1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Columbia Pictures Movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by burner10, Jan 31, 2005.

1. burner10

burner10 Guest

I have all the correct software to download and burn DVD and able to do so, but when it comes to Columbia Picture movies the DVD Shrik program stops analyzing the movie about 18% into it, and the system freezes up. This only happens with this sudio's pictures. Help please.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

What is your Shrink's target size set as ?

All downloads are put there by pple who might well add something to them. What is your source ?

3. burner10

burner10 Guest

I'm sorry not sure what you mean by target size. Source?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Target size,

DVD Shrink, edit, preferences, Perferences, target DVD size ?

5. burner10

burner10 Guest

it is set correctly thati can see to burn onto a 4.7GB disc. And it works for every sudio I have tried except for Columbia. Did Columbia do something special? When you click on open disc it notmally tells you the drive it is in then:\the movie title, then you click ok and and it starts to analyze the disc. it does not say the title when it is from Columbia.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If that is what your guide tells you then I'd stick with it.

Perhaps you should go over your guide again, just to double-check settings.

I've been doing this for a little while and I've never had a problem with the software. Especially with the new DVD Shrink. As I was one of their beta testers, I went back to DVD Shrink's Beta-testers forum and didn't find anything at all there That's why I asked you about your settings -

Since you have got everything correct, I can offer nothing additional -

Cheers,

7. nalfien

nalfien Member

hey burner10 fo to this web page http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/
    columbia is a sony company and use the new encryption shown in the first paragraph there. just download the dvd decryptor and follow the directions on the page.
    happy burning

8. Roseann

Roseann Guest

I have just downloaded dvd decryptor and will try it on a Columbia movie, I have found too that I am unable to burn any Columbia movie using dvd shrink combined with dvd43 ....

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Pple,

Please understand that DVD Shrink has not had any work done on it concerning encryptions since July of 2004. A lot has happened in the past year. As for DVDD and DVD43, they are both up-to-date as of this month. DVDD will not ever be updated again BUT for now, it is fine.

It is sheer folly to use DVD Shrink to rip DVD's.

Currently, the following are commonly used to rip DVD's,

DVD Decrypter - (FREE) But discontinued but still rated as one of the top 2
    AnyDVD - ($39.99(USD)It is only being listed in the number 2 position because it is a $$$$ proggy. AnyDVD is considered as one of the top 2 available and is regularly being updated and seems immune from attack by the authorities.
    DVD43 - (FREE) is current although it is only ably to rip about 84% of today's DVD's

I hope this has been of some help,

Pete

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@Burner10,

Because a proggy has a default doesn't mean the setting is the proper one.

Consider changing DVD sizes to 4360MB when using a single-sided DVD Blank AND, if you are using a low end, crappy media i.e. Memorex, change the setting to 4200MB so that you don't burn to the outher edge of the disc where the dye may be uneven or even missing. It will save you a host of coasters.

Cheers,

Pete

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Listen up cause Pete knows his stuff on the Shrink. The author of that app did an excellent job in creating a freeware app that can compete with the retail offerings. Following a year of no support, Shrink is still going strong. It works with old tech (FAT32) and the new (NTFS). I still use Shrink for some utilities, but I've moved on. I have to admit I paid for it though. Many of the developers of good software want to be paid. That's why Dr. Shrink went to work for Nero. Ever wonder why Recode and Shrink have similarities.

Back to the subject at hand. I agree with Pete, rip the source with DVD Decrypter (downloadable here at AD). Then if that doesn't solve the problem, then think about changing file sizes and doing some troubleshooting. There's a section devoted to Shrink here at AD with loads of info already posted.

As for that handy little program, AnyDVD, I agree with Pete there as well. So far, it can't be beat. Unlike Decrypter, AnyDVD is a driver type decryption tool; Decrypter rips the files to the hard drive while removing the encryption. In other words, it works in the background and it appears as though you're working with an unprotected disc. As long as the little red fox icon is on the bar, it's working. You can read up on it at the Slysoft site and download the 3 week trial to give it a road test. http://www.slysoft.com With AnyDVD on, using Shrink is just like in the past, only those new encryption systems don't cause problems. At least you can be pretty much trouble free for a few weeks with the AnyDVD. Of course that Decrypter is free and still a valuable item. I have and use both quite a bit. I give them both high ratings and like to emphasize, there are important differences in these programs besides their ability to decrypt a DVD.