1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning multiple AVIs onto a DVD

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by KJM37, Jan 23, 2007.

1. KJM37

KJM37 Member

Just wondering if it is possible to burn around 4 avis onto a dvd? I tried ConvertXtodvd but could only get two on (This is for viewing on a DVD player and not data disc btw)

2. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

How big are each of these AVI's?

3. m4nv33r

m4nv33r Member

if your burning something like 20min shows

make a vcd then you can have 4 on a 80min disc

4. KJM37

KJM37 Member

700-800 MB AVI's

5. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

A DVD holds 4.7GB and you usually don't want to squeeze much more than 4GB onto one (depending on Menu, extras, etc.) When you get all your files you want to burn Check the total size of all the files. Most DVD Burning/Authoring software tells you how much space is left on disc (usually in a graphic bar)

Since you are encoding the videos before hand (like you should) it you should try adjusting CBR/VBR (Constant Bitrate/Variable bitrate)

Usually a 1 or 2 pass VBR cuts down on file size, you can also adjust the Average/Max/& Minimum bitrate.
    When trying to keep filesize down I usually use 4,500 Max bitrate.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  6. KJM37

KJM37 Member

Do the videos expand? I don't understand how after putting two AVI's onto a DVD using ConvertX and the dvd is full

7. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Because AVI's are a different format (i.e compression) from what a DVD uses (MP2/M2V), Whenever you "burn an AVI" whatever burning software you are using is converting the avi to an m2v, unless of course you're burning the DVD as a data disc.

8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

The size of the original AVI is irrelevant, when converting to DVD only the running time matters. If I take a 90 minute movie and convert to AVI (Xvid), depending on the quality I want it can range in size from 600MB to 1.4GB+. When converting to DVD a video bitrate of about 6500 kb/s will fill the disc (for 90 minutes), whether I use the 600MB or the 1.4GB 90 minute AVI the result is the same.