1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BURNING SPEED

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by SCL, Jul 18, 2003.

1. SCL

SCL Member

I recently had a new CDRW drive put in, and I am able to burn CDs, but they don't seem to copy any faster than 12x, even though I am selecting a 32x write speed. I defragged my hd, make sure no background apps are running, etc. My computer is pretty fast so I shouldn't be having these problems. Do you think its an issue of media (I'm using maxwell 40x certified cdrs)? Is there a setting I need to tweak? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

As in, you select 32x and it CORRECTLY burns at 12x or the only way to reliably burn is to set it to 12x. If so, it might be PIO vs DMA?

btw.... just because they are Maxell 40x disc doesnt mean thay can handle 40x.... i had a very similar problem this week regarding reported and actual burning speeds....

3. SCL

SCL Member

I select 32x, so I want it to burn at 32x. However, it burns at 12x, much slower than the speed I want it to (and selected it to).

4. Praetor

1. Are you trying to burn an RW disc?
    2. Are you burning an audio (or any non-data cd) cd? I have heard about reports that some of these other types are limited to 24x (the audio cd that is). This of course is unsubstantiated... only heresay... maybe SHoey can shed some light on this....
    3. I think its the CDR media is limiting you.

5. SCL

SCL Member

The media is a maxwell 40x CD-R. They are cheap crappy ones so I would expect they'd work fine. Any CDR suggestions though?

6. Praetor

Perhaps some ATIP may shed light on the true nature of the discs.....

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Did you try and enable DMA mode as Praetor suggested? Maxell media is very good m8 and you should be burning faster than 12x. Consider trying different burning application like a freebie called BurnAtOnce. Try using ASPI Layer 4.6 as well.

BurnAtOnce:http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2003