1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Speed Question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Carbos5, May 3, 2005.

1. Carbos5

Carbos5 Member

I'm new at this stuff, guys, so please bear with me.
    First, here's my setup: running XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 4600, P4 3GHz, 1024MB RAM, and burning on a Plextor PX-712A. I'e been using Verbatim DVD-R's, rated 16X. My software is 1Click DVD Copy and DVD 43 for decryption. I have also used DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter when a particular movie has proved difficult, (not too often).
    My question is how do I know what speed I am burning at? If I am reading my setup correctly, I'm burning at about 8X. Shouldn't I be at 12X? Considering the burner model and the media I am using?
    So, just how do I know what speed I am burning at, and how do I increase burn speeds? Thank you.

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

So you want to know how to increase write errors.....

In all honesty the faster you burn, the more you increase chances of write errors and creating incompatibility with your DVD player. Of all the people that have been here a while and have plenty of experience, 99% of them will recommend burning at 4X or slower. The extra time required is only a few minutes and well worth the wait to get a quality burn.

I really don't have any experience with 1 Click, but I do know that it uses a special edition of CopytoDVD to burn. You should be able to set the burn speed somewhere in the options.

3. Carbos5

Carbos5 Member

I am aware that faster burns increases the likelihood of errors. However, I wanted to experiment a bit and see what my limits are, using my current setup I described. I'm thinking 12X realistic, but trying is the only way to know.
    1Click, by the way, is truly a one click operation. Great program, particularly for a n00b like myself. But, it does not have a speed option available, at least as far as I can see.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't have 1Click DVD Copy, but if it is like most other transcoding/encoding apps, you can choose to save the encoded vidio file to a folder on your hdd. Make a new folder on your hdd with a name of your choosing. For the target instead of choosing your burner locate and choose the empty folder you made on your hdd. Pick up the folder with nero to burn choosing the burn speed you desire.

My benq will burn 4x media at 8x and 8x media at 12x but I still normally burn at 4x. Whats a few more minutes to assure a good burn.

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Carbos5,

I, myself, is a long time 1Click and InterVideo user, and I can tell you that these 2 programs will burn/back up with "max speed" in accordance to what is specified in the "blank dvd-r/+r" and the capability of your dvd burner. In simple words, 1Click will burn any of your backed up movies with 12X, if the blank media stated 12X and if your DVD writer/burner is capable of burning at that speed. Other than that, even if the media has 12X, but your DVD burner/writer is capable to handle 8X only, then it's more likely going to be 8X on the results. To check on your dvd-r/+r speed after burned: simply put your dvd-r/+r backed up movies inside dvd-rom or dvd-burner drive, open up Nero, open up Info Tool, it will automatically configure and tells you the specifications of your dvd-rom and dvd-burner, now "click" on DISC, this should have all the "info" on the dvd-r/+r disc you've made. Hope this help a little.

6. Carbos5

Carbos5 Member

Lots of great info and help, guys. Thank you. Much appreciated!