1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning questions... DVD Decrypter, DVD-R vs. DVD+R, UDF vs. ISO9660...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by GeoDude, Nov 14, 2004.

1. GeoDude

GeoDude Guest

DVD Decrypter, DVD-R vs. DVD+R, and UDF vs. ISO9660... PC, Mac, and Phillips DVD player...

[bold]My Initial Experience with DVD Decrypter... newbie burning a few coasters here, help?![/bold]

1. I wanted to make one backup of a typical 4GB DVD Movie that I own, and play that backup [bold]on my DVD player, or on my PC, or on my Mac.[/bold]

2. [bold]My system:[/bold]
    I have Windows 2000 Pro SP4, on a
    4-yr old Compaq Presario, 450 MHz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!,
    1MB cache, 192MB RAM, Board: Compaq 05E4h,
    Bus Clock: 100 MHz, BIOS: Compaq 686U2 04/26/99;

4x DVD +- RW DVDRW IDE1008, Brand name: Emprex DVD Dual 8x DVD+-R DVD+-RW CD writer.

60 GB free space on 120 GB hard drive, and a few different brands of 4x DVD+R and DVD-R disks handy.

Brand new Phillps DVD player DVP-643 advertised to support all current formats, DVD, VCD, SVCD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD, MP3, JPEG, MPEG-4, DivX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x. (Note: DVD-R is not on the list, but not excluded.)

3. Downloaded DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0 on 11/13/04, and installed it.

4. I've noticed before that my DVD burner will not perform reliably at 4x, so I usually select 2x for burning, and have no problems with Roxio CD Creator burning some other DVDs at 2x... also, I make sure NOTHING else is running when I am burning DVDs.

5. I used DVD Decrypter "R" function to copy from DVD to hard drive. I have a small .MDS and a big .ISO file on my hard drive now.

6. I used DVD Decrypter "W" function to copy from hard drive to blank DVD media, and tried both a DVD-R and a DVD+R at 2x to test. Neither of these would play on the Mac, and the DVD-R would not play on my new Phillips DVD player. They both play OK on the PC in the drive where they were burned.

7. [bold]After burning 6 DVDs, the result I have is this: Burning at 1x on DVD+R works great for my Phillips DVD player; and burning at 1x using DVD-R does NOT. DVD+R does NOT seem to work on my Mac, only DVD-R and ISO9660 does.[/bold]

8. As an experiment, I copied the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories to my hard drive from one of the DVDs burned by DVD Decrypter. Then, using Roxio "Disc Creator Classic," I burned those onto an ISO9660 using blank DVD-R and RVD+R media. The DVD-R played perfectly on my Mac! But, none of the DVD-R I have made will play on the Phillips DVD player.

9. SO, the Mac laptop with MacOS 9.2.2 and Apple DVD player will play DVD+R that I burned, but only with ISO9660, not UDF format. MacOS 9.2.2 does not seem to like any of the UDF disks burned by DVD Decrypter! (Mac OS won't even mount them, so I cannot look at the directories or anything!)

10. Out of 9 DVDs burned, I have 3 coasters, and the rest will play either on my PC, my DVD player, or my Mac. OF the 6 remaining, ALL will play on my PC with PowerDVD, NONE will play on BOTH Mac and DVD player (DVD-R vs. DVD+R???)

Can anyone offer answers or hints about these QUESTIONS?

[bold]1. Can I burn ISO9660 format using DVD Decrypter, or only UDF? My Mac does not like UDF, but will play ISO9660 fine with Apple DVD Player. I cannot find out where to select ISO9660 for my destination DVD if the original DVD was UDF. How can this be done?[/bold]

2. [bold]Roxio Easy CD Creator cannot read the ISO image written on my hard drive by DVD Decrypter... is that normal? [/bold] Is the ISO format unique to DVD Decrypter? If not, what other burners that can read it? Roxio Easy CD Creator (DVD mode) will copy the DVDs that I burned on the PC and burn an ISO9660 DVD-R that my Mac PowerBook can read OK. I do not want to burn with DVD Decrypter and copy back to hard drive so I can burn ISO9660 for Mac.

3. [bold]Is it normal for a DVD player to play DVD+R but not DVD-R? [/bold](Phillips DVP642, brand new, claims to play DVD, VCD, SVCD, MP3, CD-RW, CD-R, JPEG, MPEG-4, and DivX.) I may have to exchange it for one that can play DVD-R.

4. [bold]Is it normal for a Mac PowerBook G3/500 FireWire (aka PB 2000, Pismo) to play DVD-R but not DVD+R? [/bold]

According to a reliable source:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3

...almost any DVD player should be able to play both DVD+R and DVD-R, but there are differences between DVD disc media manufacturers...

5. What do you say about #4, is DVD-R and DVD+R media highly compatible, once recorded? [bold]Is the manufacturer more important than the DVD +/- R type, in your experience? [/bold]

6. Do many DVD-players read both DVD+R and DVD-R media, or is one more prevalent than the other?

7. Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2004
  2. kellyman

kellyman Member

When I use dvd decrypter i use the file method instead of R. If u want just the movie then dvd decrypter will select the main movie files but if u want the whole disc then select all. I then use DVD2ONE to shrink it to about 4.1GB and burn with Nero. Works everytime for me. I tried using R and then W but it never worked right.

3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

That pretty much tells me that you're not going to get that player to play a -R disc. Generally speaking, if it supports both the + and - formats, the manufacturer will include both in the list of supported formats. They aren't that cheap to try and save a little ink by leaving them out.
    Other than that, I really wouldn't know what to recommend. I'm thoroughly impressed that you can get a system with such limited processor and RAM to succesfully copy DVDs. Video processing is very CPU intensive.

4. GeoDude

GeoDude Guest

Thanks for the comments... still needing help on these:

Can anyone offer answers or hints about these QUESTIONS?

1. Can I burn ISO9660 format DVDs using DVD Decrypter, or only UDF? My Mac PowerBook does not seem to like any UDFs burned via DVD Decrypter, but Apple DVD Player can read ISO9660 DVDs that I burned via [bold]Roxio[/bold]. How can I select ISO9660-mode burning with DVD Decrypter? I'd like to be able to burn DVDs for my Mac.

2. Roxio Easy CD Creator cannot read any ISO images written on my hard drive by DVD Decrypter... is that normal? Is the hard drive ISO file format unique to DVD Decrypter? If not, what other burners that can read it?

Roxio Easy CD Creator (DVD mode) can read the DVDs (ones that I've burned on the PC via DVD Decrypter) and then burn an ISO9660 DVD-R that my Mac PowerBook can read OK. However; I do not want to rip, then burn with DVD Decrypter, just to copy back to hard drive so I can burn ISO9660 via Roxio for Mac...

3. What is DVD Decrypter FILE mode? Can I write ISO9660 DVDs with that? Can I convert the DVD Decryptor ISO hard drive file image to ordinary directories and files, using DVD Decryptor? (I will try that next if it makes sense...)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2004
  5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

That pretty much tells me that you're not going to get that player to play a -R disc.

The Philips DVP 642 will play all formats including +,-,R,RW,mpeg, and Divx.

6. GeoDude

GeoDude Guest

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]What is DVD Decrypter FILE mode?[/bold]

Decrypter rips in 3 modes, file, IFO, and ISO. It only writes in one mode, ISO.

If you are going to rip and write with decrypter, and you have no editing or compressing to do, then use read and write in ISO.

If you are going to rip only with decrypter and then use another app to edit, compress, etc. then use file mode and rip to your hard drive.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]I guess I should keep trying different media till I find a DVD-R that works???[/bold]

What media are you using? Media is EXTREMELY important!!! I can't stress this enough, it's the difference between a successful burn or a coaster. It's not just a quality issue.

I use Ritek G04 or G05 -R or Ritek Ridata 4x +R. Make sure they are BRANDED and never burn over 4x. here's a good place to get them for under .50 each w/free shipping, they are an excellent company with a very good return policy:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/ritek-g04-dvd-r-dvde-blank-media-disc-discs.html

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It looks like you are using decrypter and Roxio. You can't use decrypter if the files exceed 4.37 gigs(over 80-90% of all movies do), you need another app to compress and/or edit with before you burn. This is probably one reason of many why you're not having success.

I think roxio is crap IMHO, and is known to cause problems with other DVD software. I would remove it and get DVD Shrink 3.2(free) and it works hand in hand with decrypter. Roxio is hard to remove, it likes to leave remnants which will still cause problems. Use this tool to completetly remove Roxio.

http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

here is the shrink link:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/downloads.php

There are guides with shrink in the help section, or if you need it I have a simple one i wrote you can have.

One final note, I agree w/zippy that your system isn't exactly designed for DVD work, but try shrink and decrypter and see what happens, they are both free and you have nothing to lose. I would also get a RW disc to cut down on coasters til you get it going :>)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  10. zippyd

zippyd Active member

OK I just went off what was posted, I do apoligize for my mistake.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

zippyd

LOL, the only reason I know is I have that player. BTW, for anyone looking it's a great deal-65.00 at WalMart and it's bios can be upgraded with a CD downloaded off the net. It also has some handy features like zoom, etc. and I don't know many that will play mpeg and Divx too :>)

12. zippyd

zippyd Active member

LMFAO...

Would you believe that I own the same player? I honestly didn't even think about it. I even forgot what brand it was. I was re reading the post and a little light went on up there in the ol' brain cavity. I said to myself..."Self! Your player can play all those formats. What kind is it?" So I took a peek and felt kind of silly. I haven't even read the manual on it yet( even though I bought it about a month ago).
    Is that link for the bios download in the manual? I need to do some reading....

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Now I'm LMFAO!!!

If it makes ya feel any better I've pulled some stunts along the same lines myself before ;>)

BTW, I believe you can get that link at the homepage, I haven't tried it, I just knew you could from reading about it before I bought it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004