremy

12. Manohman

Manohman Member

I'm so sorry to keep doing this to you. I downloaded the demo of Procoder, it seems load the file ok and it's really user friendly, BUT! when I use the wizard it decodes at 3 frames per second, I think that works out to 294675 hours!! when I use the regular decoder and not the wizard, it loads the file ok but when I click target the entire screen goes blank and it wont left me do anything. I have to exit the program and restart it and then the same thing happened over and over again.

I NEED AN ASPRIN!!

Jeremy

13. crowds

crowds Member

Yeah forget the procoder, try the dvd2svcd using Tempg enc (in the encoder part of the menu) Just how big (Mb/Gigs) are these files your trying to convert, and how long do they run for ? are they full lenght movies?. Its been my experience that with a lot of these programs when you first start them encoding they tell you it's gonna take three years to complete. You should leave them encoding for at least 15 min's or more so the program gets a more accurate idea of how long its gonna take (scotty allways lied about how long it was gonna take to fix the warp engines)
    It will take some time tho. maybe 12-14 hours for a whole movie in mpeg 2(needed for SVCD) and around 6-8 for mpeg 1 (vcd) so if the time concerns you you could encode to mpeg 1 and make a VCD (look at the misc page on dvd2svcd and change the output to mpeg 1).
    Let me know yhow big the files are (size and approx running time) and also your comp specs
    Crowds

14. Manohman

Manohman Member

I'm running a Pentium III 750 with 250 megs of ram and a 128 meg video card.

the files are about 700 meds each.

I'll try dvd2svcd and see how that goes.

Thanks
    Jeremy

15. Manohman

Manohman Member

I get this error message when I try to load some of the files. "Could not locate decompressor for format xvid" I think the Divx files load ok. I'm gonna try to convert right now. Hold your breath!!

Jeremy

16. crowds

crowds Member

17. Manohman

Manohman Member

Well miracle can happen, I recoded my first movie over night, it only took 18 hours!!! and it was a small movie, half the size of some of the newer ones. that’s ok, I’m sure that one day soon a better technology will come along that makes this easier. For now I will zip the movies and back them up, at the price of disks I’m not to concerned. Thank you for everything and all the help but I have given this little project all the time I can spare, back to the basics, WinZip I can use. If some easier technology comes along please keep me in mind my email is jeremysilver@shaw.ca I also have considered buying a DVD burner then I could just back them up, 4.7 gigs go a long way.

Thanks Again. and Goodbye for now..
    Jeremy

18. Manohman

Manohman Member

So sorry one last post, I'm trying to back up the movies without zipping them but they don't fit on disks, is there an EASY TO USE program to merge and cut the files? Preferably something that wont take me 26 hours.

Thanks
    Jeremy

19. crowds

crowds Member