1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning mpeg video clips as videocd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by homo123, Dec 29, 2003.

1. homo123

homo123 Member

as you may know, dear users, there are available plenty of video clips to download from the internet. yes, i have downloaded some and now i want to burn them as video cd. all clips ar mpeg. when i try to add them to video cd compilation in nero 6 or winoncd program says that there is required reencoding to mpeg format. why? clips are already in mpeg format!!! why do i have to reencode them? how do i avoid this problem?

2. stardust

stardust Regular member

Your mpegs are not a VCD compliant ones and they need to be re-encoded to VideoCD PAL/NTSC specs, that they can be played on almost all DVD Players, DVD-ROMs or CD-ROMs.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
  3. homo123

homo123 Member

yes, i know that. after a little investigation i figured out that some of them have higher sample rate or higher video bitrate than specified in video cd specification. however i have managed to burn those clips without re-encoding and been able to play them on standard dvd stand-alone player. the trick is to burn xvcd/xsvcd. i made such cd with nero 6. choose super video cd template and when nero reports that files are not svcd standard compliant choose to override specification and continue. the only problem was with files that had too high bitrate - above 1800000 b/s - sound was ok but i had freezed and unusable image (just digital noise - a lot of squares). the highest bitrate i managed to play normally was 1620000 b/s. but i guess it's dvd player dependant (i have crappy one).

4. homo123

homo123 Member

yes, i know that. after a little investigation i figured out that some of them have higher sample rate or higher video bitrate than specified in video cd specification. however i have managed to burn those clips without re-encoding and been able to play them on standard dvd stand-alone player. the trick is to burn xvcd/xsvcd. i made such cd with nero 6. choose super video cd template and when nero reports that files are not svcd standard compliant choose to override specification and continue. the only problem was with files that had too high bitrate - above 1800000 b/s - sound was ok but i had freezed and unusable image (just digital noise - a lot of squares). the highest bitrate i managed to play normally was 1620000 b/s. but i guess it's dvd player dependant (i have crappy one).