1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning at 8x bad??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by slnixon, Feb 16, 2005.

1. slnixon

slnixon Member

Hello everybody, I have an NEC ND-2500A burner. This is supposed to (according to specs)burn at 4x max, but I'm using Ritek Generation 5 discs and burning at 8x! Now, I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, but is it bad for my burner to burn at 8x? I've watched my backups, and they play great. Thanks in advance,

Steve

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Its not bad for your burner. Most quality burners will have a particular brand of disk or two that they are able to burn at a faster speed then is advertised.

The only possible side effect is creating some coasters, but since you haven't had that problem, keep doing what you're doing.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

As long as you're useing good media and getting good results, carry on. Most don't recommend burnind vidio files over 4x but there are exceptions.

As long as burners and media continue to improve I think you will see more successful burns at 8x but I don't think there will be many good burns over that speed, right now at least.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

There is no differrence in quality burning at x8, x4, or x2. The only reason we recommend people on here back up at slower speeds is when they are actually having a problem burning a movie. Some computers just aren't equiped to handel those speeds even if the drive is. So a lot of people have problems when they start burning faster. Like stated earlier if your burning at x50 speed and getting no coaster's or error's might as well get them done quicker. :)

5. slnixon

slnixon Member

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! Yeah, I was just wondering if it would damage the burner burning at speeds faster than what it was rated for. Much appreciation,

Steve