1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning multiple home movies to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mshick, Dec 19, 2007.

1. mshick

mshick Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm new to this. Question, I can download my home movies(mpeg) then create a video clip on a dvd-r that I can watch on my dvd player. When I go back to burn another clip on the same dvd, it tells me to insert a recordable disk. It seems like the disk is getting auto finalized or something. I put a tiny clip on then when I check how much disk space is available it show 0. I tried dvd-r's.

Please help

Thanks
    mike

2. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

mshick,
    It's not feasible to do multi-sessions on this type of media regardless of how big or small the datum written in them is. You need a DVD-RW or DVD+RW media.

3. mshick

mshick Member

Pyrme,
    Thanks for the reply. I will try the dvd+rw and let you know. Thanks again.

Mike

4. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

mshick,
    You're welcome. But before you buy those DVD+RWs make sure your burner drive has this capability.

5. mshick

mshick Member

Yes I think it does. It says on the outside "lightscribe dvd supermulti drive/cd-writer".
    I will let you know when I try it.

Mike

6. mshick

mshick Member

OK, I burned a clip to the dvd+rw. I played it in my dvd player and all was fine. Then I tried burning another clip using the same process above and here is what I got: there is data on this disk, if you continue to burn it will erase the data. Somethng like that. In other words it will not let me burn the second clip unless I erase the first clip. Please help!!

Mike

7. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

What software do you use to burn?

8. mshick

mshick Member

Running vista fist off. I'm using the Sony handycam software that came with the new sony hard drive camcorder. I do have a program called Moavi video suite. Also have roxio and of course windows movie maker.

Thanks
    Mike

9. mshick

mshick Member

see post above. Got the same message on the second burn with the Moavi program. still trying...

Mike

10. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

I'm not familiar with this program. But since you have Roxio, then you can use Drag-to-Disc. Just move files to your Drag-to-Disc disc in the same way that you use your hard drive or a floppy disk.

11. mshick

mshick Member

I can but they will not be read by my home dvd player. There is not authoring etc... so when I put the disk in the dvd player it errors out.

12. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

mshick,
    The data contained in your media (DVD+RW)is in Uiversal Disk Format or UDF. This is a Windows-only program although it's now also accepted by all other popular OSs. In other words, you can only play/view these data in your computer.

13. mshick

mshick Member

PH, OK so why does it let me view the first clip on my home dvd but I can not add to. Sorry, I'm confused. Thanks for your help on this.

Mike

14. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

If it works on your stand-alone DVD player, then this means that the media is finalized. Otherwise, it would err out. You cannot append to a finalized disc. If it's a rewriteable media, then it needs to be reformatted if there is an existing data within prior to re-using.
    Let me just be clear: If all you want is to store files and continue adding on more files to be accessed, viewed or played on your PC, then this is doable. Otherwise, you would have to reformat (erase) data contained in your DVD+RW to reuse it.

Have you considered compiling these videos onto a single medium instead of packet-writing?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  15. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

mshick

when i do my home movies i make the whole dvd in nero vision first then you can see the size and add more to it before burn.or save file to edit add or delete as needed.
    i use dvd-rw also and never been able to add to a dvd with pc. you have to rewrite all the info at one time
    on the stand one player/recorder you can i have done it there.it tells you when the disc is full.
    thats if i am remembering it correctly.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007