1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning blu rays to regular DVD's?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Hobbes17, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Hobbes17

Hobbes17 Member

Hey,

Does anyone know of any software that I can burn my blu rays to regular DVD'S? I concerned of damage so I want extra copies. Any information? I am currently researching and will let you know if I find one. Otherwise keep me updated :)

Thanks,
    T

2. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

I know software that claims to do this...rip or back up blu-ray to dvd....the time spent converting and compressing ain't worth it 4 to 7 hours to go from sugar to sh*t? (HD to SD). I mean I enjoy SD dvd 8.5gb and even compressed 4.7gb, but not enough to convert higher quality to lower quality. For the time spent, Back up your blu-ray titles to BD-RE DL 50gb rewritable blu-ray media.

3. jiggygeek

jiggygeek Member

On this same topic. I'm seeing more and more avi uploads of bluray movies. I just dl'd one that is 1gig. Usually I would use ConvertX to take it over to dvd format and then use Nero to burn it to disc. With this new bluray, I don't know what to do with it. ConvertX didn't work with it. It won't play as an avi on my PS3. I don't have a BD burner. Is my only option to play it on my computer?

4. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Yeah...I'd just convert it as you mentioned with ConvertXtoDVD. I used the same method with 20/60 aspect ratio to increase picture quality and NERO 8 RECODE 3 to back up the file to disc. BLU-RAY is another more expensive world. If your ready, get some BLU-RAY BD-RE 50GB DL and have some fun. You'll need the most advanced mostly hassle free software. So far that is AnyDVD/HD to decrypt and back up BLU-RAY to file. Then DVDFAB's BLU-RAY to BLU-RAY to back your likely previously +BD encrypted then AnyDVD decrypted file to BLU-RAY disc.

Now everyone seems to be attracted to coverting BLU-RAY and compressing BLU-RAY. I too thought these options were worth it. After some trial and error. I found out 1st hand a 50GB BD-RE DL rewritable disc is a jewel. You can do it all without coversion or compression. You can tweak your back up or in other words get it right. When your done with your finished product you pop it in your BLU-RAY player and your done (REAL HD). You want to back up another BLU-RAY title? Use your 50GB BD-RE back up diSc to burn a copy to a 50GB BD-R DL (non-rewritable) and your choice of inkjet printable or standard brand printed on disc or shiny top disc disc currently on the market. Add that baby to your private personal archive.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

N2DVD

I'm useing 2 Programs to convert MKVs and other Bpu-Ray formats, to a compatable Blu-Ray Disc on a standard dvd5 Disc. That plays in mt Stand Alone Player...The quality is great.
    The 1st Program I use for files 4.36 gig or smaller,is tsMuxeR GUI 1.10.6, Where as if U put a check in the Blu-ray disk it converts it to the proper folder types [BDMV,CERTIFICATE]..I Then burn with Nero DVD-ROM, IN THE UDF Tab change Options to Manual settings, leave UDF partition as Physical partition, change File system version to UDF 2.50

The second program I use for anything over 4.3 gig is BD_Rebuilder.exe.. This is a little time consuming as it takes 4 to 6 hrs..But again good Quality and plays on my standalone

Now I'm new at this, and have only converted 6 movies. But all did play
    I did have a little problem with Pellham 123 with DTS Sound,for some reason it was a different type of DTS over the standard.. When I changed it to be able to be read by BD_Rebuilder.exe, when I tested in VLC it had no sound. But when I checked it in MediaInfo.exe, it shows 5.1 DTS sound, and BD_Rebuilder.exe accepted it and converted it to AC3 Working. In BD_Rebuilder.exe their is a temp folder called WORKING i think, I cut and pasted the AC3 out of this folder to a different folder to check, and it was working. I burned it and it was Excellent.

A friend of mine brought me the Dedacated King Kong BLU-RAY, WE PLAYED IT AGAINST the DVD5 I converted..To be honest we could not tell a difference in the Quality of the Video or Sound , on either Disc

6. jiggygeek

jiggygeek Member

Right, but why are people uploading bluray movies when burner prices have barely started coming down? The lowest I've seen is USD $150. They have to come down to atleast 75 before I'm going to buy one. Its like when the dvd burners first came out. They were high, now you can get them for $30.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Its not so much the price of the burners, as its the Discs.. I just bought 2 BLU-RAY PLAYERS. Samsung BD-P1500 for 100.00bucksaand a Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Player DMP-BD60 for 150.00bucks at Newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882103416
    Both good deals, and good reveues. Even though they R not top line, I can't complain over picture quality, definetly better the DVD

My next step is to buy a BLU-RAY Reader Burner. I don't see the sense in buying just a reader for the Computer. But right now I'm holding out for something that will burn at, at least 6x or more
    I just seen a burner for 100bucks somewhere, but had low burn speeds. 2x is just long takes about an hour if memory serves me 4x is just tolerable. 6 or 8 is good.. I don't burn over 8x anyway

8. jiggygeek

jiggygeek Member

NewEgg.com is a good company. I've been buying from them for many years. Those burners always start out with low speeds, then as time goes on and technology improves, the speeds go up. That Panasonic looks like a nice player. Its got the SD and USB slots.

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Totally agree the Panasonic Blu-ray for 150.00 bucks,which I thought was a good price in today's Blu-Ray market has enough Bells & Whistles to suit me. All the revues seem to show it to be a good all around player. What really impressed me was the ability to play DivX, and home made Blu-Ray on a regular DVD.
    Even the the Samsung BD-P1500 I bought for a 100.00 bucks at Blockbuster was a good deal. It also plays homemade Blu-Rays, but alas no DivX
    But I'm still going to wait on Blu-Ray Discs to come down to at least $0.50 a piece. Just really happy I can burn blu-ray to a regular Disc with such great Quality, some times just a tad lengthy. Like I stated earlier can take 4 to 6 hrs. But Hey I got a blu-ray
    NewEgg is the greatest I've bought parts for 6 Computers. Even if you've got a bad part, they expedite the return and re-delivery
    I've even got a few things for nothing from them THANKS to UPS SCREW UP.
    I ordered a Docking Station, UPS showed that it had been delivered, but I didn't get it. Newegg sent me another one, 10 days later UPS delivered the 1st one, I called Newegg and they told me to just keep it for my inconvenience. You just can't beat a company like that

10. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

@rick5446
    I too sought the end result you mentioned with converting MKV but saw the process as way too meticulous. I'll revisit this option once it is automated by a sound software company. I just figure for all the tinkering around and waiting at this stage go true BLU-RAY. Are these conversions menu only? As I find backing up the entire BLU-RAY disc w/menu is even more time consuming. I'm telling you once you get your hands on some reasonably price 50GB BD-RE disc your world and opinion will change. The playing BLU-RAY on a SD DVD standalone player is of my interest but again way too involved. I have a sound BLU-RAY/HD player & burner from BUFFALO. These in my opinion where one of the 1st BLU-RAY burner distributors to step up the speed early as the need for 6x burning speed for BLU-RAY is just not needed now. BLU-RAY media speed max out @ 4x and the cheaper 50GB BD media is 2x.

Better safe than sorry...2x lessens the likelihood of burn error. I just installed a internal SONY BD player $79.00 in my computer just to have a BD source to burn disc to disc 1 for 1 back ups as opposed to purchasing another more expensive BD-burner. Anybody working with a good software to do BD disc (u know printable inkjet) and case covers besides ADOBE...(too expensive) but nice as hell if your computer graph skills are up to par. A guys got a BLU-RAY cover demo on YOUTUBE. Creating a GI-JOE cover. The sh*t is sick.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  11. jiggygeek

jiggygeek Member

I've got an AVI movie which is in bluray format that will play on my pc using KMPlayer, but it won't play on my bluray player. It comes back with an error saying incompatible format. What program would I use to convert it into something that my bluray will recognize to play?

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

N2DVD : point taken, but the only thing I'm interested in is the Movie with chapters for forward or back. Nt interested in previews commentarys etc..Just get me to the movie.
    Also as I stated I don't have a blu-ray reader or writer and don't see in the near future of getting one, unless Discs come way down
    Most of my movies are MKV , mts between 4 and 8 gig in size, and I think the other one is mp4..The only problem I had was with DTS Sound, but have since resolved that AND CAN CONVERT TO AC3 WITH NO PROBLEM OR Quality loss
    I would never have started getting these movies, if it wasn't for Wd Media Player which plays these TYPE OF MOVIES [MKV with AC3Sound ]Now the new WD TV Live Media Player handle the DTS Sound which is even better, they've also got an SPDIF Plug for external Amp . It really all started as an Experiment for me with the WD Media Player,which I really really like..HJook up a 500gig HDD and watch all the movies U want..Hardly ever burn Discs anymore for my own use. I was amazed at the picture Quality, the 1st movie was the Bucket List, the detail in the Mountain scene in the opening of the Movie is AMAZING. I have a dedicated DVD I Bought, and I Converted it to Divx with 5.1 sound just under 2 gig. But the MKV I D/L-ed is far superior in picture Quality at 5 gigs to any of them..,.A friend of mine has a Blu-Ray Player, has the BD Dedicated Batman Begins. I converted a Batman MKV on a regular DVD disc just to see if it worked,well it did. HE TOLD ME HE COULD NOT SEE A Difference in the Quality
    I just finished The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 MKV Converted to BD on a reg DVD AND ITS beautiful wih 5.1 sound.Now that was a 7Gig download took me 2 days, but well worth the wait
    I probably will end up buying a Blu-Ray reader writer, if I find one for a hundred bucks or less just to rip with. Definetly curious as to how long it will take BD_Rebuilder on a dedicated movie. Gotta get the lead outta my ASS and get my Quad core back together, this Dual Core is to slow for me. I've got a friend that works at Block Buster so I get all my DVDs free. So now that I've got the Player, theirs no sense in missing out on the Quality
    So I bought the 100.00 Blu-Ray Player, and am now converting movies to Blu-Ray
    Sorry for the long reads but when I get started its hard to quit
    I've found at my age I only make one mistake a day,,,and that's getting up in the morning

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

jiggygeek first try tsMuxerGUI as it only takes a few minutes
    GO HERE TO DOWNLOAD
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
    Use the direct link for download as its faster
    Maka a folder on your HDD called Blu-Ray Movies or what ever U want, just so U don't have to go looking for your movie later.
    Start tsMuxerGUI Drag yor movie into the input
    Look down about 3/4 of the way you'll see output click on browse and put it in Blu-Ray Movies Folder, you'll end up with two Sub folders in that folder called BDMV and CERTIFICATE
    YOU'LL Also notice TSuxing M2TS muxing etc. just put a dot in Blu-ray Disk..Then just hit the start muxing tab.
    Once the movie is finished in your folder you should have two folders BDMV and CERTIFICATE..You can check your Movie by opening the BDMC go down to STREAM open it double click on it. Then you'll have two files one should be 00000.m2ts or the biggest in MBs just right click on it go to properties and browse for the player U use to play your movies (I use VLC as its the simplest and uses less resources) and change to that executable file (EXAMPLE..VLC.EXE), now all U have to do is double click the movie and it will start playing

Once U know you've got a playable movie, open Nero Burning Rom, select DVD-ROM(UDF) IN THE TABS ACROSS THE TOP Select UDF THEN Options-Change this to Manual settings, leave UDF PARTITION TYPE AS IS Should say (Physical partition
    Next change File system version to UDF 2.50
    After that just burn it all of mine play in my BD Player
    Now I've been told some Blu-Ray Player won't play Blu-Ray on a Regular DVD. It just might be that yours is one of those
    But if U understand and follow these instructions properly, I guarantee it will play
    Let me know if this was written simple enough for U
    Your next choice is BD_Rebuilder which on my Dual Core can take anywhere from 4 to 6 hrs never much less.But definetly works.If you end up using to make your movie before you close it go to the File tab at the top put in a blank Discand select Burn Current Disc [with Imgburn...If you don't have ImageBurn I highly recommend you download it. Probably one of the best burners out their
    PM m e if u got problems
    or get Windows Live Messenger, that way we can talk..I'm pretty good a talking people through Programs the 1st few times...Everything looks more difficult then it really is most of the time

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

N2DVD : Back atccha again I go here for all my DVD and case covers ( http://www.cdcovers.cc/ ). I like a nice printed DVD and Case also found Blu-Ray LOGOS and added them to DVDs & Covers. Their is a need to know the difference
    But Alass the only Printer I've found that prints directly to DVD is Epson. Now I buy Bulk ink and fill my own Cartridges which saves a lot I figure it costs me about $0.10 cents to print both DVD & Case Cover..Again I'm lucky as my cases cost me nothing. my friend at BB brings me all that they are throwing out, I'vs got thousands and I'm not exaggerating
    http://www.cdcovers.cc/

15. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

@rick5446 Thanks for the tips, I will try it again as tsMUXER was one of the programs I found confusing. I have the EPSON Artisan 50 which I recently purchased in high demand. I looked into the availabe ink ciss systems for my printer, question hows the aftermarket ink? My printer takes the CIARA ink type which is vibrant color and water resistant I hear as I have not had the chance to use the printer yet. Does the after market ink match up. Where's a good place to find BD or DVD logos you mention.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

N2DVD :Glad I could help, hope it works 4U.Let me know one way or the other if it works Don't forget to PM me
    or get Windows Live Messenger

17. jiggygeek

jiggygeek Member

Your instructions were simple enough. The avi file I have is not one of the supported file types for tsmuxer. It gives me a division by zero error when I try and input it.

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

jiggygeek: If BD Rebuilder won't accept it U might have to convert it to something else
    http://majorgeeks.com/Avidemux__d5930.html
    With this tool U can pretty much select anything U want to convert it to
    I usually select MKV with AC3 Sound, which seems to work well for me & BD

What movie is it and do U have a link to where U got it I'd like to take a look at it

19. jiggygeek

jiggygeek Member

Its "Batman - Gotham Knight (2008) BluRay XviD"
    I got it off the Usenet

That was good information. I'll copy those instructions off and keep them for my next project. I'll try and convert this to something else. When I tried ConvertXtoDVD, it said it was a 4 hour movie, which I know is wrong. Its only a 1 hr 15 minute movie.

20. jiggygeek

jiggygeek Member