1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Blanks

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lpmrhahn, Dec 27, 2004.

1. iepurakis

iepurakis Member

I can confirm that Philips DVD+R DOES NOT WORK on this burner. I wrote without any problem in Traxdata DVD+R 4x but in Philips DVD+R 1-8X media it failed. To be accurate, it writes, but it is no readable in any DVD-ROM.

And it is not about software, as I tried about 4-5 programs with them... it is just incompatible.

2. vanila

vanila Member

thanks lpmrhahn,
    I've also tried hp DVD+RW and hp CD-RW with no problems at all.
    in fact i've become a BIG fan of Read-Writables!

of course, alot of what i need to do is transport files from one machine to others, so it works for me.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ok, OK, I'm convinced - we have 3 posts attesting to the fact that there are no Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R5272 burners in existence that will burn Phillips media. That includes the Phillips discs made by Ricoh AND Mitsubishi.

(Funny that 2 of the posts have pple of a similar nic BUT if there are 3 then that cover every burner on the planet.)

Carry on Ooohhh all knowing Newbies -

4. tech007

tech007 Member

TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-R5272 what a drive, lol .. now check this out, I made some data DVDs with this DVD burner and it doesn't read the DVDs I burnt on it. I took it to my laptop and it reads fine. I am using cicero cheap DVD-Rs but still this burner burn them but doeasn't read. Anyone knows few DVD-R and +Rs this burn write and read?

5. dare2be

dare2be Member

Sorry for joining this thread late, but I just signed up after I found this thread from a Google search on the SD-R5272...

I have no problems writing DVD+Rs with this drive, but when I first used a +RW I noticed a very high-pitched dog-ear piercing sound emanating from the drive just before it reported write errors. I got the drive to write the the +RW disc JUST ONCE, and then never again.

Lo and behold, my +Rs are Verbatim and my +RW is a Philips.

Just more fuel to add to the fire. Take it for what it's worth. I'll be going out and buying a different brand of +RW discs to verify it isn't the drive.

Curt...
    All-knowing Newbie #4

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I doubt that a noise was caused by a disc BUT carry on . . .

Pete

yep, tis a bit long in the tooth :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  7. vanila

vanila Member

a friend gave me a package of FujiFilm DVD+R disks.
    the label says:
    "DVD+R 8x 4.7GB 15+5 pk"
    the important part seems to be the 8x speed which elsewhere on the label says these disks are "compliant with the new standards for 8x speed"

anyway, I tried it out. I've still got the same setup - USBi.1 and Roxio software.

I burned some data - filling up about 2/3rds of the DVD. And, lo and behold, all went well. I'll take some time to check the files and make sure they burned well, but no errors occured during burning.

and I burnt at 8x speed.

and I've never had any noise.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Vanila,

We usually don't go by anything on the box as the manufacturer isn't ever going to say, "We made these and they are crap."

As it were, I checked out the fuji +R in the 5 paxck and they are made by Ricoh company Limited, a very good company. The -R media Fuji discs are, on the other hand, made by Pioneer, a poor grade of disc. One to stay away from.

We check the quality of media through DVDIdentifier which uses MediaMatch ~

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
    Run your discs through that . . .

Cheers,

Pete