1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning speed help...8x causing errors?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by scott683, Oct 15, 2004.

1. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Anything over 4.35GB your going to need some compression. The only time you don't use compression is if your using dual layer discs.

I include everything in all my backups (don't know why, since I never watch the extra), and my backups turn out great.

2. jeff369

jeff369 Member

Sounds good. Thanks, this site was extremely helpful. Like I said, wish I found this site before spending so much money, But live and learn and you must live a long,long time to learn computers.

I'll definitly be hanging around this site from now on.

Thanks again.

3. jrochman

jrochman Guest

Scott,

Another problem could be with your PX-712 burner. There have been reported problems with the PX-712 its compatibility with Ritek G05 discs. It could also be the burner itself. There have been several discussions on other forums at http://www.cdfreaks.com and http://www.cdrlabs.com discussing possible component issues with the PX-712 burner. To ensure that it isn't your hardware, I would try using media recommended by Plextor, which can be found at http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712.htm

4. 12256180

12256180 Member

I agree with Bigwop. Totally. I was having real trouble burning on my Sony DRU DVD drive with X Copy Xpress. My movie backups would always freeze in the last 20-30 minutes or so. Or the burn would fail. I tried everything. I took the DVD drive back to the dealer. Nothing wrong with it. I swapped media. No difference. Did it on Ritek tangos, Philips RWs, whatever. I upped the spec on the writer by flashing the firmware. Then I switched to a combination of DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink & haven't looked back since. I think out of the 20 or 30 movies I tried to copy with the 321 Studio product, only about 5 or 6 could be said to be worthwhile backups. The rest freeze or become pixellated (almost always very late on in the movie). Sometimes I don't even need Shrink because the file is less than 4.7 GB, but usually I let Shrink compress the main movie & burn as well. My current pack of Ritek Tangos are a bit erratic so I've slowed the burn speed down to 2x rather than 4x. This seems to help.

Hope this contributes - basically, avoid 321 Studios X Copy Xpress - it DOES NOT do exactly what it says on the tin!

5. pfcarson

pfcarson Member

All media will work you need to burn at 4x or less, I have roxio installed and used dvd shrink and dvd decrypter and have no problems I have 2 16x dvd burners io magic and pioneer as long as you burn at slower speeds everything will be fine you must remember that you are processing a tremendus amount of data with video