1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning .avi/xvids with Nero Vision 4 freezes while transcoding

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by AdamKrebs, Jan 17, 2007.

1. AdamKrebs

AdamKrebs Member

Im trying to burn 2 .avi files onto a dvd+r with Nero Vision 4/Nero 7. It seems to freeze every time i try when its performing the action "Transocoding Menu 1". It never makes it to the actually burning process. Ive read several posts with people who have similar problems, but everyone elses solution is to use different programs. Ive used ConvertXtoDVD and it works fine, but I would love to be able to use the menu features of Nero, thats why I have the program. Anyone figure out any solutions??

2. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

Pretty sure the program takes a lot of juice. Do you have enough RAM, also are you doing multiple things while trying to use Nero?

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

The folks here will recommended what version to use and also suggest that you post a Nero log.

As a work around you can also import/add the resultant ConvertX VOBs into NeroVision Express (I still use version 6) and make menus, add chapters etc. I do this often. Best to set ConvertX to a custom size (4350) so there is room for the Nero Menu and with Version 6, at least, have 'Smart Encoding' ticked so it doesn't re-encode the VOBs.

4. AdamKrebs

AdamKrebs Member

no i don't have a lot of programs open, but next time I'll make sure nothing else is running. I use Nero 7 Premium. Your gonna need to explain a bit better on how to use the files that ConvertXtoDVD creates in NERO because it creates about 6 different files. Sorry I'm new to this, but thank you so far, i appreciate it.

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Some versions of Nero 7 are known for that problem, it's one I have experienced on a few occasions, which version of Nero 7 are you using...example 7.0.0.0

6. AdamKrebs

AdamKrebs Member

Having trouble finding the version...does 7.5.9.0 sound right?

7. AdamKrebs

AdamKrebs Member

so after converting with ConvertXtoDVD, than what?

8. yvdfx

yvdfx Member

Adam.............
    My current Nero 7 couldnt be running any better right now after a couple adjustments, meaning 1 "glitch" (coaster...lol) out of 100 burns !!!!.................. If you havent done this already, at least give the following 2 items a shot......

1:DISABLE SMART ENCODING- Open up Nero Vision 4.At the bottom, click "More". Go to Video options.Under the "General" tab, youll find "Smart Encoding" options. Click "Disable" to permanantly disable it. Click "OK"......close boxes

2:BURN AT A PRIORITY BELOW NORMAL- At the final (do or die....lol) "Burn" page, click "burn" and immediately LOWER the priority to at least *Below Normal* before you minimize to tray !!!!!!........ I actually use the lowest priority (but thats just me).....

Im not saying that Nero dosnt still have a couple bugs, but jeeez bro, just those 2 items (from a previous suggestion to me) have ended nearly 98% !!!! of all the problems I was having........
    Give it a go, HOPEFULLY it might do the trick :)

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Smart Encoding is one of Nero's best features. I often use DVD compliant files in my various projects. Why would I want Nero to re-encode them again? Why take all that extra time and also end up with decreased quality to boot?

10. AdamKrebs

AdamKrebs Member

yvdfx, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I did get everything to work fine though after using ConvetXtoDVD. I than went to Nero Vision and shift clicked all the files that were readable by nero in the newly converted folder, and it combined them automatically. I made my menu template and everything worked fine. I did shutdown any programs i didnt need at the time, including my anti-virus scanner.

11. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Obviously those VOBs were ready to go and with Smart Encoding enabled the whole process should have went quickly as NVE only had to encode your menus.

12. AdamKrebs

AdamKrebs Member

yes i did have smart encoding enabled too, and the process didnt take too long, id say 30mins all together