1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning WMA files in WinXP

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by ciscomd, Apr 8, 2007.

1. ciscomd

ciscomd Member

Hi,

I just joined the forums. Thanks for having me.

I'm having some trouble burning CDs with WinXP. I recently discovered that my car plays WMA and I was thrilled so I want to consolidate my albums by burning several to a single disc.

So, first I rip them using Windows Media Player (WMP).

Then I go into the folder and click "write these files to an audio CD."

I can go into each album's folder and click that and it will keep adding them onto each other until I'm ready to burn. The problem is, once I click burn, WMP converts them to .cda format and they will not all fit on one disc. You can see this defeats the whole purpose of why I am doing this.

So the next thing I do is go into each folder, highlight the tracks, right-click, and click Send To--->CD Drive

Then I go to the CD drive, "Write these files to CD" and select Data CD. This works, except for one catch: no matter what order I arrange the songs in, it rearranges them before writing so that they are like:

Album 1, track 1
    Album 2, track 1
    Album 3, track 1
    Album 1, track 2
    Album 2, track 2
    Album 3, track 2

etc., etc.

The only way I can figure around this is to rename each track so that they start with consecutive numbers; 1, 2, 3, 4, . . . This is very annoying and time-consuming when you are trying to burn 200 tracks.

A friend suggested iTunes so I tried it out but I did not like it at all. Every time I tried to add my WMA files it added a bunch of weird songs that aren't even on my hard drive. I couldn't stand that software at all.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

2. stickweed

stickweed Regular member

Don't burn with Windows media player, burn the wma in another program like Nero. If you don't know where the music files are saved it will propably be default in your my documents/my music/artist blah blah.

take those WMA's and drag and drop them into NERO. if you dont want them converted into cd format, make sure to select DATA cd.

3. ciscomd

ciscomd Member

Ahh, thanks but I don't think Nero is the right solution for me.

First, I couldn't even get it to install. The first time I started the installation and it told me I needed to reboot my computer to finish. I clicked OK, my computer rebooted, and then nothing else happened. I checked everywhere and even performed a Windows Search and Nero was not installed.

I tried again and during the installation it said one of the .cab files was corrupt.

I'm not going to try a 3rd time on a piece of software that big, and as I understand it you have to pay for full functionality (correct me if I'm wrong?)

This is very frustrating. It seems like a very simple problem but the more I look the more I begin to realize there is no simple solution. This was a poor oversight on the Windows designers' part in my humble opinion. I just want to be able to have a general idea of where I can find a song when I'm driving down the road instead of scrolling through 200+ tracks and guessing. Plus, I like the way songs are arranged by their producers.

4. ciscomd

ciscomd Member

Ok you're never going to believe this. I got Nero installed, arranged my songs, burned my CD, then popped it in to listen and it has the exact same problem.

My jaw almost hit the floor.

5. stickweed

stickweed Regular member

You didn't click audio cd did you? you selected data cd?

6. ciscomd

ciscomd Member

Yes. I don't think that is related to the problem at all. The CDs are burning fine, it's just that the tracks are burning in their own order instead of the order I am arranging them in.