1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Videos Onto DVD

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by eric0668, Dec 14, 2007.

1. eric0668

eric0668 Member

I am not really sure of the basics of DVD burning, although I do it all the time. I burn what my Hauppauge Tuner Card Recordings leave me

I have also even burnt recordings from Limewire.

Ocasionally I get a problem where in the program I am using, Nero 6.3.1.26 OEM Suite, and it adds the file to the project, but goes nowhere else.

I once posted a thread on here where it said to use Tmpenc. Another friend of mine who runs a forum recommended CDBurnerXPPro 3. Both of the last 2 work, but only on my computer. They do burn an image on the DVD. WEIRD. It only takes like 1 minute. None of the words TRANSCODE. Not that I know what they mean

All I know, or believe I know is this. I need to be burning MPEG2. Nero does this and is not doing this. When I am using those other programs, it is actually burning the avi file NOT a DVD compatible file, correct? If I am going to use one of those programs, I need to convert it to MPEG

Given I have that Nero program, also I have Virtual Dub (I know how to split in half my avi's), can you tell me why the Nero might not be working. Or what I need freeware wise (not working) to do to burn it.

Also, as an aside, the BestBuy guy says that my puter should work fine with Nero. It works slow and I can do little or nothing else. I do have a clean computer, i.e. spyware, in fact just formatted last week. Are there settings somewhere I need to change or is this normal

I do have Dimension 8300 2.67ghz 1gb 2x160gbhd Is it normal to hog my resources when using Nero

Thanks for helping me burn that and answering the general question about Nero

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi eric0668
    Yes it is normal when transcoding for Nero to hog your resources. Transcoding can be pretty processor intensive.

Update Nero - both packages from these links - that may do the trick - you're several versions behind.
    Package 1
    Package 2 (Vision, Recode).

Give the upgrade a go and let us know.

3. eric0668

eric0668 Member

Oh thanks so much Binkie. btw how do you send PM's on here.

3 points / questions I wanna make.

1. I am a very nervous and anxious person, yet have a great deal of potential. Math degree etc. My problems come in that I am a jack of all (not quite all that) and a Master of none. MAIN QUESTION: WHEN I SEE THAT ENTIRE LIST IN THE FORUM SHOULD I UNDERSTAND ALL OF THAT OR DO MOST PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT WHICH THEY USE ONLY (PLEASE LET THAT BE THE ANSWER lol)

2. Now the Nero I have is from a friend of mine. I do have the disk. Don't know if it was paid for or free. I guess it would be paid for since I have the disk, correct? Unless it came with something. So would that affect what you said to do with Nero.

3. Now what I managed to do (I told someone I saw that link on a recommended link and got it, DVD Flix, it is a good one right?) because I was able to get it, I then figured how to create the dvd file that has all those ts _ etc... files. then I put that into DVDXCopy something like that. I put all of the files in and highlighted it. If I would have not highlighted them Or better yet, just put the first file in would it have burned alright? As it stands it came out perfect

Nero just does both those steps for you right?
    Why can I do some nero files but others it just freezes?

I will wait for your reply, digest it all, then update the Nero and try the Next one

4. eric0668

eric0668 Member

which Nero do I need. Do I get both listed Or is one for something else.

Thx
    Eric

5. binkie7

Ok let's see
    1. I'm not really following the 'entire list in the forum' bit but I think you're on track w/ 'DO MOST PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT WHICH THEY USE ONLY. The answer would be yes - heck I don't even know it all:)

2. As long as you have a 'legal' copy of Nero you're good. Like your friend didn't install it so gave it to you. No sharing software - frowned upon here and definitely by the manufacturers.

3. DVDFlick burns too. I wouldn't DVDXCopy to do it. If you're not burning w/ DVDFlick then just use Nero Express - dvd video option. Add the video_ts folder and burn. Burning at 8x takes like 8 mins.

Yes Vision will do both - transocde and burn.

Now why it does some files and not the others - this is where the update comes in. Several fixes since the version you are using and this may take care of the problem. If not then use DVDFlick instead.
    Nero Vision can be little pickier then other programs at times. Good to have options :)

Yes as long as you have a legal copy of Nero download and install both packages. The 1st package is updates for like Burning Rom, Express etc. The 2nd package is updates for Vision, Recode etc.

6. eric0668

eric0668 Member

Ok. Well, you're batting 1000. I think the pros, and trust me I mean pros, would agree, anyone that can keep up with Eric's Revved up mind is a miracle worker.

So I am trying to keep what you said and what I have to do , physically and learn, in check. (U can see a little of that OCD coming thru too now huh?)

Ok.

What I did was fine...first of all.
    Don't know where I got DVDXCopy , do you? Must have got is from somewhere. don't have it tho.. I meant, CDBurnerXP Pro 3. That is what I used.

But it did take forever . U say that I CAN use the DVDFlick (I guess I can find out) but the Nero express is the best and MUCH quicker?

now when I go thru the process of ending up with the audio and the video (that is the transcoding) actually the audio is USEless? how come?

I have just been using Virtual Dub to break in half my avi's is that cool?

Thanks so much for your patience

7. eric0668

eric0668 Member

Hey I am in Baltimore...whitemarsh, actually. where abouts are you? You can remove/move this and tell me how to PM? LOL

Eric

8. binkie7

I'm right outside of DC.

I got DVDXCoopy from your previous post :)

You would just use Express once you have the transcoded files - it's just a burning app in Nero. So if you used another program that say just converted the files fire up Nero and burn the video_ts folder.

Yep transcoding does take awhile - rememeber it's converting to another format. So just a guess but with your specs I'd say the average time w/ Nero Vision would be 1.5 - 2.0 hrs.

The audio_ts is useless now but there was a time when dvd players needed this file structure to play the dvd.

Sure if you want to halve the avi's that's cool. If they're large and you don't mind 2 dvd's then you probably better off doing this - Larger ones will take more compression to fit on a single disc. More compression means less quality.
    Another option would be burning to a dual layer disc.

Not a problem on the help :)

9. eric0668

eric0668 Member

Oh, and I think down to 2 or 3 ?'s only

1. How do u PM on here

2. I did transcode, but now I got Nero working. Isn't that transcoding? should I just let Nero do all the work now or is there a benefit to DVD Flix then going to Nero

3. Wow I did not know that there was an option to putting a huge file onto a single layer dvd. How would I do it?

10. binkie7

To pm someone just look to the right of their post and you'll see 4 icons - the last one that looks like a person w/ an arrow next to it is the pm icon. Also under the tabs of the site there's a link called 'compose a private message'.
    Use the pm for non forum related stuff.

Yes Vision is transcoding. There really wouldn't be any benefit to using Vision then DVD Flick. Both do the same thing but if Nero doesn't work on one then fire up DVDFlick. So yeah use Nero Vision to do all the work.

Now for the big file - depends on how big it is and the file format. I' say about a 1.5 gig avi might be tops in Vision for a single layer DVD with decent quality.

Here's a guide btw for Vision. It's for Nero 7 but Nero 6 is very similar - Vision Guide

11. eric0668

eric0668 Member

Down to 2 LOL but u are teaching me a lot and I am doing fairly well on learning these programs alone. thx

1. Well, there is a benefit to using the Nero now that I have it working. I burned part two of the movie with Nero, fine. Part one will play on my little, older Magnavox DVD player but it will NOT play on my nice Denon DVD in the living room. Might there be a reason for that?

2. you say I can fit 1.5 gb on a dvd. Now I know they say 4.7 single layer. I know I should have questioned it but I never did. It could be like 700 mb and it comes to like 3.? or 4.1 gb and I need to break it down. Is there something I need to do to make sure it is compressed or is in fact the type of file that the extension and properties says it is? Or is it, hopefully, even easier than that?

thanks
    eric

has it started icing there yet?

12. binkie7

No icing here yet - hopefully if it does it will just stay down your way:)

Good to hear it's coming along.

1. What media are you using? Players can be picky. If it plays in one but not the other media is usually the reason. Good ones to use are Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or made in Japan Sony, Fuji or Maxell.
    Try taking the burn speed down a notch - may just help.

2. What Vision does is convert the file from one format to a dvd compliant one. During the conversion the bit rate is changed and file size increases - reason it gets to like 4 gig. Vision will compress it to fit on a single layer disc. I'm just guessing on the max avi size that Nero can do on a single layer disc.
    If I have a 2 cd movie/avi that both halves total 1.4 gig - Nero will be able to fit this to a single layer usually w/o having to lower the bit rate in the quality settings (more>video options>dvd-video tab).
    The lower the bit rate the smaller the file but lower the quality too.
    Usually just leaving it on automatic is fine.
    For those 2 part/cd ones I also use the merge button so that they are merged seamlessly.

13. eric0668

eric0668 Member

Up my way LOL and gee, thanks a lot\

I called my mom tonight and asked for directions to a place in DC told her I was going out down there tonight. That trick is too old. She knows I am bothering her and I wouldn't go out in this.

1. Oh really, I didn't know that the "medium" (If I am learning, I have to use the right terminology) would have that much to do with it. I am using Memorex 4.7 gb single layer dvd -R dvd's I reburned it with Nero and watched it tonight anyway.

(btw on a previous question..my friend was not using Nero and in fact went away to the Coast Guard so he gave it to me unofficially. It has been 3 or 4 years now. if he asks for it back, then we have issues. but no sharing espec back and forth here :) )

2.First part of Number 2. When u say "Vision" do you refer to One part of Nero, with the other part being "Express" and the whole thing Nero StartSmart Or are there many more parts and do I have them totally messed up. If so can you explain.

that will be its own number LOL

3. Ok Now u lost me. If this is rambling, feel free to delete it and ask me to finish the part in a PM :)

Now are u thinking I am burning ripping then copying DVDs or burning movies on my computer. That is what I am doing--movies either downloaded from Limewire where the person has a license or from movies that I burn myself from my Hauppauge tuner card

Well now lets take an example. the one movie I have tonight is 900 mb. it says movie file (now I knew it was an avi) Are all avi the same as movie files. Or could other file types be called movie file also if they were already coded in some way. Well i Know it wasn't transcoded because it wasn't put thru Nero

Onward. I put it into Nero and you are making a fool of me. It says
    "your project ' is too big'..do you wanna" Yes The project was reduced to Super Long Play. 1691 kbps is that the same kpbs as the 128 etc for a cd. just many more per sec for a dvd

Are you saying that that super long will be basically the same quality to the naked eye. And I can also upconvert it as well?

Where is MORE-VIDEO OPTIONS etc all I see is Capture Add Make etc on the right with BACK and NEXT on the bottom

And finally, yes I/We made it, merging? Was that in response to the first part of this response. you did think I burned dvds and not always downloaded or burned files. So if it was a 2 cd or dvd you would rip it and then the opposite of break it in half, hit merge (you'll still have to tell me where the merge is since I don't know where the buttons above are) and then just let it reduce the size like I told you i understand.

whooaah

(oh and btw, when I say, "You'll still have to tell me"...you don't have to tell me anything LOL Just a figure of speech. I appreciate your help so much. I am trying to stay focused on my questions and not jump all over the place. I can do that some times and regular posters on other forums with like 50000 posts dont have the patience or understand Paradigms , what others could be going thru, and why they are posting like that. YOU DO. THANKS)

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

slooooooowww down dont go to deep keep it simple my friend get DVD FLICK its free, chuck your avi or 2 avi for 1 film into it and let it ride to dvd - go make a coffee, relax and it will be almost done...

before clicking go button and making that said coffe! go to PROJECT SETTINGS and set either PAL or NTSC whatever your region is...

this app can burn to (tick that in options)

[we'll have you home for christmas buddy...]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  15. eric0668

eric0668 Member

Now am I right in assuming you are recommending me use DVD Flick as opposed to NERO? ..Even with the problem I said happened on my main dvd player, the Denon

Does something you described in your thread take care of that problem? Or was it the fact that I transcoded in DVD Flick, THEN burned them in another program that caused it? (even tho it DID work on the other dvd player, the cheaper Magnavox)

(Binkie you never commented on the Memorex dvd's..are they not the best?)

16. binkie7

Ok let's see just to add to Rotary's great post:

1. I guess the correct terminology for discs is media. Now Memerox well not always bad but not always good. They use different manufacturers so you never know who you'll get. That's why I stick w/ the ones I posted - they will pretty much play on a wide variety of players.

2. Sorry - I forgot. In Nero 6 it's called Vision Express. Kinda confusing. Vision Express and Express are 2 different apps. For what you're doing you need Vision Express. Nero SmartStart is like the control center of Nero. All the apps in Nero are listed there.

3. That is what I am doing--movies either downloaded from Limewire where the person has a license or from movies that I burn myself from my Hauppauge tuner card Yep that's what I thought you were doing :)
    Figures I say usually will handle and you get one that it needs to reduce the bit rate. On average it usually will but there are those longer (time wise) avi's that Nero will need to reduce the bit rate to fit on a single layer. Personally I would use a dual layer disc on those and skip the super long play.
    The quality on super long play would be iffy at best imho and I don't think it would look that good upconverted though I have never tried that.

When you add the video files in the screen look to the bottom left - you'll see the 'more' icon.
    For the merge button add the video files - highlight the ones you want to merge then in the bottom left of the compilation window you'll see 3 buttons - the middle one is 'merge'

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

cheap dvd players are well known to play anything, expensive are picky, down to discs / media used

i bought 5 cheap players

18. eric0668

eric0668 Member

a big AH HA on the dvd player comment Rotary thanks

Now Binkie, Vision Express is what I use it is part of StartSmart right. But not everything in Nero is right?? eg. the Media Player

Now you said u recommend using the Dual Layer . But I have to have a Dual layer drive right? I don't I know drives are relatively cheap and I should pick one up soon

so I am stuck using the super long play. that is just like the slp or something like that on a cassette too right . sort of like slowing it down to fit a lot more on it.

Until I get a new drive, would it be better doing what I was doing if I don't mind the money on the DVDs to break the avi in half with Virtual dub, because I am not sure where we stood on this. Almost all of the vids will not fit, and almost all when I have ever answered yes have ended up super long play

thanks

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

you dont need to break avi up, apps like dvd flick and convertxtodvd make it fit 1 dvdr

chuck file into dvd flick set options and burn - done easy...

20. MysticE

MysticE Active member

The size of the AVI is not relevant in the least, only the running time matters when converting to DVD.