1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning photos to CDs

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by kathys321, Jun 3, 2004.

1. kathys321

kathys321 Member

My boyfriend and I both took photos on our digital cameras. I spent hours renaming and numbering the intertwined photos in a particular order....1,2,3 thru 110. Now when I tried to copy them onto a CD, the programs all change the numbering....all the 1's (1,10,11,100,101,...then the 2's). This is not the order I want them in and can't figure out how to make it keep them in numerical order. I'm not a computer genius but I'm not incapable either. Help!! Thanks.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

If you have a DVD player, my suggestion is to make a VCD. I personally use VCDEasy, but some people preferes VCDGear (which I don't know).

You need a tool (Tools, 1st coulumn) which converts the .JPG/.BMP... files to 'MPEG stills': it converts the photo in a still movie (1 landscape, set at 'wait infinite' when the 'movie' end).

You just choose, at first, the input image (1st line, push 'browse'). By default 'output folder' and 'image name' should be chosen properly by VCDEasy. You have just, after the choice of the image, to press the right-bottom button 'generate'.

After, you build your VCD pressing 1st button of the right column '(S)VCD' and pressing 'add files' for each photo you want to add. Wait or the MPEG being scanned, for stills it's very fast.

At the end, if your burner supports CDRDAO (check VCDeasy site) you can directly write the CD (choose properly 'CD Writer' in the 2nd line of the main window otherwise you will create a CD image set (choose as CD Writer, in the 2nd line ad before: 'CD Image File Recorder'), a .CUE/.BIN couple of files, where you prefere (choose - remeber - the path in the "CD FILES" box) which you can burn with the application you prefere (CDRWin, Nero, Alcohol 120%...). Do NOT buiild directly VCDs from .JPGs with Nero (it's buggy).
    Got it?
    Go to (S)VCD forum for any problem, they are more competent than me.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

kathys321, try putting them in alphabetical order.

4. flip218

or start the sequence 0001-0110

5. flip218

he,he.. sorry I should have put all of these in one post. You can also put a word before numbering 1-110. or a letter a1-a110. This way it will read the a first then the order.

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

A couple suggestions:

Solution 01
    1. Grab the TweakUI pack from Micrsoft (http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe )
    2. Install it and then fire it up.
    3. Goto the Explorer section on the left hand side
    4. On the right hand side, way at the bottom, check the box that says "Use Intuitive File Sorting"
    5. Restart and that may do the trick.

Solution 02
    1. Grab IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/ )
    2. Install it and then fire it up
    3. Press B to open up the Batch Conversion window.
    4. Navigate to the folder where the files are. Select all the ones that need to be renamed and add them using either the Add or Add All button on the left
    5A. Near the bottom, in the section labeled "Work As", select "Batch Rename" this enabled a box at the very bottom labeled Name Pattern, fill it with #######
    5B. You want to take the advise flip218 gave in post 5, fill that box with A#######
    6. Change the output directory to something different than the source directory so it doesnt overwrite the original (or make a backup of the original in case things dont work out). Press Start to rename all those files numerically

Solution 03
    This one isnt pretty: go in and rename all the files by hand.

7. kathys321

kathys321 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I did name them all "SoCal1, SoCal2," etc. I'll try the "0" in front of the numbers first and if that doesn't work then I'll try the "a"....wouldn't you think all these computer programmers could come up with an easy way to sequence things??? :) Thanks, again. I'll let you know if it works

8. flip218

kathys321, might wanna name them SoCal0001-SoCal0110
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro

Gateway 450, Pentium III 450MHz
    384 MB SDRAM, 160GB HD
    NEC 2100A, LiteOn LTD-163 DVD-ROM
    XP Home, 16MB nVidia RIVA TNT[/small]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  9. kathys321

kathys321 Member

flip218...You're a genius! It worked! I numbered them all with leading zeros and it copied them in the order I wanted. I KNEW someone would have an answer. Thank you for your help!!!

10. flip218

ahh great news. And if you wanna make a video slide show, just a heads up Nero Vision Express is great and simple to use.

11. Praetor

Just make sure you also save your project before you try to burn with NVE as it has a nasty way of crashing when you start to burn :(

12. kathys321

kathys321 Member

Thank you all for your advice! I'll keep this site bookmarked in case I need more help.....this is much easier than fighting help lines and emails back and forth with different people. You're the best, keep up the good work!

Kathy S

13. Praetor

Glad we could help! :)

14. Ronrice

Ronrice Member

nero is a good program for photo cds