1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning tv shows to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by idkidd, Dec 30, 2003.

1. idkidd

idkidd Member

I am completely new to this kind of thing but what I am really interested in doing is taking episodes of my favorite tv shows and burning them in high quality to dvds. what exactly do I need to do this? Is there a website or tutorial that someone can point me towards that can educate me? I don't see a anything like this listed in the Guides and am not having muck luck looking through search engines. Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What you will need is a Good Quality Video Capture device which can run you anywere from $75-$300 depending on the features and the Quality of the Device ,You will also need a seperate dedicated large and Fast Hard drive just for Video capture and haveing a Fast PC helps also..You will need good Capture Software and Probably some editing Software so you can cut out commercials an stuff like that, You will also need a Good Mpeg2 encoder so you can encode your Captured files to Mpeg2 for DVD and you will need a DVD authoring program to author your DVD"s...As For Video Capture devices it would depend on what type of Quality you want and how much money you are willing to Spend but whatever you do don"t go for a USB Device...I have owned Over a Dozzen capture Devices over the last Couple years, It seems that I am getting a New one every couple months...A Good Place for information on TV Cards is http://www.tv-cards.com/ ..TV Cards are the Cheapest way to go and do produce Fair Quality depending on the One you get but there are inherant problems with them Like Sync Problems and Dropped Frames...If you have a Couple Hundred to spend on a High Quality capture device then I would suggest getting the "Canopus ADVC-100 or 50" they are Profecinal Quality Analogue Digital Converters that produce awesome Quality and the Lock the audio and Video together at the Time of Capture so there is no chance of any sync Problems, It uses a Hardware DV Compressor to Compress the Files and it hooks to your PC Via Firewire Port ,These Captured Files can be easilly edited and encoded to high Quality mpeg2 and then authored to DVD..A Device like this Totally ByPasses the problems that are inherant to other Capture Devices...You can read about it here:
    http://www.canopus.com/US/products/advc-100/pt_advc-100.asp ..You can find them for as Low as $225 and it has a Little Brother called the ADVC-50 which is about $75 Cheaper with the Same Quality but a Couple Less Fearures...well whatever you do don"t ever listen to the salesmen at the Store as they don"t know Shit about what they sell...Cheers

3. idkidd

idkidd Member

hey thanks a lot for the info -- you sound like quite the expert! When I do this, I would definetly like to aim for the highest quality and (within reason)am not concered with price. When you mention a a fast pc and dedicated hardrive -- what are the specifiations you would recommend if you were setting up the ideal pc/hd for yourself? Also, what editing software do you recommend? Any info you give me would be great.

Thanks,
    Luke

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi ,a 120gb ATA/133 7200rpm Drive would be a Good size drive ,It would Hold about 6 hours of Full resolution video and at least a 2.0ghz PC would be needed with at least 512mb Ram not nescessarilly for the Capture Part of it but more for the Video editing and Mpeg encodeing Part of it because Video editing/Encodeing is fairly CPU Insensive...As For Video editing Software I guess it depends on what type of editing you are doing if it is Simple Cutting out of Comercials then there is Probably software that comes with the Capture device that will do basic editing like that but if you are going to add titles,effects ,transitions and add Filters ect you would need something more high end like maybe Adobe Premier or Vegas Video which are Pretty Expensive Pieces of software much more expensive than the Hardware..Luckilly for me Being in the Buisiness I get Most of this Type of Software for free or greatly discounted..The Good thing about something like Vegas Video 4 is there is a software package called "Vegas4/DVD Architect" that would do everything you would need to go from TV/VHS/Camcorder to DVD as it has a Video capture Module and a Exelent editor and a High Quality Mpeg encoder and Dolby Digital Audio encoder and a DVD authoring Program all in the same Software Package, You can check out the specifications here:
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/Products/showproduct.asp?PID=810&FeatureID=6949
    If you were serious about this I might be able to find some of the software for you at quite a discount, I usually don"t like doing this because then everyone will want me to do it for them but if you are serious then let me know and I"ll see what I can do...Have a Good One....Cheers

5. Infinite8

Infinite8 Member

I am looking for some software to record TV shows to my Hard Drive. I do not have a TV tuner card, but my new computer has S-video input and also I'm adding the ACEDvio capture card to my machine. I would like to be able to schedule it to record when I'm not at my machine. Anyone can help?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well For Scheduled Recording there are Not many Good programs for this, You could Use something Like WinDVR 3.0 and use it to Schedule it to Capture to Mpeg2 from your TV Card, it is about the Highest Quality mpeg2 capture Program there is But that is Not saying Much as Most Mpeg capture Programs are Mediocre..Scheduled Recording is not a Profecinal Feature so you will Not get the Highest Quality when useing these Programs..The ACEDVio is Best used with a DV Capture/Editing program to capture directly to DV and then Encode the files to Mpeg for DVD....well Good Luck