1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning with Nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Pna352, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Hey everyone i'm new with this burning thing but have a few questions....I purchased a Pacific Digital 16x dvd burner and the features on it are great. It came with Roxio Easy DVD/CD creater, but i decided to buy Nero instead. I installed everything right and opened it up to try to burn a dvd. I decprtyed my dvd with DVD Decrptyoer and shrank it wit DVDshrink, and used NeroExpress to burn it. I got everything started and it looked good, but it wouldnt burn anymore than 1 percent. The timer is still moving but it wont go any higher then 1....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Pna352, welcome to aD,

a ScubaPete guide for Uninstalling Roxio and Nero,

"WHOAH there partner, I didn't say I wanted to get rid of Nero ~" No, you didn't. BUT if you had Nero on your PC along with Roxio then Nero almost assuredly has a corrupted file or 3. Just in case, so matters don't go "downhill," let's get everything up and running and in perfect shape. To do so, let's do a "CLEAN UNINSTALL" with Nero and then install it in perfect condition.

You say you have Roxio. Roxio is, IMO, the worst program you can have on your PC if you wish to work with DVD Video. It does it's best to trash almost every other DVD backup proggy there is except DVD Shrink. One extremely good program, Nero, is one that Roxio messes with the most. True there are a very few pple who have them both on their PC BUT by far, the vast majority of pple who have had them both on their PC's have had major headaches and have had to get rid of Roxio. As I'm sure any search through our threads will show you it's a wise decision. Even getting rid of Roxio is a problem as it weaves itself all through your system and you require a special proggy to get rid of it even after you've uninstalled it.

We're here because you've probably had trouble burning that can be traced to our archenemy Roxio CD-Creator or one of his henchmen.

The best way to rid our selves of Roxio is remove him through "Control Panel", "Add and Remove Programs".

After you've done that, I'm thinking you haven't gotten all of Roxio, actually you haven't, you need to run this -
    Remove all types of Roxio tentacles and tendrils with Roxio Zapper –

Find it here: http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Once you've done that, reboot your PC to "flush everything out of your PC's system :)

Now, again, you must uninstall Nero COMPLETELY.

This will help you do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.htm

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys.

Load Nero up from here:

http://www.ahead.de/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

When installing and uninstalling programs it's a good practice complete the operation with a PC reboot. It only takes a minute, help it can, hurt it won't.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again.

IF YOU ALL OF THE STEPS (and didn't skip just one that "couldn't possibly" make a bit of difference) THEN, WE SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO - YIPPIEEE ! !

Now let's see how we do -

Pete

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  3. Pna352

Pna352 Member

When you say reboot, do u just mean to restart, or to completly reboot my whole entire system( using the xp disc that came with my computer) ?

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

reboot is = to restart.

Your Windows CD could allow you to "Boot" from it or allow you to Re-Install Windows.

So the term reboot means to just shut down Windows and just Restart your PC. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  5. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

Just to let you know, dvd shrink actually decrypts the dvd aswell as shrinking it.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Actually, DVD Decrypter can only decrypter the DVD and can also be used as a burning engine like Nero. Only programs like DVD Shrink or CloneDVD2, also many others, can actually "Shrink" a DVD9 to a DVD5 for example.

7. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Hey i actually bought Nero at Best Buy so, cant i just install that one instead of the version from thier website

8. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

sorry I may have missed something here, are you saying that dvd shrink doesnt decrypt the dvd aswell as shrinking ?

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

SDempsey

Before your edit you had "DVD" by itself and didn't have "Shrink" after it. When I read your post I felt you were speaking about DVD Decrypter. Now that I read your post with it's changes, I agree with what you have stated. :)

Yes, DVD Shrink does it all, decrypts and shrinks. But since it has not been updated for quite sometime, it needs help from AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter.

Pna352

Yes you can, and any updates that might be needed can be downloaded from their website as well.

10. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

yeah sorry, I missed out the word shrink

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It's Not your fault...

I was the one that "assumed" what you meant...

and we all know what that means!!! <G>

12. Pna352

Pna352 Member

alrite thanks, ill try it out

13. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Still no luck !... i did all the things the Scubaguy said to do ( completly uninstall Roxio and Nero, restart, zapped the roxio files, Clean Uninstall Nero, restart, re-install Nero, restart). I opened up Nero again to try to burn but it just went to 1 percent and didnt go any futher for about 5 minutes. PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

[bold]{{{{{{{Try my post below first}}}}}}}[/bold]
    OK if you have done everything that ScubaPete has asked and still no luck try updating the firmware for your DVD writer I'm not sure which writer you exactly have but this link is for all the Writers that pacific digital supports http://www.pacificdigital.com/dl/pafiledb.php?action=category&id=6
    you should be able to find your drive there and download and install the [bold]CORRECT[/bold] firmware.
    Also what media are you using? Brand/type
    Have you tried other ways to make your back ups? The link in my signature will take you to a site that has plenty of guides and insure you are on the right path. Try using the ScubaPete guide first it is the easiest and both programs are free!! DVD Shrink / DVD Decrypter

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

16. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Two things..1) My device manager will not open. Everytime i try, it just closes, so im not sure wat file 2 download 2) When i tried downloaing the other thing, it saus something bout a 16 bit system and i couldnt open it

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What are your system specs???
    Operating system??

Sounds like you need an upgrade?

18. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Hp, AMD Athlon XP-M processor 2800+(2.13 ghz) with PowerNow! Technology...60 gig harddrive....768 mb ram....Windows xp OS....64 mb vid card

19. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Ive upgraded my notebook a lot. The ram and the usb (1.1 to 2.0 High Speed). My computer is great and running very smooth, just this Nero thing that isnt running.

20. Pna352

Pna352 Member

One more thing i noticed...in nero when it asks me wat i would like to use (drive/burner), the choices are my external Toshiba Burner or a Image Recorder..is there any signifcance in the one i use