1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Mpeg-2 Files To Play On Your DVD Player And YOU!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ZincAlloy, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ZincAlloy

ZincAlloy Member

FINNALY!!!! I found an EASY WAY TO DO IT!!!!!

www.Videohelp.com/avi2divx.htm

download vitualdub-mpeg2

follow the easy to follow guide! im a beginner and i did it!!! easy as PIE! If i can do it anyone can!!!

thanks guys!!!

Zinc.....

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Since the guide is for converting to MPEG-4, which the overwhelming majority of DVD players won't play, I don't see how it would help most people play anything on their DVD players.

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I haven't tested it yet, but the idea and the software seem very good to me: you can add a subtitle to a MPEG-2 file, instead of converting the input MPEG-2 to MPEG-1 format, first (probably losing quality, very time consuming, blah blah). After that, no one forbids you to make a MPEG-1 with TMPGenc from the output subtitled AVI, isn't it?.
    I appreciated a lot Zinc Alloy's edge, instead.
    Have I lost something in the program's description?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  4. vurbal

I'm not understanding exactly why you would do that I guess. The title for the thread says the final format is supposed to be played on a DVD player, which that guide will not help you do. MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files are the only formats that will play on most DVD players, so I don't see the advantage to doing a conversion to AVI anywhere in the process because every time you re-encode you lose quality. The more conversions you do, the more quality you lose.

If you want to use VirtualDub to add subtitles (or filters or resize or whatever) you can use the built in VFAPI frameserver to send the output directly to many encoders instead of encoding to MPEG-4. If your final format is MPEG-1 this would definitely be a better way to go since you'll probably be using TMPGEnc, which works great with VFAPI. Not to mention that it would be much faster.

Or am I missing something else? Wouldn't be the first time I was dense ;)

5. ZincAlloy

ZincAlloy Member

Dont go by the webpage about the Mpeg-4.. goto it and look at it..

the Mpeg-2 file i wanted to play on my DVD player would burn to my CD but wouldnt play, i had to convert it using virtual-mpeg2 it so NERO would let me burn to play it on the DVD player.. NOW i can play it,it looks good, sounds good. and it only took a couple of minutes to convert it.. Hey... It works, Its easy.. im just trying to help some people with out getting lost in differnt programs trying to burn a SVCD onto disk to play in a DVD player..

Most people on here just wanna be able to burn there mpeg-2 files to play in there DVD players.. thats all I use this program for.

Its Just an option for someone....

Zinc.

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Alas, Directshow doesn't work on my PC (I haven't still understood why) so I'm forced to use Virtualdub, instead. I unstalld any codec that I could see, but it showed only the first of the subtitles contained in the file.

7. vurbal

So are you encoding with Nero then? I did look at the guide and the final format you'll end up with using it is Divx.
    That means it will have to be encoded back to MPEG-2 to make an SVCD from it. Since I'm not familiar with Nero's encoder (beyond the fact that it has one) I won't dispute that it may be a solution for people who encode with that program. If Nero can read VFAPI files I'd still say that's a better solution for the reasons I mentioned in my last post, but if it doesn't, that guide makes more sense for that particular situation.

Having said that, I'd still make a couple of changes (or at least make sure people understand a couple of things). First off, if you have the hard drive space it's generally a better idea to encode to a lossless format like HuffYUV (which you can do with VirtualDub). If you don't have the hard drive space (about 36GB per hour if IIRC) I can see using a lossy format. The other point would be that if you're encoding the audio to MP3 you're also losing audio quality multiple times. If you start with an MPEG-2 file it most likely has MPA or AC3 audio (both lossy already). If you convert to MP3 you'll lose quality, and since MP3 isn't a valid format for SVCD it will get converted to MPA, which will cost you even more quality.

I guess my original point was that the original post seemed to say that you can use VirtualDub-MPEG2 with that guide to produce output that will play on your standalone DVD player, and unless you have a standalone that plays MPEG-4 files it won't.

8. vurbal

I can relate to that. I've had my share of DirectX problems. The last time I had them I was lucky because just reinstalling the latest DirectX fixed it, but obviously that doesn't always (or maybe usually) work.

9. ZincAlloy

ZincAlloy Member

Like i said im a newbie, and i dont know much about this format and that format. I had just been looking for a way for about 2 months to play these on my DVD player on the big screen.. I know about drops in quality by converting, but i didnt see any,or that i could tell. but even if it did drop some, i didnt care, as long as the video was still decent. Could be a quick fix for someone.

Just trying to help...
    Zinc.

10. vurbal

Don't get me wrong. People who want to help are always welcome, but it's important to be clear about the entire process. If, for example, someone like me who uses RecordNow Max instead of Nero were to use that guide they'd still need to use an SVCD authoring app before burning because unlike Nero RecordNow doesn't author SVCDs (at least my older version doesn't). OTOH for others who have had the same problems as you this may be just the sort of thing they need.

Since you've mentioned that you're using this before Nero I'd say it's been taken care of. Hopefully we've all learned something ;)

11. ZincAlloy

ZincAlloy Member

Nero wont burn mpeg-2 files... thats why i use virtual-mpeg2 and convert them to where nero will burn them to CD..

12. vurbal

One of us is clearly not understaning what's going on here. SVCD video is MPEG-2. VCD video is MPEG-1. Those are the only kinds of video encoding a standard DVD player can read. In other words, if you're giving Nero Divx files (which is what following that guide will give you) and Nero is giving you an SVCD, it's encoding to MPEG-2 in between.

There are a number of possible reasons why Nero might be having problems with accepting MPEG-2 encoded input files, and since I've never encoded with it I don't want to do too much speculating and confuse the issue further. However, I can say for sure that if you're starting out with Divx files and ending up with an SVCD there have to be 2 things happening in between. The video has to be converted to an MPEG-2 file and then the MPEG-2 file has to be authored to the appropriate SVCD files and folders. In other words, Nero is doing more than just burning. It's encoding and authoring as well. If it's not doing those things you have a DVD player that plays MPEG-4 files, which is not what most people have.

13. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I admit I'm a newbie in this stuff, because my method is more plain (even if, as I wrote, is "100% working"):

1) create a Video-CD MPEG (-1 or -2) a) encoding my input movie (if it's an .AVI or an MPEG-1) with TMPGenc or b1) encoding the input MPEG-2 to a M1V video file first (with MainConcept Encoder because I'm not satisfied of the ouput quality of TMPGenc'2 M2V plugin, maybe I installed/use it bady) and after that b2) going back to TMPGenc's step.
    2) make a (S)VCD with VCDGear/VCDEasy + any burning software

I only have a question: TMPGenc forces me to make 352x240(288) VCDs and 480x480(576) for SVCD NTSC(PAL).
    A litte bit better [328x240 (180' of KVCD movie on a CD), 352x480 (120' on a CD), 704x480 (90' on a CD), or 528x480 (90' on a CD), 352x480 (120' of KSVCD movie on a CD) or 528x480 (90' on a CD)] for K(S)VCDs NTSC.

Sometime I've seen some MPEG-2 files with a different resolution (e.g. 640x480)!

Does this mean that maybe Nero is able to encode (S)VCDs with different risolution than the TMPGenc's standard ones?

So I could make with Nero (S)VCDs better then 480x480 without any strange plugin and just in 1 step? And what's the limit resolution for a (S)VCD made this way?

14. vurbal

I'm not real good with TMPGEnc (more familiar than I am with Nero), but I think the difference may be whether you use the wizards or not. I believe the VCD and SVCD wizards are very strict regarding standards compliance, so you have to make a "generic" MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 file with the correct specs to use non-standard resolutions or bitrates. I would guess that Nero is just as picky as TMPGEnc's wizards, but I won't claim to know that.

15. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I have 2 questions for you, now:

1) I have read thet the DirectShow plugin works only on compressed (e.g. AVI) movies. Does this mean that on MPG movis you cannot put subtitles with TMPGenc + that plugin (and, in this case, you're forced to use Virtualdub)?

2) I have been reported that KVCDs are more ugly than VCDs. Is it true or maybe it's just a question of 'motion seach precision' when you encode the KVCD movie?

16. vurbal

Subtitles need to be added after encoding unless you want them to be encoded as part of the video stream. If you did want to do that your best bet would probably be to use AviSynth to frameserve to TMPGEnc because I think it has a filter that can read subtitles and add them to the video (maybe a plugin). This, of course, would mean you couldn't turn them off.

I found a page with a guide for adding selectable subtitles to an SVCD MPEG:
    http://divxstation.com/article.asp?aId=90

These links will take you to download pages for the software used in the guide:
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=MaestroSBT
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/subtitle_tools/subadjust.cfm
    http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/winsubmux.html

I haven't used the guide myself, so I don't know how good it is, but since the tools are free I figure it's at least worth trying out if that's what you want.

17. polsantos

polsantos Member

Sorry for my ignorance guys, I'm just planning to buy a DVD burner...

What if the Divex videos I have downloaded already have subtitles, will they be removed when I convert or encode the files to other formats?