1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning with decrypter without using Nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by adolfojm, Apr 11, 2004.

1. adolfojm

adolfojm Guest

As you requested, Pete....was not aware of the challenges you deal with....learning as I go...
    your response evoked an even deeper appreciation
    for your expertise....if it facilitates matters,
    perhaps you could point me to the guide(s) if already
    posted.....

2. michigan

michigan Guest

go to the guides tab at the top of the page. There are lots of them - happy reading

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Adolofo, here ya are - ->

Here we go, step by step - it can’t fail.

First create a folder for your HD backup. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work/My movie Name).

Next download DVD Decrypter and under mode select “ISO, Write”. Un-tick the box that says “verify”. Where it says “source”, you’ll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says “Destination”, select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

The link for the newest DVD Decrypter -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

Download DVD Shrink. Open it and click “Edit”, and then click “Preferences” under the “File I/O” Tab un-tick “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

The link for the newest DVD Shrink -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive. DO USE Ritek G04, Verbatim or media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. All other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy cheap stuff in - )

Now, take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select target device” once there, select “ISO Disc Image”. NEXT, [bold]IMPORTANT, [/bold] tick “Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image” box. Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click “Save”. That’s it ! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s working.

Enjoy my friend,

Pete

4. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Quick question: Do You have to have separate DVD Burner and DVD Rom drives? I only have a DVD burner (my second optical drive in CDRom only). For other users like me, after Shrinks decrypts and compresses will it prompt to remove original and insert target DVD for Decrypter to burn????

5. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

laboy........the shortish non-indepth answer to your question is...............no!!!! (as in you dont need 2 drives

6. mjd1988

mjd1988 Guest

I'm also new at this and have had 0 success yet as Shrink keeps giving me "encountered problems writing VB_04 etc" when I do backup.

My question is do I really need to do a backup and if yes then why do I get this error time after time. I've tried Shrink with 5 different movies and always the same error. I don't have any other DVD program except Decrypter. I've read that I MUST NOT use Decryptor with Shrink except for the odd exception.

Any help would be appreciated.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That would be a Yep !

It says an error when writing -

Does that means your complete backups are on your HD or were they being written to your HD ?

If the lader, then let's uninstall DVD Shrink and reinstall it again making sure it's 3.1.7.

Also, tell us what your settings are in "edit" - "Preferences" and we need your settings in "Backup".

Thanks, and Welcome to the Club :p)

Pete
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  8. mjd1988

mjd1988 Guest

Thanks for the help. I'm back at work now until 0700 and will try it in the morning and reply.

The one I can answer right now is they were being written to the HD. I disabled InCD as I thought that was the problem and tried again but now I'm getting Illegal operation - fatal error...very frustrated!

Thanks again and as I said before, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'll, wait to hear from you,

Best of luck,

Pete

10. Veblin

Veblin Active member

mjd1988

DVD Shrink will give that type of error if you are writing the ISO to a FAT 32 format drive or partition. Fat 32 has a 4GB file size limit and the ISO file you are writing is larger than that. You need a NTFS format drive or partition to write the ISO file to.

You can Format or Convert a drive or partion to NTFS.
    Formating to NTFS will wipe out any data on that drive or partition. Converting to NTFS will allow you to keep the data.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81003

Windows Help.
    You can choose between three file systems for disk partitions on a computer running Windows XP: NTFS, FAT, and FAT32. NTFS is the recommended file system.

It is easy to convert partitions to NTFS. The Setup program makes conversion easy, whether your partitions used FAT, FAT32, or the older version of NTFS. This kind of conversion keeps your files intact (unlike formatting a partition). If you do not need to keep your files intact and you have a FAT or FAT32 partition, it is recommended that you format the partition with NTFS rather than convert from FAT or FAT32. Formatting a partition erases all data on the partition and allows you to start with a clean drive.
    Whether a partition is formatted with NTFS or converted using the convert command, NTFS is the better choice of file system. For more information about Convert.exe, after completing Setup, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. In the command window, type help convert and then press ENTER.

There is one situation in which you might want to choose FAT or FAT32 as your file system. If it is necessary to have a computer that will sometimes run an earlier version of Windows and other times run Windows XP, you will need to have a FAT or FAT32 partition as the primary (or startup) partition on the hard disk. Most earlier versions of Windows cannot access a partition if it uses the latest version of NTFS.

Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data including programs and personal files on the partition.

11. sinman66

sinman66 Member

Stupid question for the experts..: does this (burning with decrypter & dvd shrink)apply only to burning discs smaller than 4.36gb (dvd5) or can this clever trick be used for larger discs too?
    Thanks in advance for the answer!

12. mjd1988

mjd1988 Guest

Well I think I now have my answer but here are the specs on my machine.

Processor : Intel Celeron CPU 2.40GHz 2400MHz
    Memory: 512
    Mainboard P4MA Pro
    Video Card S3 Graphic ProSavage DDR
    Floppy
    CD-RW
    DVD-RW GCE-8525B
    Win98se
    HD 40G
    File system FAT32

From what I've now read in answer to my problem it seems like the FAT32. Does this mean I must purchase Win XP to do the NTFS setting? or can I do this with Win98se?

If I can do this with Win98se, I may go out and buy a new HD and try to install it, as I don't really want to loose everything I have on C.

Thank you and I'll await for the answer before doing anything else.

13. Veblin

Veblin Active member

sinman66

This applies to to both dvd5 and dvd9 discs but it does require that you have a version of Windows (XP, 2000, NT) that supports NTFS format partitions and you use a NTFS partition. If you use a version of Windows that does not support NTFS (95, 98, ME) you would have to set DVD Shrink “DVD Target Size” as custom and set the size as 4096MB or less. It would then work because it would work with the FAT 32 4GB file size limit, but I would not recommend it. That would cause lower quality video and waste some DVD space.

mjd1988

I guess you have a few choices.

Upgrade to XP. This would be the best choice.

Set the file size in DVD Shrink to work within the FAT 32 4GB limit. This works but is not a very good choice.

Get a program that will allow you to use NTFS partitions with Windows 98.
    Paragon NTFS for Win98
    http://www.paragon-gmbh.com/f_ntfs.htm
    This will work, but why not upgrade to XP.

Use a program like AutoShrinkISO that works with DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter and FAT 32.
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/autoshrinkiso/
    This program will split the ISO so that it can be used on FAT 32 partitions.
    Split image? Yes (FAT32) or No (NTFS) . Choose Yes only if using FAT32 4GB file limitation.
    This will work and is probably the best option if you are going to stay with Windows 98 and FAT32. It just adds another step in the process.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  14. mjd1988

mjd1988 Guest

Thanks for the answers....Is XP Home or XP Professional best or either one will do.

Thanks so much

15. michigan

michigan Guest

XP Home is fine unless you need more security and networking options.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Don't ya just love it when ya get there for the easy ones ?:)

Ooohh Yea, the answer -

The major difference between "Home" and "Professional" is that XP Pro is more for networking PC's. If you aren't networking then "Home" is just fine :D)

Pete

17. michigan

michigan Guest

Easy ones? I researched that for days :D

18. sinman66

sinman66 Member

For those who have been having problems and getting error messages.., could it be because the correct versions of DVD decrypter and DVD shrink are not being used?I understand you need DVD shrink 3.1.7b3 or above and the latest version of decrypter as well.

veblin, thanx for your tip re. NTFS, I do have WinXP Home, but at what stage do I specify that NTFS partitions should be used or does this happen automatically with XP?

19. Veblin

Veblin Active member

In My Computer, right click on any hard drives you have and select Properties. The File system for that drive will be shown on the General tab.

When Windows XP was installed on your computer, there were options at that point as to what partitions and file systems that would be used. If you computer came with XP installed, the manufacturer made those choices, unless you have since reinstalled windows yourself.

Many people who upgrade to XP don't understand this step or because they don't know the advantages of NTFS, they install XP on their old FAT 32 partitions. That's not really a problem until you come across a need to have a file size bigger than 4GB like in this case. Of course there are also other advantages to using NTFS.

You can convert a FAT 32 drive to NTFS.
    Click Start.
    Click Run.
    Type cmd or command
    Press Enter or Click OK.
    At the command prompt
    Type help convert
    This will list the convert command syntax.
    Example: to convert drive C.
    Type CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The best information on streaming media recording.
    The Streaming Media Recording Forum.
    http://pub25.ezboard.com/bstreemeboxvcr[/small]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  20. sinman66

sinman66 Member

Thanks again veblin, that was very helpful.Will get back when I've tried the burning operation with Decrypter+shrink....