1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning downloaded movies to DVD

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by faully, Nov 8, 2005.

1. faully

faully Member

Firstly an apology seeing as this has most likely been discussed before, but being a newbie I wasn't too sure about how to compose the query.

I currently have limewire on my comp for my daughters to download music, no probs there, but when I had a go at downloading movies that was fine until I tried to burn them, nada! I currently have DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter, but every time I try to burn the movie it comes up as *bad file name or format*. So can anyone tell me what program it takes to convert a downloaded movie to dvd.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    With regards...faully

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

What are the formats of your downloaded videos (e.g. avi, mpeg)?

3. faully

faully Member

To be honest, I don't know. I had a search of the program file but couldn't see what format it uses.

4. faully

faully Member

Ok...had a better look and now realise that it's in AVI. Once again i apologize for being a pain but i'm prettey illiterate when it comes to computers and how they work, but i'm getting there.

5. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

6. faully

faully Member

ok, thanks. i'm downloading the software and will give it a go and let you know how it went.

7. cuddles4u

cuddles4u Member

Hello all first off I am also a newbie here and with burning dvd's an I would like to thank all those who put their time an efforts and patience into helping us all.

I to am like faully, I know nothing about burning dvd's I to have limewire as my download program and use nero for burning.
    I would like to burn dvd's so as I can play them on my tv using a dvd player. I would like to know how to perform this task and what I will need in order to accomplish this with minimal problems. I have noticed when i chose most of the movies i want they are avi?
    please feel free to email me on this with any advice or comments on this and please remember I am a novice at this .

thank you all for your time .....email me at cuddles4u@sympatico.ca

8. faully

faully Member

OK...downloaded the DivxToDVD and it works , sync is a little out tho but i'll put up with until i work it all out. So thank you for the help, it has much appreciated:)))

9. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

@ faully,

About the sync. problem, you may first try use a different encoder (e.g. DVDSanta, Winavi) to see if things are better.

@ cuddles4u,

If you have avis, you may also try convert them into dvd compliant format with VSO (free version), theb burn to dvd with e.g. Nero. Just follow my previous link to get VSO.

Good luck!

10. cuddles4u

cuddles4u Member

thank you very much when I I get my burner installed will download that vso ..may i ask what is "encoder" you refered to is ? and do i need this also and where do i get that plz.

11. cuddles4u

cuddles4u Member

ps no i dont have anything right now what is avis ??

12. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

By 'encoder', I was referring to programs that would convert a video (e.g. avi, mpeg) into dvd compliant format (i.e. with video_ts folder) to be burnt to dvd.

Avi is just a popular video format.

13. cuddles4u

cuddles4u Member

k have nero7 to burn an have burnt a couple of dvd's I have downloaded from lime wire avi movies and they work in my dvd player great so far .
    I see movies I would like to burn but are called "mpg" "mpeg" and "dvddivx rip" what is "dvddivx rip"?? also as I did download one of these when I went to burn it shows 1/3 the space a avi movie took up .. may I ask what are these are? and can I down load them an burn to view on tv dvd player like avi's ? thank you

14. cuddles4u

cuddles4u Member

Hi there again its me .. I am haveing great luck downloading and burning the movies but one think keeps happening to me after I download a movie and try to open in in windows player I get a lil flag in my task bar odg..."" and get msg box"" windows media player can't play this file may need more codec """ I have downloaded a codec package and 90% open fine and play but ...is there something i need to get in order for those others to open or is it just the movie I downloaded??
    please!! any help on this would be appreciated as is flustrating waiting for movies only to have them NOT open an play. Thank you
    and any other lil tricks you may know of on how to get movies that do play without errors on them would be appreciated also ..

15. KyAl_33

KyAl_33 Member

hey i jus tried to submit a reply but it didnt show up so im trying it again

im a newb at this but i have my movie downloaded and i converted to DVD(VIDEO_TS) with VSO DivXtoDVD and now u said go to nero and i went there but not sure what icon or place to go to in nero so if u can help me that would be great
    p.s. is this all i have to do?

Please and thank you

16. cuddles4u

cuddles4u Member

Hi in nero look for a star (favotites) at the top then go to burn dvd

17. andmerr

andmerr Guest

what version of nero are you running?

18. fb2

fb2 Member

Can someone tell me what Im doing wrong?

Ive downloaded a couple movies (dvdrips) and have only been able to successfully burn them one or two times. Heres what Im doing:
    Convert the AVI files with DivxtoDVD and then burning them with WinAVI. (Ive tried to use Nero to burn them, I have Nero 6 but it always gives me the error that I need to have the Dolby plug in).

WinAvi to burn them is successful one sometimes twice with the burning process but after that the discs say "Disc Error" in the dvd player.
    Ive tried closing the program inbetween burns and that doesnt work.
    Do I need to re-convert the files between burns???
    Ive also tried lowering the speed of the burn with doesnt help either.
    Is there some sort of limit on how many times a file can be burned successfully? That doesnt seem possible to me but at this point I cant think of any other reason that I am only able to burn once or twice.
    OR do I need to give the dvd burner a break inbetween burns? does it need a cool off period between burns?

19. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ fb2: 2 things:

1. what discs are you using?
    2. the nero version 6, what that that you are using and can you produce the nero log as well

20. fb2

fb2 Member

The discs are TEON DVD-R 8X 4.7GB Data/120min Video

WinAVI doesnt produce a log unfortunately and it shows as the burn has been successful but it gives a disc error in the dvd player.