1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning copy protected dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bcakt6, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]tyeshab[/bold]

oops, I missed your post. So your HD is already formatted NTFS? It came that way? You do not need to change it, that's where you want to be, I'm a little surprised is all. You are sure it is NTFS?, usually from the factory they are formatted FAT32. but since I don't know your system it could be NTFS.

BTW, could you post your system specs?

Have you tried to re-author and copy "movie only" with no menu and extras?

One other thing, did shrink show any red spikes when you first clicked on "open disc" in the analyzing window?

Could you also post the decrypter log from when you ripped it?

And finally, have you tried any other software on this movie?

BTW, what is the movie?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. Buik

Buik Regular member

MRSE. This is "Off Subject" and frowned upon. Godspeed to your husband. I thank him for his service. I pray that he returns safe & sound. I also thank you for the sacrifices that you have made, and are still making. Military service is a family affair.

TC (MSgt, USAF Retired)

3. jwhyrock

jwhyrock Guest

Ok I'm running late on replying so I apologize. Someone asked me what brand of DVD+RW I used and had success. It was Sony.

I used the DVD Identifier per Scuba, but I'm not sure I'm using it correctly. This is what my computer says my DVD burner is: _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD [FW 103D]

The box in the top right of the program says +R and +RW in green. If this was the case though would I still be able to view my burned DVD-Rs? I can view my dvds on my computer, but not on a stand alone dvd player. I did have success with a Sony brand DVD+RW on a stand alone.

Below is the information under drive capabilities it gave me from the dvd I successfully burned. It didn't recognize my blank one and didn't recognize any of the dvd-r s:

** INFO : An Empty Writable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
    ** INFO : Drive = _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD [FW 103D]
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+RW
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD+RW:RICOHJPN-W11-001]
    ** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
    Descriptor #1 = 5408 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #2 = 3245 KBPS ( 2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
    Descriptor #1 = 5645 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #2 = 4234 KBPS ( 3.06x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
    Descriptor #3 = 3528 KBPS ( 2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #4 = 2822 KBPS ( 2.04x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
    Descriptor #5 = 1411 KBPS ( 1.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #6 = 706 KBPS ( 0.51x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
    ** WARNING : Drive May Have Returned Incorrect Descriptors

I do have Windows XP and haven't partioned anything yet. I believe I have Fat 32, but I will check into that to make sure.

So if I do have Fat 32 is it your recommendation that number 1 I partion part of my hard drive to NTSF, and number 2 get a good brand of DVD+Rs?

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

absolutely! I just told tyeshab how to partition his HD in an earlier post or use partition magic 8 if you feel uncomfortable about it.. Make sure you partition and don't reformat!

Media will have to be +R,RW. Your burner doesn't burn -media. That doesn't mean it can't read -,+ discs. My D drive is only a CD burner, but it can read DVD R,RW,+,-.

Actually you should always burn with your writer and read with your drive if possible, it will increase the life of your burner dramatically.

good luck...

5. hongwon

hongwon Member

hi -- so i've gone through all these pages and was abs. saved by the lesson from scubapete on the dvd shrink and decrypter. but now i have a problem - everything went really smoothly with dvd decrypter starting up on its own from shrink, etc., but when i put in the blank dvd, decrypter opens a message windo and says
    "I/O Error!" and lists the device and scsistatus (??) and says "Interpretation: Check Condition" and then
    "CDB:" a whole string of 0's and 2's and then "Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 0-31" and then
    "Sense Area: ..." and a really damn long string of 0's and a few other numbers scattered in -- then it says "Interpretation: Cannot Write Medium -- Incompatible Format"

SO I'm wondering what is going on because the Interpretations don't tell me much. Also the program has a woman's voice that says "OH NO" if something goes wrong and it kind of freaked me out. anyway i've been working on this alllll night and i'm frustrated, but i'm sure any help would be great.

Thanks--

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there hongwon, Welcome to aD,

This usually means that you're dealing with a crappy media.

I covered all this on page 3 of this thread - Check it out !

I'd rather you go back one page rather than have me re-type it all over again just for you - You understand, don't you ? :)

Cheers,

Pete

7. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

okay....the movie is Scarface.

my computer is refurbished which may be y it already is in NTFS format. and, yes, i am positive it read file system NTFS under disk management. the specs for my computer and dvd burner are as follows:

EMachine C2685 Specifications
    Operating Systems Windows XP Home Edition SP1
    Platform PC
    Form Factor Tower
    PCI Slots (Total) 3
    Expansion Slots 4
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Class Celeron
    Processor Speed 2.60GHz
    Memory Type DDR
    Total Memory 512MB
    Capacity 80GB
    Optical Drive Type DVD-ROM / CD-RW Combo

TDK External DED+840/8x4x12x DVD+RW/4x2x12x DVD-RW/40x24x40x CD-RW/Dual/USB 2.0 & Firewire/Refurbished DVD Burner

no, i didnt see any red spikes. there were only green spikes in the boxes. i tried to reauthor it just doing the movie and i still got the "programming error-exception occured" error followed by windows error requesting to close the program.

no, i tried using the nero trial version but as soon as i downloaded, it said that it had expired so i removed it from my HD. i have roxio easy cd and dvd creator 6 which is what i was trying to use before i found out about this website and dvdshrink and decrypter but it said that the dvd was protected and wouldnt burn it.

here is a copy of my decrypter log. i have tried backing it up from the files instead of the dvd itself but i still got the error. it gets about 10seconds into backing it up and then it gives me the error at the exact same spot each time.

[​IMG]

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

"Houston, we have a problem."

Roxio and Nero for the most part, don't co-exist. Roxio doesn't get along with Nero which is a shame as I liked Roxio as a compiler for my MP3 music. Well I for one learned to work with Nero to do my music and now with everything that Nero does I only miss Roxio a little bit :)

If you want to rid yourself of Roxio go to Start, All Programs, Roxio and choose uninstall Roxio. Since Roxio is so insidious, you'll need to run Roxio zapper to clean all the tendrils of Roxio from your Registry and Program files.

Remove all Roxio tentacles and tendrils with Roxio Zapper -

Find it here:

http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Good luck and cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Pete's right, Roxio causes problems with other software! It is a very greedy app and doesn't play well with others. That's why I asked you if you had other DVD software.

Nero Ultra 6 has to be loaded each and every month in order to get it free, it will last that entire month and then you must do it again til you buy. You must also load update packs 1,2,4,5. )Skip pack 3-InCD, it also causes problems with other apps)

If you don't have nero what have you been burning with?

We're getting heavy flooding right now from the hurricane and power is on and off, let me look at the log and system specs and I'll get back to ya. Not sure when, but I'll be back(in a terminator voice,lol)

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]If you want to rid yourself of "Nero" go to Start, All Programs, Roxio and choose uninstall Roxio[/bold]

I believe Pete meant to say if you want to rid yourself of "Roxio".

Hey buddy, typo?

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Big "O", I've got inlaws in Camden, Tenn.
    About 90 miles S/W of Nashville off interstate I-40 -

If ya hear anything about that area, shoot me a PM -

Thanks,

Pete

12. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

YAAAYYY! i finally figured it out...i think! it was due to user error...lol. there was something about the main menu that was causing it to give that error (it took three coasters to finger that one out @#$%&*!) so instead of going to reauthor and dropping and dragging it under disk compilation (or whaever it's called) i just unchecked the box and tried to back it up that way which was a no-no because that was when i started getting the handle invalid error.
    at any rate, it is encoding now and it has been for about an hour or so and still has about 10 minutes to go. hopefully, after this, i will be able to burn it to a dvd. thanks so much guys for all of ur help *kiss kiss*.

13. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

this really sucks...

ok...i finally got it to work after three days of trying but it would be just my luck that i would receive an "I/O" error from decrypter while it was burning the dvd. i followed scubapete's instructions on page 3 and downloaded the identifier and it identified the cd as:

http://www.mediamatch.de/mediainfo.php?UDI=[DVD-R:TYG02]

*ugh*...lol...dvd backing up is not for me! i wish i would have known this. it would have saved me $150...lol...ah, well!

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

tyeshab, from your previous post it doesn't sound like you are following directions, also, you said [bold]hopefully, after this, i will be able to burn it to a dvd[/bold] If done correctly you never have to open decrypter or nero, shrink does it on it's own, when the disc is done shrink lets you know.

Here is a quick guide I wrote for shrink 3.2, read these steps and see if you have followed them. If the movie is real long just disable all extras with the still image feature at once without opening them, leave menu alone.

I would also suggest using an RW so you don't waste so many coasters, til you get it right.

I promise you if you follow these directions you will have a working copy.

1-open shrink, be sure and create a temp folder where you can find it.

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Pete, I don't think that end is getting hammered like we are but if I hear anything I will certainly let you know. This is supposed to go all thru the weekend to next week. Our power keeps coming on and off, so I can only get on when it's on.lol

16. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

that's what it did. when shrink was finished, it opened decrypter. however, when decrypter was 41% complete, it gave the I/O error.

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmm, so you followed the guide exactly?

Did you have auto burn with Nero enabled when you tried to burn with decrypter?

I will figure this out yet,lol.(if you'll stick w/me)

I even talked to Mr. shrink jr. and he couldn't come up with anything I haven't already thought of.

Did you remove roxio and try it again after downloading Nero ultra 6 and enabling the burn with nero and setting your burner in the target window instead of ISO files with decrypter?

18. michigan

michigan Guest

Hey ScubaPete, I have relatives in Big Sandy, TN just up the road from Camden. So BigO you got your boat ready to go in case the rain sticks around?

19. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

Bigorange, what do you mean by this?

Do you mean when reauthorizing? Can you get a working menu in full disc? Just wanna be clear and thanks for the good guide! ScubaP...little competition???

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]Newfee[/bold], thanx, but Pete's guides are entertaining besides being informative.lol

you asked[bold]Do you mean when reauthorizing? Can you get a working menu in full disc? [/bold]

The answer would be no in re-authoring, this only holds true when editing(steps 4-5a). Re-authoring(step 6) will lose menu function. Full disc will retain menu function.

As long as you don't re-author you can keep menu function.

Also, under main movie, there is usually only one title, sometimes they will have 2 versions(full and wide), you can either, 1-raise compression and keep both, or 2-I recommend using the still image feature on one and keeping the other. Menu function will be retained when doing this.

Good luck...

[bold]michigan[/bold]lol, I do have my boat ready.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.