1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning and Surfing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by djlen, Mar 10, 2005.

1. djlen

djlen Regular member

I'm wondering how compatible they are? I have always been told that when burning anything, not to use resources on other stuff.
    I would like to browse sites (especially this one) while burning. How much can on do without taxing the resouces to the point of screwing up a back-up?
    I use an AMD Anthlon 2500+; 1.83GHz, 520 MB of RAM, if that helps any.

Len

2. hursty

hursty Active member

you are best to turn everything off

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

All I can say is try it and see what happens.. I would never reccomend or condone doing anything else on your PC while backing up a DVD. Now that being said I do it all the time and have no issues (knock on wood) If you start to have problems then it would be time to quit :) I don't do anything else major though while backing up a DVD (play solitaire or surf web).

4. hursty

hursty Active member

i once was burning a dvd,when norton decided to download loads of updates.pisser
    ever since then,i turn of the net

5. djlen

djlen Regular member

I've been burning Cd's for years and never did anything extra-curricular during burning, but I also didn't have the RAM that I have now.
    I have opted for zero 'automatic updates' period. I want to know what they're putting on the computer before allowing it.:)
    I guess I'll give it a try and see how it works out. I definitely won't be doing anything major during back-ups. Just a bit of surfing.

Len

6. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Have you ever watched a video on Win Media Player while surfing the net? Ever notice any stuttering especially when you go to a graphic-filled webpage or one with lots of scripts running? Imagine what it does to your DVDs when you're burning. MULTI-TASKING IS A MYTH IN WINDOWS. I'm reminded of it every time my McAfee Suite of Destruction (ActiveShield, AntiSpyware, QuickClean, and Firewall) kicks in and runs in high priority at the expense of whatever else I'm doing on my PC.

7. vike

vike Member

Suite of Destruction is the right term. I do absolutely nothing when burning, and I have a P4 2.8 w/1 GB of RAM. Tried playing Wolfenstein ET while burning, never again will I do that.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i had a burn bomb last night by simply being sent a 'wink' in msn messenger beta. it caused the buffer thingy in Nero to drop to virtually zero.

Normally i surf a little while burning, but only using browsers that are not hopefully gonna overload the pc. but not gonna even do that any more

Rich

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

djlen

If you look under Performance Tab on Task Manager you will see how much CPU you are using. But you will also see spikes when you attempt doing other things besides burning. Those spikes may cause a glitch in your burn depending on memory and processor speed. I sometimes play around during encoding, “sometimes,” but not usually and never during the burn. It's just the old way or creature of habit like back in the days when even burning a CD without a true buffer caused mayhem on the CD's.