1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a Movie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gmoney39, Jan 24, 2005.

1. gmoney39

gmoney39 Guest

I have been burning movies with Nero and I love it to death. My problem is that it when I first started burning movies with Nero it took about maybe 30 minute. Now it is taking about 45 minute, does anyone know how I can get the speed back down?

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

You need to check to see if you are in DMA mode. Its sounds like your computer has reverted back to PIO mode.

3. gmoney39

gmoney39 Guest

thanks I looked where do u fine out if ur in DMA or PIO mode?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey gmoney39, a fragmented hard drive can also slow you down. Have you defragged lately?

Dvd burning can put a heavy toll on that hard drive.Some members defrag every day,I defrag 2 or 3 times a week.

On finding your dma enabled settings:I use xp home:
    Go into control panel/system check/hardware/device manager/ide-ata-ataou controllers. Right click primary ide/properties/adv.setting- should be dma if available. Do the same for secondary. If set in pio,go through each ide channel and uninstall and reboot.Uninstall primary first,reboot, then do the same for secondary.

Sometimes your ide may say "dma if available" but it may not be. This happens when it takes like 18 hrs to do a movie,so you are probably ok.

Size of the movie and media you are using can also slow you down.Always recheck the burn speed in the backup options tab on shrink.Media specifying 4x or 8x may not be able to burn at that speed.Your firmware decides that.

Hope this help, nero and dvd shrink work great for me.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member