1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning with Nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Pna352, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Pna352

Pna352 Member

need help with Nero burning...Only burns one percent and no more...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im ready to throw the whole damn computer out the window

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I'm going to ask a couple of dumb questions first, just to make sure of a couple of things...

1. You do have a power supply hooked up to your laptop and also a separate one for the burner, right?

2. You said that you could not open Device Manager to view your settings. If you are running windows xp there is no reason it should shut down on you during that view so we need to work on that first to see what it shows.. OK? Try it again and tell me what happens so that you cannot view it. All it should be is just right clicking on My Computer, selecting properties, Hardware, and then devices.

3. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Yes all of the power cables are perfect, and for the device manager, it just closes, i get to the section and select hardware, click on device manager it opens and then closes about 1 second later

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thats a first for me I have to admit. You have got to have some sort of software issue then.

Try this:

Control Panel
    Performance and Maintenance
    Administration Tools
    Computer Management
    Device Manager

Then see what it says for ATA IDE secondary channel and also your DVD/CD drives

5. Pna352

Pna352 Member

That only stays open for a second and then closes just like the device manager

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Last note for the night, does this happen when your Burner is plugged into your laptop also?

7. Pna352

Pna352 Member

U mean that the manager doesnt open ?

8. Pna352

Pna352 Member

No matter wat i do the device manager or the other thing u said wont open

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It sounds like you need to reinstall Windows. You have bigger issues right now than your burner not working. It's going to be hard to back up DVD's on a unstable system which is what you have right now. You need to first get your operating system working properly. You could try to do a system restore to a point when everything was working good. If that doesn't work try to just reload Windows.

10. lurkyloo

lurkyloo Member

ScubaPete - you are terrific! Thanks so much for your willingness to walk us through it - I am going to learn a lot!

Jen

11. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Ok i rebooted my whole enitre xp system and everything is running fine with the device manager. I reinstalled Nero and tried to burn again, but once again it will only burn 1 percent and thats it. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Still having problems with nero and need desperate assiastance. Nero only burns one percent and doesnt write anything else. Rebooted system, updated drivers/Nero. Clean uninstall/reinstall Nero. Did everything as previously suggested, but still not working. PLEASE HELP ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Pna352,

I would like to know:

How much FREE space is on your HD ?
    AND,
    What type of media are you using, brand, etc.Also, EXACTLY what does the error say and what are you doing percicsly when the error occurs - and finally, IMPORTANT: Do you have an error log and can you post it so we can see what Nero is reporting ?

I'd like you to try to answer as many of these questions as you can - they are all important and they may help us to find your solution in a more timely manner.

As you are working to gather your information,
    Have you updated all your OS updates ? i.e. If you're running XP, do you have SP2 and all the updates for it loaded onboard ?

Have you checked all of your PC's programs to be sure they have all of their drivers and versions updated ? Even if they aren't burning related ? We never know what's important and there's no time like the present :)

Have you tried checking your burning basics ?

Have you flashed your Firmware ?

Do you have a working ASPI layer ?

When was your last Disk Defrag ?
    If you have to think about it, it's been far too long.
    You need to do it now ! ! !

What is your burner's IDE location ?

What are your burner's Jumper settings ?

What type of media are you using ?
    (Of major importance if you're having any trouble burning discs.)

What is the name of the DVD you are trying to backup ?

What programs are you using ?
    To rip ?
    To edit ?
    To Burn ?

If you are using Nero, are you using Nero's Burning ROM ?
    Using Nero Express ?

What Guide OR Guides are you using ?

Was there an error ? What exactly did it say ?

IMPORTANT: Do you have an error log and can you post it ?

Exactly where were you and what are you doing when your error occurred ?

Do you have any Roxio products installed on your PC ?

Are you operating in the PIO or DMA transfer mode ?

Handy tools to help you find out about your PC ~

To check firmware, at the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your firmware. There are also some firmware updates at this site.

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

ASPI Checker.
    Ascertains your ASPI layer's presence and operation status

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...nguage=English+US&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

DVD Identifier.
    Provides us with important info about your discs.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Nero Info Tool.
    General system information: Drive operation & support
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

FILE INFORMATION

Where did the files you're working with come from ?
    Are you ripping an original DVD ?
    Are you trying to copy a copy ?

Are these downloaded files ?
    What format are they in, RAR, Bin/Cue, AVI, VCD, SVCD, MPEG2, DVR, WMV, MPEG 2 DVD compatible, ISO or VOB's ?

What do you wish to do with them ?
    Burn them to DVD's ?
    A single (4.7GB) DVD ? A Dual Layer (8.5GB) DVD ?

Meanwhile, while you're compiling your information, I'm going to ask
    our aD resident expert Craig to stop by and sea if he can lend a hand. Craig is a Nero tech and can usually solve our problems in forum. If it turns out he cannot, he has and I'm sure will take them to work with him and give them priorty treatment.

Hang in there and he'll get to us as soon as his scheduale permits. Like us, he is here on his own time -

Cheers all,

Pete

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  15. Pna352

Pna352 Member

thanks you for your time pete.. here is the information of yuor request....
    60 gig hd,i dont quite understand wat u mean by media but the burner is a pacific digital that comes up toshiba on my cmp.,no errors pop up on my error log it just says wrting up at 16x and after wating an hour at 1 percent i always have to restart my comp,have all updats and xp sp2 all programs are updated, i have no idea about firmware and the ASPI layer says that i have not installed it correctly when i went to all the links, i rebooted(reinstalled windows) about 2 days ago,im not sure about the IDE loacation,or jumper settings and im usein 16x 4.7gig verbatim discs, i am tryin to back up a dvd of seinfeld, im usein DVD shrink and Nero version 6.6 something(i updated it), ive tried both Nero burning rom and nero express and both dont burn more than 1 percent or show any errors,nero guides(i guess),no errors reported,have had roxio on comp. but took it off,not sure about PIO or DMA transfer mode,rippin senifeld season dvds and for type it says nero showtime file,and yes all i want to do is burn dvds, the dvds are 4.7 gig and the video im tryin to burn as been shrank and decrpted if theres anything else you need please feel free to ask....ps is it a problem that my box says Pacific Digital but it comes up on my comp. toshiba ?

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

pna352,

You have 60GB of HD with nothing on it ? That s/b fine -

For Firmware, go to your drive's Mfgr's web site, locate the exact drive and do a firmware upgrade. You must have an ASPI layer - it's what allows your PC to talk to your burner. Install one.

For your transfer mode, go to Device Manager check your IDE cable, right-click on properties for the drive and find your transfer mode in "advanced" OR just uninstall your drives and reboot your PC so that when it comes back on it will properly restore the proper mode to your drives.

Let's cut your burning speed back top a nice 4X. Just because it says 16X doesn't mean it will do anything well at that speed.

This will help –
    There are some things we should check as they have a direct influence over how our drive behaves -

Physically, Your burner s/b set as "master" on your IDE cable and the IDE cable s/b an 80-pin cable not a 40-pin. Always double-check your burner's jumpers to make sure they are correctly set for master, not slave if you installed the burner yourself.

1. Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to eliminate any "bugs" found in your drive and to "introduce" your burner to all the different kinds of media to your burner is likely to run into and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media is introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new firmware updates OR "Flash upgrades" come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date. It's good to keep your burner up-to-date as it "tweaks" your burner and keeps it operating at peak performance.

Of major Importance – When dealing firmware, you must match your burner's exact model with the proper Firmware. Trying to "Flash" your burner with something "Close" won't do it. It must be the exact firmware for your drive. ("Flashing" is what the installation is referred to when you put the firmware into your drive.) Trying to "Flash" your drive with some other drive's firmware can ruin your drive.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also –

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Always check your burner's Mfgr's "Support" section to see if some newer Firmware is there -

Firmware, You can't burn without it -

Now we need to see if we have a working ASPI Layer.

"Yea right, and ASPI stands for Another Stupid Piece of Insanity, right ?" No, not quite, it stands for "Advanced SCSI Programming Interface". "Well that tells me nothing, what's it do ?" That's a much easier question to answer. It is kind of a "translator" allowing your software to talk your hardware in a manner that your hardware will understand. Let's imagine an Earthman trying to talk to a rock. Now, think of a sledgehammer as being the interface. With the interface in play, the Earthman can tell the rock to disperse into gravel no matter what planet the rock is from, OK ? Good, let's see if we have a sledgehammer –

2. Check for your ASPI Layer. If one isn't present, we'll need to get one and reinstall it, then reboot our PC to allow it to "settle in".

ASPI Checker -
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Force 1.8 ASPI Layer -

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

Finally, we need to check your DMA. "Ooohh, no you're not ! Only my husband or my Doctor checks my "D", "M" . . whatever . . ." No, no, it's OK, DMA stands for "Direct Memory Access" transfer mode OR as we say in the computer field, it's a really, fast way to move stuff. Many PC's today are using UDMA or "Ultra Direct Memory Access transfer mode, or as we like to call it, a really super-duper fast way to move stuff as opposed to the PIO mode. The PIO or Programmed I/O mode, is a technique whereby the system CPU and support hardware directly control the transfer of data between the system and the hard disk since shortly after the beginning of PC's up until the mid-1990's. So we want DMA (fast) more than we PIO (slow).

3. Let's check your Drive's transfer mode. It should be DMA-4, not PIO.
    Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving six CRC errors and drops it down to the much slower PIO mode.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager
    1. Go to "My Computer, ""System Tools," "View System Information," then System Properties, "Hardware," Then Open Device Manager
    2. Double-click IDE ATA//ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
    3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your burner is connected and select Properties. Now click the Advanced Settings tab.
    4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if available if the current setting says, "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already says, "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must "toggle" the settings. That is, change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click "OK".
    Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to "DMA if available".

OPTION: Right-click the burner and select "Uninstall" and then "OK" all prompts until the PC reboots. Upon rebooting, the PC should "find" your burner and reinstall it setting it by "Default" to DMA.

Lastly, when did you last defrag your Hard Drive (HD) ? If you have to stop and think about the last time you did it, then it's way, way overdue. Here we go, (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter. When it opens, choose your HD, analyses it to see where we stand then if you need it (you probably will) choose Defragment.).

After you finish doing it now you might want to think about having "Scheduled Tasks" in your Control Panel do it for you on a daily basis.

A fragmented HD not only drastically slows down your system but it can cause all number of things to happen inside your PC, a messed up burn being one of them.

Once we've done that, our DVD burner should operate at peak efficiency :D)

Cheers,

Pete

Now let's see if everything will work together the way we want it to, OK ?

Give it a test run and let us know how you make out -

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  17. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Thank you for your time Pete, another quick question....when i ope my device manager and select IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, i dont think my burner is under the "master section" but rather its in the "primary". When i open it to do the DMA thing it has 2 section, one is Device 0 and Device 1. Now Device 0 on Transfer Mode is set to:DMA if avaiable and the current Transfer Mode is set for: Ultra DMA Mode 5....Now Device 1 is set like this... Transfer Mode is set for DMA if avaiable and the Current Transfer Mode is set for:Not Applicable. IS this right ?????

18. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Also the ASPI checker you have isnt ment for the os windows xp. So no matter what i do with that one it will provide incorrect information.

19. hursty

hursty Active member

you can check the status of your aspi layers with nero info tool
    although nero comes with its own

20. Pna352

Pna352 Member

Hey i think the problem mite have something to do with my ASPI. IF someone can sent me a link or something where i can install the version for windows xp, i would greatly appreciate it