1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning Sims 2

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by rluk23, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What make/model burner did you use? What software,settings and burn speed?

2. merenwen

merenwen Member

Hi! I have downloaded Alcohol 120, and I'm currently making an image of Sims 2. Does Alcohol BURN sims 2, or make a copy of the CD to a chosen place/suitcase on the harddrive? I'm a true newbie to burning copy-protected CD's, and all these posts just make me confused... What kind of image format is required for Sims 2 to work?...

-If you answer me I will be forever grateful to you!!-

3. helloyoda

helloyoda Regular member

Its a memorex and memorex CD's. I know its not the media nor the burner cause ive seen other people have the issue.

4. tdale

tdale Member

Hi Merenwen
    As I said above, this is what I did.
    Made a 1:1 copy with A120, it installed fine, but would not run.
    I then made an A120 image on my HDD, mounted it with Daemon Tools, set the emulation in DT to Safedisc, and it runs.
    What you wnat to do, is make an image with A120, copy that to a DVDR as a data file. Mount it with A120, and you can install it. To play the game, just mount the image with A120 from the DVDR, and run the game. In short, any 1:1 burn as a duplicate of the game will install, but to run, you need an A120 image mounted. You can mount it to DT or the A120 virtual drive.
    Out of interest, if it is mounted, I acnot start the PC (XP Pro).Before I wiped my PC (!!!), I started XP in safe mode and unmounted the imnage, and it was fine. Is there a fix for that?

5. Nephilim

Don't be so quick! A successful copy of SafeDisc 3.20.022 takes the right burner, the right software and the right settings.

Before I can help I still need the exact model number for your Memorex drive as well as the software and settings that you used to make the copy.

6. tdale

tdale Member

I HAVE A WORKING SIMS 2 DVD BACKUP. BUT...

7. tdale

tdale Member

I HAVE A WORKIMG SIMS 2 DVD BACKUP, BUT... Its made with A120 image mounted to Daemon Tools. I need it on a PC with no DVD drive. I can copy the image to that PC, but it won;t run, as there is no DVD drive. Can this be worked around?

8. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

well you could just copy the image to the other pc using a LAN. or you may be able to split the dvd image and burn them onto multiple cds, but don't ask me how to do that.
    i'd do the LAN thingy

9. tdale

tdale Member

The issue is that the game wont run as there is no DVD drive in the PC.

10. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

well you don't need ANY drive in the pc as you are just going to mount the game into a virtual drive created by daemon tools

11. tdale

tdale Member

Hi Lumbjack. "well you don't need ANY drive in the pc as you are just going to mount the game into a virtual drive created by Daemon Tools "

I tested this on my PC and all good, I have a DVD burner, same with another PC. But, if the PC has no hardware DVD drive, the game says it needs the CDROM. While Daemon Tools is set corerctly,sats its a DVD virtual drive, emulation is on Safedisk , the game will not run. The only difference is that it doesnt have DVD drive, the gane must see this. It even has CloneCD virtual drive with the Hide Media option set.

12. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

i really do not think that the game "knows" whether there is a real dvd drive or not. i have never heard of such a case.

do you have clonecd installed on the other pc where the game is working?
    i've read multiple times that games don't start because of clonecd. you may even have to clean the clonecd registry entries.

do you have the latest daemon tools version?

otherwise i've got no clue as it has always worked for me. good luck

13. tdale

tdale Member

Hi again Lumbjack. This is what I did, FYI. My PC has a DVD burner, Daemon Tools 3.47 and CloneCD (virtual drive set to Hide CDR Media (this is needed to make sure game does not see a recordable disk, i.e. DVD-R or CDR). All good. Installed Sime 2 on my ex's PC, all good. (Cant recall if sahe has CloneCD or not). all good. My mates PC is also all good, but his son's does nothave a DVD drive of any sort, that seems to be the issue. The Virtul Driv from DT is a Generic DVDROM, but its a nogo on th3e DVD-less PC

14. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

hi tdale

hmmm i don't know what else you could. maybe you could plug in a dvd drive into the son's computer, just to see whether this is the issue, though i still don't think so.
    if you manage getting it to work please let me know, i've never had such a problem.
    again, good luck

15. tdale

tdale Member

Hi Lumbjack. All a false alarm! I setup a new PC that doesnt have DVD drive for my daughter last night. Popped my one in to get thge image onto the HDD. Ran Sims 2, all fine. Disconnected the DVD drive, still all ok, popped her CD burner back in, all fine. So, there is no issue. The problem was my mate got it going on his PC that has a DVD, but it would not work on his sons that has no DVD. As USUAL, my mate messes with his PC's too much , so the issue is his Windows. I wish I could get paid for the time on the phone woith him over the years....

16. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

17. sk8er1234

sk8er1234 Guest

hi i am a tru newbie when it comes to backing up....i have just downloaded alcohol 120% and i would like to have some steps on how to use alcohol 120% when trying to back up the sims 2. please...

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

For the dvd version, one can't make a true 1:1 backup of Safedisc cd protection because one can't write RAO DAO in dvd write mode. My Plexy PX-712SA easily made backups of The Sims 2 University(PC version) simply because the Plexy writes in RAO DAO mode. Certain cd burners that write RAO DAO mode can make backups of recent Safedisc cd protection but the backup must be played in a cd/dvd-rom simply because of ATIP. For a dvd version, you have to rely on programs like Daemon Tools, so forth...

19. naka5hima

naka5hima Member

Hi, i was just reading your threads on creating a backup copy of the sims2..
    If its possible could you explain all together how i can achieve the duplication of the Sims 2 PC version?

As its hard to follow through all these messages? :)

Thankyou

Naka

20. Nephilim

Welcome to AD Naka :)

First off we need to know the exact make/model burner you have and what software you may already have.