1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Multiple Files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by FrostDJ, Dec 29, 2004.

1. FrostDJ

FrostDJ Guest

Hi Guys,

Got a Samsung Writemaster Dual Layer DVD +/-/R/RW For christmas and am having a few problems trying to burn a dvd.

I am using nerovision Express and I tried following the guides in this link (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/115867)

I basically have 6 files I want on DVD, all 45 mins each, wanted to keep the quality so I went with having 3 files on each on Extended Play. Now I made a menu etc got all the way to the end where it tells me it will take 18hrs + to burn this dvd... what am I doing wrong?

I am Using Laser DVD-R 8x Media, 120 mins.

Should i be only putting 120 mins of movie onto this thing? (am off to try it as I type this).

2. FrostDJ

FrostDJ Guest

Wey Hey, now im down to 15 hours.. (only burning 2 files tho)

Im gonna let this run but please help as i dont want to be waiting over half a day with an 8x dvd burner.

3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Let's start with the usual stuff, like PC specs?
    Have you checked to see if you're drive is in PIO or DMA?

4. FrostDJ

FrostDJ Guest

Hi Zippy D,

Its in DMA mode, I have a pentium 4 1.5 with 384 meg ram.

5. zippyd

zippyd Active member

384 megs is a bit low but I don't see how it could take 15 hours.
    I know you've checked DMA, but did you check through windows or use Nero Info Tool?
    Windows will often say DMA if available but that doesn't necesarilly mean that the current setting is DMA.

Other that, I'm stumped. I thought for sure it would be a DMA issue. The only other things I can tell you are to make sure to shut down all nonessential programs running in the background(virus,firewall,and whatever else might be in startup) to free up all the RAM that you can get.

6. FrostDJ

FrostDJ Guest

I could always upgrade my ram no problem, I just thought that it wouldnt be that issue.

I looked for DMA using windows, Will use nero info tool and look into it!

WOuld it have anything to do with the Codecs im using etc, My videos seem to be all green and scrambled now I upgraded my Xvid Codec, could that be the issue? Nero is trying to decode the xvids??

Thanks for your help btw Zippyd

7. FrostDJ

FrostDJ Guest

Not sure if this could be a problem.... When nero says its starting to burn and says its going to take 15 hours etc, I can still eject the disc, now when I was burning with my CD Burner, I couldnt do that?!

8. FrostDJ

FrostDJ Guest

checked Nero Info toolkit as suggested,

DMA is on.

?? Not sure what to do now? Updating my drivers for xvid codec... may try another program. Anyone got any other ideas?

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Should i be only putting 120 mins of movie onto this thing?

Yes, also, are you checking the "burn at once" option before you start the process? That lets it burn directly to disc without writing to your HD 1st. Since you have already checked your video with the software remote to make sure it's working properly and to your liking, there's no need to write to your HD. This will speed things up considerably.

As far as over 120 minutes, NVE 3 is a file converter, authoring, and burning app. Altho it will compress it doesn't do a great job and takes forever. Anytime I have to compress my video, I always write to my hard drive, then open Recode or Shrink, and let them compress my video from the NVE finished files. They do a much better and faster job. Both have new quality enhancements for files over 4.37. You'll find it's much faster and much better quality.

BTW, it will take NVE a little longer to write to your HD than to use "burn at once", but is still much faster than letting it compress your files first.

Here is a quickie NVE 3 guide I wrote that may be of some assistance:

http://www.zentarium.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43

10. FrostDJ

FrostDJ Guest

Hi Bigorange, thanks for your help will give it a go.

Just tried burning one file onto a dvd, 43 mins long etc and it took 39 mins. It was a total of 1.13 on the dvd, but the picture didnt work. I put that down to my codecs nad have fixed that problem. AM about to try again, Just put 3 files on the disc and it said it would take 4 hours. (much better than the 15 hours it said yesterday but still very long).

I think this may be due to the fact 3 files at 43-45 mins is over the 120 mins barrier i set.. so Im about to retry this one. Will post how I go.

The problem with nero vision was it kept setting my burner to MAX speed but then burnt at 1 x or osmething and thats why it was buring over 15 hours.

*Edit*

I do have it set on Long play meaning it should take 180 mins so I dont know why it is asking to be 4 hours.. or is this normal?! this is at 16x now?!?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2004
  11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I recommend NEVER burning over 4x. Also Long play means you are compressing. Again, I don't recommend compressing that much with NVE. Also, you didn't say, are you using the "burn at once" feature or not?

12. FrostDJ

FrostDJ Guest

yes I am burning disc at once.

Ok, so keep it at standard 120 mins.

Thanks for your help mate! Ill give it a shot!

13. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Thanks for the assist bigorange. I should've known better than to try to figure out something dealing with Nero.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Nonsense! You were fine,(DMA is usually my 1st guess too) ;>)

15. FrostDJ

FrostDJ Guest

Cheers guys, Burnt one dvd last night it took 3 hours but worked.

Just tried again with anothe rtwo files same settings and it was going to take 3 hours but then it stuffed up on the 2nd file.

Can you guys reccommend anyhing besides nero then?

Have followed the guide on XVID/AVI to DVD but have problems with TMPGENC but thats another story.

Is 3 hours about right?!?

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

3 hours is about right, of course everything depends on file size and format. Remember a lot of conversion apps can take that long or longer just to convert, much less encode and burn too.

17. FrostDJ

FrostDJ Guest

OK Cool thanks for your help guys! Much a ppreciated. Will start working on burning my xvids to dvds now... thanks a million!