1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning with Linux ? weird problem

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by eLeCTR0n, Apr 16, 2005.

1. eLeCTR0n

eLeCTR0n Regular member

I am using Slackware Linux and I always get problems when burning CD's. I can burn files on a CD fine but copying CD's doesnt work. The files look like they were burned on the CD and everything seems fine but when I try to open the files on a Windows machine it doesnt work. The CD's I tried to burn are some Windows CD's, just normal CD's no protection or anything.
    I am using readcd -clone to make read the CD to an image file plus a .toc file then write the image to a CD using cdrecord -clone

Please help!!

2. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

Try using a graphical front end like CDRTOASTER and see if you have any luck.

3. eLeCTR0n

eLeCTR0n Regular member

I've used CDRTOASTER before but I actully like running the commands myself so I have better control over what's going one. But even with CDRTOASTER, it's the same thing.
    MilesAhed: can you burn Windows CD's perfectly with Linux?

Thanks

4. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

ok i have no experience at all with linux but try this:

download isobuster

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

and install it on windows.

then put in your linux burned cd and start isobuster. maybe it can locate the files on the cd.

5. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

Mostly I burned CDs in Linux to back up data files. Stuff like downloads. So I usually burned data CDs. There are many Linux ngs on usenet. You'll probably find the answer faster if you post your question on one of the general Linux groups. If there's a group for the distribution you use ask there also. I'm sure you'll find people who run cdrecord from the command line on those groups. Very techie people hang on the Linux groups. I'd advise posting any info such as error messages or logs from the burn or whatnot so that you don't get hostile reactions. :)

I'm an occasional Linux guy. So when I take 6 months off from using it I forget a lot of what I learned. Plus the new distros are always changing stuff to make it easier to use trying to compete with Windows. It's future shock with every release it seems. :)

Last edited: May 7, 2005