1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning Sims 2

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by rluk23, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

No problem buddy. The first thing you need to do is forget Nero - it can't reproduce the copy protections that games use.

First off backing up a PC game is very different than movies because instead of stripping out the protection we need to read it then write it back to the disc and both need to be done very accurately because when you pop in the play disc and hit 'run' the protection in the installed game files on your PC is going to take a good hard look at the disc in your drive to make sure it's an original. Obviously if your copy isn't good enough the game won't run.

Now what you need to get are two apps:

One is A-Ray Scanner and it's a tool everyone should have in their bag of tricks because it will scan the play disc and tell you what protection and what version of said protection the game uses. This is important because there are different protections and each one requires different settings for a successful copy. Sims 2 should use some version of SafeDisc and that's what A-Ray should tell you followed by a series of numbers which is the version of SafeDisc being used. Be sure to post what version your disc uses. Here's a link to A-Ray Scanner:

http://www.aray-software.com/index.php?s=e9f6b93c2e60d4c8a7af38be5c7e4ef6&showforum=7

The second piece of software that you need is Alcohol 120%. A120 is an app that was specifically made to deal with PC protections. Here's the link for it:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/alcohol120.cfm

Now the next piece of information I need is what make/model burner(s) you have. In order to make an accurate copy of a PC game your burner must be able to write EFM correctly.

Get back to me with the info I asked for and we'll take it from there :)

2. xShOrTeEx

xShOrTeEx Member

wow. hm. im not sure bout thsi anymore. is this the only way? thanks for the help. i guess ill just find another way. thanks anyways

3. Nephilim

Yep, it's the only way. The game companies have gone to great lengths to ensure that not just anybody can copy the games.

4. xShOrTeEx

xShOrTeEx Member

i change my mind! im going to download these programs. . then ill need mucho help!

uh .. i have one question .. is this illegal? [well duh.] but what about these programs? im just kinda worried. . never burned before. first time!!

oh yea . im not sure about what model burner i have. its just in my computer. uh . .iits a dvd multi recorder and a comapct disc rewritable [if that helps at all ..]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  5. Nephilim

Nobody's going to kick in your door and drag you off to jail for making a personal backup of a game you own. To make a long story short you have every right to make a personal backup of your legally purchased media but according to the DMCA it's illegal to bypass copy protection.

To find out the make/model burner you have we can use Nero Info Tool. Get it installed then open it up and look for the drop down (at the very top left) which will list all your optical drives :)

6. Nephilim

7. xShOrTeEx

xShOrTeEx Member

okay! got it donee .. uh .. optical drive? i think .. uh .. F?
    its says [0.0] F:\HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4190B
    anything else i need?

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Your comments are a bit rude and I'm half tempted to take you out of your misery and I mean that in a polite way so next time you post be more courteous to forum members.

9. Nephilim

Though I may be wrong, I don't believe your LG is EFM capable so your options are going to be either making a mini image as per the thread I linked to earlier or to use A120's emulation options. I've never used the emulation options in A120 so I'm afraid I can't be of much use there but either Shoey or geestar20 can tell you exactly what you need to do :)

10. Nephilim

camstuf

Somehow I missed your last post until now and that was the last draw for me. I've warned you several times in the past for linking to cracks and now that you decided to belittle a member who did nothing to you you're stay here is over.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  11. xShOrTeEx

xShOrTeEx Member

uh .. i finally got it done! thanks!

12. shib

shib Member

Ive got a problem burning sims 2 with Nero, it keeps coming up with an read error message. I just installed CloneCD and trying to burn it with that. Cld anyone help me step-by-step with it? im confused with all the posts. how long does it take to burn? just curious Thanks

13. shib

shib Member

Hi. I managed to make a backup copy of the game, but how do I run the game without using CloneCD?

14. Nephilim

If you have anything less than a 1:1 copy you'll need CloneCD installed to help it run.

15. frexel

frexel Member

Hello (excuseme because i´m not english or american, i´m from argentina, so my english is not very good) I need a lot of information about the sims 2, I can play the game, and it runs perfectly, but the build mode doesn´t so, What can i do for it? if someone knows please tell me. I tried a lot of things which appears on the internet but i couldn´t make it run. Please help and thanks a lot

16. jam265

jam265 Member

Okay, I'm one lazy newbie. Not really lazy, just have to teach my 80 yr. old mom how to do this stuff, and she's not multi-step friendly. :) I love anydvd and am using it with dvdxcopy from the late 321. Yes, I know it's time to move on, but as long as it works, I'm not fixing it. I would buy a new program that would work with movies for mom and back up my pc games before the rugrats mess them up or lose them. I've read, and read, and read some more, and I think Alcohol120 would work. Have I read this correctly?

My other concern is that I need to control the speed of the burner through the program and my tdk1280b will burn at 12x. When I used 8x discs my dvd players wouldn't read the movies. I was using DVDXPlatinum, but since I can't get the speed under control, I requested a refund after several customer service helps.

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  17. tdale

tdale Member

FINALLY. I have succeeded in backing up Tbe Sims 2 DVD.
    Thanks to all of you, and 3 wasted dvd blanks. No Luck with CloneCCD 5

What I did was:
    Make an image with A120. Mounted the image to a Virtual Drive woth Deamon Tools, although you can do the same with A120, Installed from that. Ran fine.

I now have a DVD with it on, but I see I need to make a data DVD with the image, that way I can install from the image, and then mount it after copying it to the HDD

Thanks again

18. helloyoda

helloyoda Regular member

I have made backups for my sims 2 discs 1-4 (not dvd version) and university (2 discs). When I install the sims 2 first, everythings great. Then when I install the university pack everything goes fine until after it installs and says "Now the sims will update to make sure everythings up to date" "Please insert disc 4" I insert disc 4 and it DOESNT detect it and keeps asking me. When I click cancel for the patch it uninstalls university. Ive made it work before but I cant remember how!!! Some one who is super smart out there, help me with this!

19. Nephilim

What happens when you try with the originals?

20. helloyoda

helloyoda Regular member

The originals work fine.