1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning DvDrip.Xvid

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by her0vit, Dec 22, 2007.

1. her0vit

her0vit Member

Hi i was wondering how to burn a dvdrip xvid file. I found out when using imgburn and dvd shrink that the movie comes out really glitchly and skips on my dvd player. I know its not the programs i'm using because when i burn a regular disc, or a dvdrip file these programs work fine. Any feed back would be much appreciate

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Did you burn the xvid as a data disk or did you fist convert the xvid file to be DVD compliant with another program? Does your DVD player play divx/mpeg4 files? If the file plays OK on your PC and you burned it as a data disk for a dix DVD player, I'd guess the burn wasn't a good one or the player is faulty. Use good quality media like Verbatim, make sure the DVD burner firmware is up to date, burn at half or less the rated speed of the media, and don't multitask while burning.

3. her0vit

her0vit Member

I didn't convert anything. My computer seems to play the movie fine, i do not multi task when burning, and i burn at a slow speed. When i burn regular DvDs like i said there is no problem, maybe its the programs i am using.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Maybe your player just doesn't like that particular xvid format. Does it play all other divx/mpeg4 formats OK or is it all xvid/divx titles it has problems with?

5. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

People here are discussing burning XviD files to DVD. Can we instead burn them to CD? The medium is much less expensive than a DVD+R DL (and has LightScribe labels).

My DVD player is the USD$40 Philips DVP3960/37 1080i HDMI DivX player. It claims to play either DVDs or CDs formatted in the proprietary formats DivX® 3.11, 4.x, 5.x, or 6.0 in Home Theater Mode.

Because of people's enthusiasm, I used 'Handbrake' to convert a 7 GB DVD to an XviD MP4 file of less than 700 MB in size. There were two encoding choices: FFmpeg & XviD. It appeared that FFmpeg was meant for files to be played on a computer and XviD for files to be played on a television. However, I doubt my player will recognize the audio format, AAC.

To try it, I understand from this thread that I write the MP4 file as a data file. From the thread I also assume that XviD files (using limited features) will play on such players as mine. I'll try it. Thanks.

6. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Here is the result of attempting to burn the 'Handbrake' MP4 XviD file to CD. When dragging it to 'Burn's window for data file that are to be burned, the file was moved rather than copied (which is the normal Mac interface - I just didn't expect or notice this).

When it attempted to write a .iso disk image (and the Philips player will play MP3 files on ISO 9660 discs), there apparently wasn't enough space, so it wrote part of one, which (of course) wouldn't mount. Meanwhile, the MP4 file was nowhere to be found. (Burn is likely an Aqua interface to Unix programs, so the 'Trash' was bypassed.)

...bye, movie.

Any conjectures on whether this would have worked, had I been more responsible?

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

It doesn't make any difference whether you burn your divx files to DVD or CD. I'd guess most people use DVDs because they are archiving TV show episodes or series most of the time and need the space.

You don't want to write an ISO disk image unless that's what the Mac refers to burning any disk. You want to write your divx files as data to a CD or DVD. I haven't used a Mac since System 9 so I can't be of much help there with burning as data. You have to be a bit careful with 700mb files as those may be larger than CD capacity depending on whether mode 1 or mode 2 is used. This is another reason why people sometimes avoid using CDs.

There is a Mac specific forum here that may be of more help. I just don't use a Mac any longer and so am unfamiliar with current Mac programs.

8. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Thanks! This section may be better, since I can 'speak' different OSs, but I don't speak DivX. The file system created on the .iso file is described by 'Burn' as 'PC & Mac' Data. I believe it's likely ISO 9660, possibly with Apple's extensions.

Old Mac files were in two parts, a 'data fork', which is what you'd expect for ISO 9660 (read by PCs or *nix), and a 'resource fork' that contained various metadata unique to the Mac, such as date of the last backup. I was very conservative, using short names with capital letters & underscores.

My MP4 file is back after a restart! The low virtual memory just corrupted some parts of the OS in real memory. Unfortunately, the computer's owner took it out to watch a movie, so I must try again tomorrow after archiving some data. :)

I'll report back then.

9. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Sorry for the delay. I'm the person with the $40 Philips DVD player on which I wish to play DivX (actually XviD) on CDs, in the spirit of VCD & SVCD. I'm reporting back.

They play beautifully: my research was overkill. I used XviD (with AAC audio), renamed the file MY_MOVIE.DIVX, and copied it to and ISO CD, the burned a Studio 6 DivX similarly, using an ISO disk image. Both played very well.

However, the screen first displays a directory listing of the disc, forcing me to move to the DivX file and select it. Then it plays as I should expect it to when simply inserted. This was my first experience when burning DVDs, years ago.

Should the 'movie' ending in .DIVX be a folder or a file? In the case of a DVD, the folder containing the movie VIDEO_TS is converted to an UFS disk image and copied onto (not into) a DVD. Should I anticipate a directory listing with DivX all the time, only on CDs, or never? It actually wouldn't be bad to send relatives a DVD with a directory of home movies on it; but is there a way to have the CD play spontaneously, as VCD and SVCD do?

Thanks for any suggestions!

10. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

A directory listing is typical. My two players work this way as well (RCA and Philips). If you place files in folders, the folders can be selected to display the files contained within and those files can then be selected and played back.

11. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Lad,

Thank you for explaining why I could not find an alternate method for viewing DivX on CDs! This method is not really a problem, for newer players display photos & such in the same manner. Not exactly a splash screen, though.

It amazes me that Philips or RCA didn't modify their chips to check the first file type and optionally play the first DivX file: or a 'universal fancy disc menu' file, that would take one to various multimedia in any format. It must be a 'marketing thing'.

I'm happy. However, it took so long to compress the movie on a G4 Mac, however, that I may now experiment with SVCD for distribution to relatives. :)

Thanks again!

12. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You're welcome.