1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning dvds with shrink and nero express

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by millieann, Feb 4, 2005.

1. millieann

millieann Member

Thanks for asking. I thought I figured how to access the files from shrink into Nero, and got the burning process going. Said burn was successful, and when I tried to play it in my dvd player on the tv, it said it could not read the disk. I then started from scratch and tried using dvd decrypter first, then backup on shrink, and nero said file was too large. I am either getting denser or I am missing something in the setup. My friend is away for a few months, so I cannot ask him, but I have the updated vs. of shrink, decrypter and nero, and to add to the confusion decrypter also will burn, but I am not familiar enough with the process to do that. My frustration is mounting - now I just want to get it right. The guides really don't help that much.

2. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Congratulations on making it this far. I'm glad you didn't give up!!

First, make sure to uninstall InCD if Nero installed it. It creates big problems and you just don't want it on your machine.

Second, does the dvd backup you burned play in your computer? Check the disk you burned to another standalone dvd player if you can. If you can't check your standalone DVD player against this list of players to make sure it is even capable of playing burned disks. Some are capable just picky about media types.
    http://www.toddvideo.com/dvd_compatible.html

Third, what media are you using to burn on? DVD-R, DVD+R and what brand name? Some burners or players don't like certain brands, etc.

Fourth, if you use Decrypter first in file mode, then open the files in Shrink, with "Burn to Nero" enabled, and click backup, you really shouldn't be seeing messages from Nero. (unless I am missing something - I never seen Nero messages)

Here is the bullet list of what to do for File mode method.
    1. DVD Decrypter = File Mode, click on DVD to Hard Drive icon.
    2. After it finishes, DVD Shrink = Open Files, navigate to file location, put in blank dvd disk, click on Backup (check setting - Edit / Preferences / File I/O tab -- Burn Settings "Enable Burning with Nero"
    3. Shrink will open dialog box, top line reading "Encoding" then it changes to "Burning" and upon completion (1 hour aprox for me) the disk drive opens and the dialog box shows the location of Movie Temp Files that you may now delete.

Thats the whole process if everything is working right with File mode method.

FYI - I use Verbatim DVD+R 4x media and all of dvd players except for one will read the disks, the one that doesn't is older and is not capable of reading DVD-r/+r's at all (older Phillips)

Maybe someone better versed to burning with Decrypter can help, if this final checkover doesn't work.

3. millieann

millieann Member

LivDgirl: You have been so good and encouraging, that I am going to try and document to you what I did today, and maybe you can see the error of my ways. Will be as brief as I can be:
    1) Loaded dvd into computer
    2) Open dvd decrypter and started the process.
    3) Process complete, opened up shrink
    4) Before backup could continue requested files, and when I put in blank disk can up disk empty, so I figured I needed original dvd to backup.
    5) Backup went thru the process successfully, and gave me the file where it was located.
    6) Clicked on file, but wouldnot open.
    7) Opened Nero classic mode
    8) Chose dvd from the dropdown menu
    9) Somehow managed to open the file from the harddrive and selected burn image to disk
    10) Pulled up the file and got the screen recording: write premastered image brought up image file
    on C drive to destination drive: image recorder DVD
    11) Next screen came up looking for a file name
    12) somehow got it to burn, but cannot play back on computer, yet original dvd I copied is the same type of dvd exactly. I think I have something wrong in the setup somehow, and thought maybe you could see what I am doing wrong. You have been so helpful and I really appreciate it. By the way nothing automatically goes to Nero, even though I have it enabled.

4. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

[bold] To use file mode method:
    Look on Menu bar for MODE and click on the word File. Next I want you to
    Click on Tools
    Click on Settings.
    Click on File Mode tab and make sure
    "On Startup" - Select Files - ALL is selected
    Click Okay
    Check Destination - and make a note of where files are being written to (mine is D:\NameOfDVD\Video_TS\ for example)
    Click DVD to HardDrive Icon[/bold]
    [bold] In Shrink
    Insert Blank DVD disk
    Click on Open Files icon
    Navigate to where DVD Decrypter wrote the files
    Select the folder (should be name of DVD)
    Click Okay
    Click on Edit / Preferences / File I/O / and click "Enable Burning with Nero"
    Click on Backup [/bold]
    [bold] This is wrong. Above step corrects this. [/bold]]
    [bold] With "Enable burning to Nero" checked, The bar on top of the window reads "Encoding" then "Burning" and final step a message will show you where a set of Temporary Files that Shrink made to do it's job with. It will mention that you can delete then now if you like.[/bold]
    [bold] Sounds like you used Mode / ISO / Write in Decrypter. Never used this method myself. Just use file method until we get this working. [/bold]

I have no idea why Nero is not being automatically called.

I'll pass that troubleshooting off to someone else who may be seeing the big picture clearer than me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  5. millieann

millieann Member

Hi again LivnDgirl:
    Followed your instructions to the nth degree. Everyting went as you said until the decoding was done with Shrink, then a box came up with the file name and then nothing else happened. Do I need to wait very long for the Nero to kick in? It just doesn't seem to happen and I did check it.
    Next I went manually to Nero, located the files, and I think burned them.
    But the files would not play back on my computer or my dvd player. Get message driver not ready.....
    I also think you should know I was using memorex 8x
    dvd+r disks and have since read that they are not too good and don't always work. Am going to get another brand today and will try that. I was told to get the dvd+r disks and assumed they would work on this computer, so that may be some of my problem. I can access the movie thru the folder on nero showtime, so I know the first part seems to be working. It is just the burning that isn't working. If you have anything to add, let me know, and I will keep you posted. Your instructions were very clear. If you have any for the setup for Nero that would help too.

6. millieann

millieann Member

I am back again with an update. Wasn;t the type of disk, need new dvd burner, so am researching what type to get. looking into an external that I can transport to my other computer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, easy to install dvd burner, for a hp pavilion for reasonable money, nothing fancy, just do the job, mostly for burning dvds and storing photos, etc.

7. millieann

millieann Member

I am back again with an update. Wasn;t the type of disk, need new dvd burner, so am researching what type to get. looking into an external that I can transport to my other computer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, easy to install dvd burner, for a hp pavilion for reasonable money, nothing fancy, just do the job, mostly for burning dvds and storing photos, etc.

8. millieann

millieann Member

I sent a message but it did not go thru the lst time I guess. Anyway, to add to my frustration, I need to purchase a new dvd writer so I could not try out the other disks, so that probably added to my problem. I am looking at an external dvd burner now, and will keep you posted when I make purchase and try this process again. Thanks everyone for your help.

9. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Sorry to hear it was your burner, but glad the mystery is solved.

I love my external LG Super Multi Writer (the model number is in my signature). It was a Christmas gift but I saw it since at a Sam's Club for about $125. It has both USB 2 and Firewire connections. However, I think you can buy two internals of comparable quality for the same price =\

10. stuartgw

stuartgw Member

millieann

just curious, what makes you think you need a new burner? Have you worn it out? The reason I ask - I had problems with mine recently (Philips) that were resolved by a firmware download.

11. millieann

millieann Member

Hi. I am back with again a new problem. Bought the new burner, first time I burned a disk it went thru rather shakey, but by following the manual directions I got it to burn. The 2nd time is another story. I used the file method as suggested, went thru the process, it even went directly to Nero, but the disk is unreadable on my dvd, but seems to play in my computer. Both times I used the same kind of disk. Any ideas?

12. joschez

joschez Regular member

Hey there. What kind of DVD Burner did you buy? I just want to check the specs on that. How was the first movie that you burned? why was it shakey?

13. millieann

millieann Member

Bought an external I/O Magic External USB 2.0 DVD+-RW/+-R 16X. First successful burn was an old movie dvd that I had. I have been trying to burn, previously burned copies and there is the possibility that that may be the problem. The first dvd I burned, I did manually from dvd decrypter, shrink then nero. It didn't automatically go to nero. The second dvd I burned was an old movie and that seemed to work. Maybe I just have to learn more about the settings, I don't know.

14. Digiti

Digiti Member

I had the full Nero 5.5xx with my old burner so switching to OEM Nero Express was a big change for me as well. I have had good success so far using the method as stated: decrypt with dvd decrypter in file mode.. load the video_ts created in Dvd Decrypter into Dvd Shrink.. create a custom folder in c:/ like "xxx movie name shrunk" have it create video_ts and the dummy audio_ts subfolders as well, so you can find them When Shrink is finished. Place a blank dvd recordable in your drive.. Load "Nero Startsmart"..under "Photo and Video" move the slider on the lower left all the way to the right ..choose 'burn dvd video files" .. add files the video_ts and audio_ts created by Shrink in the "shrunk" folder into your compilation then burn. Hopefully that should work for you.

15. joschez

joschez Regular member

Hey there millieann, what other burning software do you have? you should try Alcohol 120%. You could load the ISO image with it and or burn it aswell.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  16. millieann

millieann Member

Thanks for all your input. I think I have finally got it working properly. I use dvd decrypter in the file mode, and select only the files necessary to copy, when this is done I open up shrink and select the files, and when finished analyzing, I choose backup and it decodes and goes right into the burn with Nero. This has been working pretty well for me. Only problem is buying the wrong disks. The ones that work best for me are the verbatim dvd+r 16x. I also have Sony Dvd+r but most of the time they do not have enough room. I have also used 8x dvd-r with some success too. It has taken awhile, but I think I have it. My burner also burns dual layer media, but I haven't looked into that as of yet.

17. joschez

joschez Regular member

Good Job Man!

18. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

The aasiest way to use DVD Shrink and Nero is to Shrink your DVD Title to an ISO Image then either have DVD Shrink launch Nero or as I prefer do it seperately since most times I do more than one title. Nero as an OEM bundle package works as well as the Ultra Edition however you should consider buying the full blown version. Some of you may not know this but there are THREE OEM versions of Nero out there. I received OEM No. 3 with my burner whihc has Nero Reocode included and does the same as DVD Shrink except CSS decrytption. You should be able to launch Nero Express and choose the last item which is to burn an image. From there you will be prompted to choose your image that you made with DVD Shrink. Be carefull on write speed though, Nero detects your media dynamically which means that it reads the MID code on the disc and sets burn speed appropriately. My experience is that if you have a newer DVD writer you can write your DVD with the speed Nero chooses or as I prefer, set it 4x lower than the top speed which the manufacturer rates their disks. Rule of thumb on disks is that if they are 2.4x-4x compatible then 4x is your write speed. If you have 8x discs then go with the 8x speed. If you have 16x discs go with 12x as the write speed. Most newer 16x discs really aren't 16x at all. Consider writing a 4x DVD to be close to writing a CD ROM at 32x. We can only go so fst fols so be carefull otherwise you will end up with bad copies. Be patient, have fun and learn as you go. Above all else DO NOT buy cheap media, all you will end up with is bad copies.

19. Bejay

Bejay Member

I had problems burnig with nero using shrink i had windows service pack 2 there was a add on for nero for this pacl downloaded it then it worked fine..just my little 5 cents worth :)

20. Bejay

Bejay Member

I had problems with shrink an burnning from nero it was that i updated to windows service pack 2 there is a nero add on for this a update i downloaded it nero burned fine again

just my little 5 cents worth