1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning copy protected dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bcakt6, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beltline

beltline Regular member

Shaddy, not sure if this is your problem or not. I'm a newbie, but I saw this on another thread:

SLOW RIPS,Could be in PIO mode, READ HERE

Could be in PIO mode, check it with this:

Go to
    My Computer
    Control Panel
    System
    Hardware
    Device Manager
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    Open the installed IDE channels (Primary and Secondary)
    Click on Advanced settings Pay close attention to step 9
    You will see the transfer mode. Change it to DMA if available. If any are PIO you need to un-install the channel (right click on the channel and choose uninstall) and re-boot. Windows will reinstall the device and return it to DMA mode.
    Be careful when using this procedure because if you have an older hard drive or storage device that does not support DMA you could corrupt your data.

jh

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]SLOW RIPS,Could be in PIO mode, READ HERE [/bold]

shaddy, I think we covered this already in this thread, but sometimes your PC will revert back to PIO from DMA (if available) which would indeed slow your backup times down as beltline has mentioned.

Also you might need a fresh uninstall/reinstall. Lots of times that will clear thing up

How long are your burn times taking?

EDIT**-yep we did discuss this, on page 16 of this thread, at the time you said it was your source video, is it now doing it with anything?

Have you tried any other apps just to narrow the problem down? If it only does it with /shrink/decrypter we know it's the program, if it does it w/another app we know it's your PC.

PS-I prefer Jack Daniels over beer, LOL :>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]I received Nero OEM 5 Bundle when I bought my DVD Burner - Toshiba 5272).[/bold]

beltline, two things come to mind. Player compatibility, and what media are you using?

Also, that's an old version of Nero, i would recommend updating to Ultra 6. You can use it each and every month for the ENTIRE month for free till you decide to purchase the upgrade. (i highly recommend it) It has a ton of audio/video apps plus cover design, photoshop, tookit, etc. it must be reloaded at the beginning of each month as long as you use the trial version :>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

brobear,

I thought I already mentioned that its been some time since I posted anything about Imatition, do you feel that it's necessary to muddle up this thread with a non-arguement ? It was going along so nice and peaceful and nary a mention of Imatation until just now. May I inquire why ?

Hey there beltline,

Why to go there good guy, you hit the nail oin the head.

Now, THAT'S what it's all about - You see something you can help out on, jjust jump right in -

Yep, it keeps right on rambling on -

Cheers,

Pete

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Pete
    The muddle was started by you and if there is a non argument it is in your own mind. I thought we agreed. I'll just muddle on out of here, seems something about my presence bothers "his imminence".

6. beltline

beltline Regular member

Brobear, so is it the software that burns the backup that DVD players have issue with or the DVD-R? My DVD has played all the copy's I made with dvdxcopy so I assumed the DVD-R I was using were ok, but if it's the software then that could explain it.

I'm almost embarrased to say the DVD-R's I use. They're GQ, I get them at Fry's and pay .19 cents a dvd. They've worked great so far. Just having issues with the software I was using. That's why I'm trying out DVDSHRINK.

Thanks guys for the help.

Beltline

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Oh how quickly we forget. I was only clarifying for the other members the Imation situation you mentioned previously and was brought up by a member and started the so called muddling. I just wanted to point out the +R and -R difference. I note you mentioned not keeping tabs on Imation and your classification of Memorex. I said in my post that we agreed. Ricoh is a top line manufacturer and the +R Imation is a good product. Saying Imation is bad is doing a disservice to all (I'll note here you said little to nothing about current Imation quality in your last posts on this thread). Listing their -R media as questionable would be valid. So, you are right about a non argument. My question is why you made an issue of a non argument, as you say, that wasn't even at issue. Kindly find someone else to try to reprimand. Muddling over.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]I'm almost embarrased to say the DVD-R's I use. They're GQ, I get them at Fry's and pay .19 cents a dvd.[/bold]

They may work now, what about a year from now?

What about right now? By using good quality media this question wouldn't even be an issue right now.

Media is a larger issue than people give it credit for, especially newbies. This isn't CD burning or VHS recording, this is DVD backup. The most CPU intensive thing your PC can do! It isn't just a matter of maybe one's quality is a little better than another, it's a matter of getting your backups to even work properly.

Why do you go thru all the trouble and expense of getting a PC capable of DVD burning, invest in software and then toss it all out the window to save 10 cents?

Also, with cheap media, you stand the chance of inconsistency, one batch may work while the mext 3 won't, or visa versa.

If you've read the threads, and I take it you have(since you are embarrased to admit your media), then you know what media is recommended. And at under .50 each with free shipping, it shouldn't be a problem.

[bold] is it the software that burns the backup that DVD players have issue with or the DVD-R[/bold]

Usually compatibility issues have to do with + or -, R or RW. It can (and is a lot of the time) be the media even tho the formats are compatible. Again, by using good dependable media you eliminate that side of it as long as the formats are compatible. You can then look elsewhere if you have problems.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

beltline
    There are several causes for a recorded DVD not playing. Bad media could be a cause. Another is the player and in some instances even the burner.

In the case of standalone DVD players, some are touchy about the format. Some of the older players would only play -R. The newer ones will play most formats including CD. So with players, check the model to see what formats are compatible. A little googling will usually turn up the info if you can't get it easily from the manufacturer support.

Just to give you some different situations I've run into personally:

DVDs recorded on my burner work in my player and my son's. They wouldn't play in another family member's player. I record using +R Ricoh media most of the time, +R format all the time.

A tried viewing a backup a friend recorded on the same type media I use and my standalone player wouldn't play it. As a test I recorded the file from his DVD on my computer and burned with my burner and the DVD played in the standalone. The only difference was the burner.

So far I've only used one batch of questionable media. It just so happened I was working out some software problems at the time; so I don't know if a couple of coasters were media or software. The media wasn't cheap, just questionable. The best advice I can give you is to buy a reputable brand that has a good track record. The one's you have don't. About the cheapest good media I've seen lately is the Ritek and RiData from Meritline.

I'd advise getting some decent media to insure that isn't your problem. On the part of the software, unless there is a problem with a corrupted program, neither Shrink nor XCopy should affect the player as far as media format or playability. Sometimes a burner program can make a difference, but I know of no instances of this happening with Shrink and Nero or Decryter.

Try this and see if it solves your problem. Use ADD Remove in the control panel and delete your programs. Then run your cleanup utilities and Reg cleaner. Reboot and install the programs. Then use some good media. Usually this takes care of most problems.

10. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. My IDE channels are already set to "DMA (if available)", beltline, so that rules that out.

BigO, you're right - we did discuss this earlier but the problem never cleared up but in fact worsened. I naively thought that it would just snap out of its sluggish phase or something.

I did try one other app - Nero. All it did was have DVD Shrink take about 4 hours to make an image to my hard drive and as soon as the copy process began, a HUGE error message apeared, listing all of my hardware and settings and stuff like that, and stated that there was an internal error and that Nero cannot continue. "Operation failed".

When I first used Nero for DVD backups, it was when I bought my DVD writer last week - a Sony DRU-710A - and Nero came as a bundle. It immediately said that the disc was copyrighted and that it could not be copied.

The combination of Decrypter/Shrink worked like magic for the ten or so discs that I made, in spite of error messages that appeared there too.

I think it would be great if we could talk on the phone or something more direct because while I appreciate this forum a lot, it doesn't allow for immediacy of response.

I think I've answered all of the questions - so a bit of assistance would be awesome. Thanks, guys.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Shaddy, let's straighten out a couple of things.

1)decrypter rips and burns but won't compress or edit/re-author

2)shrink rips, edits/re-authors, compresses, but won't burn.

3)Nero edits/re-authors, compresses, and burns, but won't rip.

As you can see it takes a combo of two to work, any two. (unless the source needs no compressing or editing, then u can use decrypter in ISO mode to rip and burn because it will only burn iso files).

Soooo, the reason nero wouldn't work is because it can't rip, or get around the encryption. Rip with decrypter in file mode to your hard drive, then open nero recode and browse to those files. Use recode as you would shrink, they work almost exactly the same.

If you have problems, just shout, we'll at least narrow down wherein your problem lies :>)

12. billbo09

billbo09 Guest

i tried to burn a copy of the punisher using dvd-shrink, and it said the disc had a copy right law. so i was reading these threads at work today and came across one that said to decrpyt with dvd decrypter. i downloaded both of these recently and have been following scuba's directions. however i was really confused once the decrypter was through with the movie. what is the next step to the process?

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Open shrink, click on open files, browse to the folder you just ripped with decrypter, and click on it, shrink will then start analyzing.

If you need help on shrink, I wrote a simple guide using shrink 3.2, either using this method, or ripping from the disc and burning with decrypter or nero.. It's on page 13 of this thread 2/3 of the way down :>)

14. buckley28

buckley28 Member

SubaPete,
    OK so after some major education on burning DVD's I have come to the last couple of questions. Just to get you up to speed I have installed both the Shrink Program and the DVD Decryptor and had success with following the instructions you set forth for all of us. I know have my first ISO image on my HD awaiting the transfer onto an actual DVD disc. This is where I get a little messy.
    I have a Dell which came with the Sonic RecordNow software. I dont plan on using it but my problem is that I just was educated to the fact that I have a 16x DVD+RW drive which came with the computer. Totally fast and everything but the discs I just bought (from eBay) that are the dual sided DVD-R. You know the ones that fit 9.4GB? Anyway after looking through some of the posts I am I correct in understanding that my drive does not support the format of the discs? Because as bCat6 stated "medium is not present so it's not burning the DVD" came up when I was going to do the actual burning of the file. I think I am correct but need some clarification.

One last thing, I understand from reading certain areas around the internet that the dual sided (9.4GB) DVD+RW will not be available for sometime to the general public. Is this so? If not where can I get some so I dont have to break up or reduce any of the movies ready to be burned?

Thanks bud, you've been a huge help thus far.

15. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

Thanks for the useful info, BigO. I used a combination of Decrypter in file mode and Nero Recode as you suggested, and the process went smothly. No error messages.

The disc, however, won't play. It is not being recogised by the DVD-ROM or by the DVD player connected to my TV. The brand is TDK.

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

shaddy, that definitely sounds like a media problem. Use dvdinfopro and see what the manufacturer of the TDK discs are. If they are MCC, that's Mitsibishi and they should be OK. If not, that's probably your problem.

Again, you're using a media that can be produced by different manufacturers because they farm out some of their media, so you never know what you're getting from one batch to the next.

Why weren't we using the branded Ritek G04 4x -R or the branded Ridata 4x +R that was recommended? Hmmm....? heh heh

I just can't seem to impress on people the IMPORTANCE of quality media(you can't see me but I'm crying right now ;>( ), not expensive( either of those discs are under .50 w/free shipping) just good dependable quality..

One last thing, what is the format of your DVD-ROM drive, burner, and DVD player? Now, what is the format of your media?

All must match.(+ or -, R and RW)

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

buckley28,

Permit me to intervine til my good friend Pete can get back to ya.

[bold]Totally fast and everything but the discs I just bought (from eBay) that are the dual sided DVD-R. You know the ones that fit 9.4GB? Anyway after looking through some of the posts I am I correct in understanding that my drive does not support the format of the discs? Because as bCat6 stated "medium is not present so it's not burning the DVD" came up when I was going to do the actual burning of the file. I think I am correct but need some clarification.[/bold]

No.1-the slower the burn the less chance for error, not to mention the media is much cheaper. I never burn at over 4x. Fast burns are known for causing errors.

No.-2 What media are you using and does your format of your burner match the format of your media? By format I mean +,-,R. and RW. You also need to get Quality media like Ritek, Ridata, or verbatim. Make sure they are BRANDED. Bad media causes more errors than all the rest of DVD backup combined(that may be an exaggeration,but i'm trying to make a point!), it's not just a quality issue, it's a matter of having a workable copy.

Now, you're saying dual sided, do you mean dual sided or dual layered? A dual sided disc is a flipper disc, that is, it plays on both sides of the DVD disc. A regular burner can burn these discs because all it sees is a DVD 5 disc.(4.37gigs)

A dual layer disc is all on one side, it has two layers, that is, a burner has to be able to detect the second layer and when it begins. This disc is DVD9(8.5 gigs). A special dual layer burner is required to burn these discs.

Since I don't know your burner or your media I can't really tell you anything specific.

One last thing, if you are indeed using dual layered discs, you can use decrypter by itself in ISO mode(read and write) as long as it doesn't go over 8.5 gigs. forget that 9.4 crap, as in the DVD 5 they tell you 4.7 but it's only 4.37, the DL discs are only 8.5g.

Decrypter can handle dual layered discs, but it must write in ISO. Since these discs are so large, there is no need to use an editing or compressing application, because unless they exceed 8.5 the files will fit on DL media. Most movies (with bonus features) run around 7.5-7.9 gigs.

Hope this helps........

EDIT***-i just noticed you said your burner supports +RW? That means it will support +R or +RW. It doesn't mean you can only burn RW discs. If I had your burner specs and your media specs, i could do a whole lot better. BTW, you are talking about your burner and not your DVD-ROM drive, right?

18. gimpie

gimpie Member

Big O,

I just want to let you know that you impressed upon me the importance of media, I believe totally that crap media brings crap results. Besides, the Riteks look all pretty with the nice Sharpie touch. I have yet to create one out to the 15 or so I have made, that has not worked, so I am a believer.

I bow now.

gimpie

One more thing, what is a good registry cleaning program to use? I tried a couple that I found free trials on the net, but I was not impressed enough to spend $30.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Prostar 5600P, 2.0Ghz P IV, 512mb DDR, 64mb ATI mobility 7500, 40gb HD, 80gb external HD, NEC ND6500-A burner Win XP SP2[/small]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  19. Pattykmn

Pattykmn Member

Do you guys know who makes Fugi media?
    I just bought a Pioneer DVD recorder for the livingroom and that is one of the recommended brands (as are Sony and Ritek and Verbatum, like you guys have said). The freebies that came with the recorder are Fugi also.
    Personally, I have never much cared for Fugi products; just wondering what you guys think...

20. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Well .. ket's see .. the FUJI media could have been produced by one of five manufacturers ...
    1- Tayoyuden (excellent)
    2- MCC (excellent)
    3- RICOHJPN (also produces RiDATA, which is what I use)
    4- Prodisc (another great manufacturer)
    5- Fujifilm (grades out well by digitalfaq.com, but is the lowest of the five)
     .. to determine the exact manufacturer of your media, you must install and use a program such as DVD Identifier ...

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

... and the digitalfaq website is ...

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

.. My personal favorite media is the RiDATA branded Ritek discs ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.