1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Mpeg Movie

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by felix1000, Dec 29, 2004.

1. felix1000

felix1000 Member

I have managed to convert a movie from AVI to MPEG. The size is now just under 3mg. I am trying to burn this onto a blank DVD to play in my DVD player using Nero, however it only seems to copy the first half hour. When i look at the disc in explorer it says there is noting on it but in the dvd player the first half hour plays then it goes back to the menu.

Any Ideas?

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Fist of all, stusy, dtudy, study: from http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/ you'll see that kmaking a DVD is not simply 'convert an AVI to MPE and burn'. More, making a DVD is rather difficult. Making a Video CD easier (see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/110106).
    My opinion is; if the basic movie is good, make a DVD. If the AVI is fair make 1 or 2 CDs (80' = 1 CD).
    If the quality is fair you can also make a KVCD (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/124272) where 120' = 1 CD. Stuty a lot and choose the best settings for you.
    My opinion is: making a DVD doesn't improve quality of your movie, it just doesn't worsen it, IF it was high. Garbage in, garbage out. In this case a CD is cheaper and simper. You decide ...

3. felix1000

felix1000 Member

i just want to be able to play it on mydvd player which plays mpeg/vcd. the file is 760mb as avi so wont go on a cdr and 3Gb when converted to mpeg.

The file is MPEG my DVD plays MPEG why cant i just put the file on a disc and play it.

4. JMWalker

JMWalker Member

I've transferred a bunch of vhs tapes directly to dvd using the sansui recorder. it's in the video ts format. i've transferred the dvd's to a hard drive. i'd like to convert the file to a standard mpeg so it can be edited. i've got the nero ultra edition. it converts to the mpeg-4. is this ok? any other suggestions?

5. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Felix,
    Some software options to convert MPEG2 to VOBs are:
    TMPGEnc DVD Author
    Nero Vision Express
    DVD Lab

JMWalker,
    Convert from VOBs (in the video_ts folder) to AVI (DVD2AVI program will do this) and then edit. Once finished convert back.

Have a look in the guides...search the forum... www.videohelp.com is another good source of info.

Adder.