1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning captured video to DVD with Nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mike928, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Mike928

Mike928 Member

I captured some video to my computer using Nero Vision Express 2. It saves it as an avi file. I can use that avi file to make a DVD with nero Vision Express 2, which converts the avi file to a Video_TS folder and files, and burns it to the DVD. That DVD then plays fine on my computer with either Nero Showtime, or Windows Media Player. When I try to play that same DVD in my stand alone DVD player, it doesn't work though. The main menu for the DVD is displayed on the TV, but that's all that it does. I can use the original video avi file I captured with Nero Vision Express 2 to make a movie using the Windows Movie Maker program. When I do that, Windows Movie Maker makes it a wmv file. I can then import that wmv file into Nero Vision Express 2 and create a DVD using it. Nero Vision 2 will convert that wma file to a Video_TS folder and files again, and burn it to a DVD. That DVD will then play on my computer using Nero Showtime, Windows Media Player, and will also play on my stand alone DVD player this time. Why won't a DVD made in Nero Vision Express 2 play on my stand alone DVD player if I use the avi video file directly in Vision Express 2?

2. Nullgrad

Nullgrad Guest

This is a subject close to my heart at the moment - I'm not sure if it will solve your problem though.....I record from a TV Card (Nebula Digi TV) and it saves to Broadcast Standard Mpeg 2 which is fine for watching on the Digi TV Player on the PC. If you want to play it on a DVD player you have to go through quite a lengthy process demuxing first with PVAStrumento(freebie) then using TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 (free trial demo available) to produce a standard DVD quality Mpeg2 file which then needs to go through an authoring program such as Vision Express to produce the Vob files ready for burning onto DVD.
    I suppose what I'm trying to say is it might be better saving your capture file as an Mpeg2 file and not Avi (which are usually enormous anyway).
    Another thing I do sometimes if the file is just for playing on the PC and I want to save some space is I convert the Mpeg2 file to Divx.
    Another option I'm considering is buying a DVD Recorder which might even end up being the best bet as you won't have to go through all the post processing afterwards (in theory).
    I've probably not answered your question but try as many options as you can.

3. brettmw

brettmw Guest

You say the main menu is displayed on the TV, do you click the remote control on the menu, or press 1 to get it going? just curious. The fact that the dvd is working at all means your dvd player is accepting the format i.e. dvd-+r. I had problems initially using the +R format but thats ok because now i just use -R.

I have just backed-up or copied 2 dvd's using nero's vision express. The dvd's work fine in my dvd player but you must remember they wont automatically play, you do need to select a menu item in order for it to work. Not sure if thats the problem but if it comes up on your tv it should work. You could always do what i do, make small samples first to get yourself used to the software.

Down to my problem, When i make the AVi using Nero's vision express, if i go directly to copy dvd i have no problems what so ever..... however if i need to play with it at all, i.e. make a movie and then go to burn, i usually get kicked out by nero, it seems anything hard it cant handle...im wondering if thats because of my specs, and wonder if im just too low on resources.

I have a 1.o gig amd with 256 meg of ram and i cant do anything else while the dvd burn is in progress.. is there anyone out there who can tell me if thats a problem, and what specs i would need so i didnt have to worry about resources anymore....

Thanks

4. VasMal

VasMal Member

I have the same problem. Try to install a old copy of nero vision 2. With 2.0.1.x run correctly.

5. Hef

Hef Guest

I also am unable to start the dvd using the menu's. The dvd plays fine using my dvd player on my pc. I have nero for burining, and capture video using Premiere 6. This is really frustrating. I have to believe many are having this problem.