1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning video files to DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mewbank, Feb 23, 2008.

1. mewbank

mewbank Member

I have several video files compressed to .rar format. When i extract them, they extract to .avi format. Whats the best format to use to burn them to DVD+R , so i can watch them on a home DVD player. When i try to drag the.avi file to my DVD RW drive, it fails to copy it over.

I have WinAVi to convert them to DVD format, but when copying them to DVD, i can only copy one file to one DVD+R, and not several files to the same DVD+R. I could convert to VCD, but i have approx 25 files and they would use too many CDR's.
    I also have PowerISO program, would using this work?

Can anyone help???

2. attar

attar Senior member

Using Windows XP, dragging the files to a CD in the drive will work, but XP does not support burning to DVD's - that's why you have to use a third party program.

If your standalone DVD player is DivX certified, then the files can be burned (without conversion)to a data disk (either a CD or a DVD)instead of converting to DVD format.
    The AVI files are simply added to the disk until it's full, then burned with appropriate software.
    Of course if you are using a CD, you can copy the files by simple drag and drop.

Converting the files to DVD format uses much more room on the disk.
    If the videos are full length (two hour) movies, then the best you can expect is one title per DVD - anything more and quality drops rapidly.

For simply burning the AVI files as Data on the DVD, then 'IMGBurn' would be a good choice;it's free and constantly updated.

For converting the AVI files to DVD and creating a menu on the disk, DVD Flick is a good choice.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
    http://www.dvdflick.net/

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

attar is on the money

i'd use dvd flick or my choice convertxtodvd both apps do the lot = nice!

4. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

IMO convertxtodvd goes a bit quicker than Dvd Flick...but as Rotary stated...both apps will work.