1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning distro to CD

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by dglp, Apr 14, 2006.

1. dglp

dglp Member

Hi,

I'm trying to get a linux-based operating system set up on an old laptop. I've downloaded various packages to a PC, but am confused about how to proceed from there. I need to write a CD, but am not clear about which mode to use: ISO, image, Boot, CD Copy, and so on.

At the moment I have a Knoppix Live CD that works, (given to me by a friend) but I would like to get a 'permanent' installation of any distro, so I've downloaded ubuntu, kubuntu, and a boot floppy executable for SUSE.

Can you walk me through the first few steps of getting something installed?

2. DMW

DMW Regular member

What CD burning software do you use?

3. dglp

dglp Member

I've got Nero 5.5

It gives several options. But the explanations confuse me.

For example, Section 6.8.4 (p.66) of the User Guide gives a long but confusing explanation of what to do for a bootable CD.

PDF at ftp://ftp6.nero.com/manual/NeroBurningRom_ENG.pdf

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  4. DMW

DMW Regular member

Don't worry to much about those instructions. They are aimed more at people that are creating their own bootable cd with their own compilation of software etc on it.

Open Nero and go to the "burn image" option, I think it is under the file menu in 5.5, then select your downloaded image and click burn.

This will create the bootable Linux CD and your ready to boot off it and install.

Hope it helps.

5. dglp

dglp Member

Success! Thank You!

For future reference:
    When I go to the Nero menu File|Burn Image I'm prompted to select a source file - so I chose the live version that I've downloaded: kubuntu-5.10-live-i386.iso. The software then identifies the process as a Data Mode 1 image. Clicking on the Write button takes care of the rest.

Now, the next task is to get a 'permanent' installation running on the hard drive.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  6. DMW

DMW Regular member

Glad you've solved the burning issue.

If you want a permanent install of Kubuntu you may have to download a different version. I don't know if the Kubuntu live cd gives an option of a permanent install, it may though so it's worth a look.

If not you'll have todownload the install .iso file and use the procedure you used before to burn it.

Have fun with Linux.

7. tocool4u2

tocool4u2 Guest

They also have DVD ISO's that have Live Cd and Full installation on ubuntu and kubuntu's site.........

I am currently burning the Dapper Drake Live Cd....Have you tried it DMW?

It still has some bugs i heard but full release is in June

8. DMW

DMW Regular member

@tocool4u2
    Not tried Dapper yet, I have Breezy installed at the moment and have been told how to upgrade from it to Dapper.

Not been brave enough to try yet, don't wanna reinstall if it doesnt work :)

The Live/Install version of Dapper when released should be great, nice move in my opinion.

9. tocool4u2

tocool4u2 Guest

You don't have to upgrade...They have a Live Cd of it..

I currently have have Ubuntu Breezy......I tried kubuntu but for some reason i like the Gnome and i think it is more stable....

Also i upgraded the Kernal..what does this do?

Now on GRUB i have 686 (I think) and before i had 386(Ithink)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2006
  10. DMW

DMW Regular member

Yeah I was gonna grab the live cd, but the problem I have and it's only because I'm inpatient, is that if I like it, I want to upgrade my current install, I just don't want to mess up all my installed programs. I might just wait until official release...about a month I think.

The kernel updates are for various reasons, sometimes it is security updates that are highly recommended you do, other times it could add driver support for new hardware.

They also do CPU specific ones which are optimised around a certain architecture, the 386 one is the generic one that runs on any x86 CPU and the others are based around certain chips.
    Example, I have a K7 kernel for my athlon.....honestly I saw no difference, but I like the idea of having a kernel designed around the right CPU.
    If you have the 686 kernel installed, that means it is designed around the P4 chip, which if you have should offer improvement (maybe).

EDIT: downloading live cd now :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  11. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

I know you resolved your burn problem already, but Afterdawn has IMGburn and it will burn an ISO with two clicks of a mouse... I loved it, just wanted to mention it.